anyone tried this new design Walbro?

They have had that listed that way for awhile. Not sure what "new" means.
I thought fullthrottle site had it listed as a kit with the hot wire kit, but it doesn't look like it.:confused:
The racetronix site shows the same pump with their kit.

i just got a new 340 a month or so ago. so far so good. fuel pressure is fine and i log it to make sure i dont get any weird readings.

I was all set to get the Walbro 340 and Racetronix hot wire kit and ran across this on Full Throttle

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - BUICK TURBO HP FUEL PUMP KIT - Kit Configuration Page

There is nothing new about the F20000169 apart from a supposed production fix a while back. This is a generic GM kit bundled by Walbro.

Our pump kit uses the GSS340M, is a more comprehensive and specific to the TR's. They are available in our web store. TurboTweak Home carries them as well. Please read our web ad which decribes the differences.

There is nothing new about the F20000169 apart from a supposed production fix a while back. This is a generic GM kit bundled by Walbro.

Our pump kit uses the GSS340M, is a more comprehensive and specific to the TR's. They are available in our web store. TurboTweak Home carries them as well. Please read our web ad which decribes the differences.

ordered, thanks

This is the right move. No single pump performs as good as Red's.

Here are five that do outperform reds: Bosch 044 placed in-tank, Bosch 413 placed in-tank, Apexi BNR-32 in-tank, Desno Supra in-tank below 70 psi, Pierburg for the Mercedes SL55 AMG external.

VooDoo Magic. It's a Walbro...

307vs340

Richard Clark has tested off-the-shelf Walbros against Reds. He will not say exactly what the differences are but Reds pumps out perform the others. Pretty sure my money is on Richard being correct.

Bryan

Richard Clark has tested off-the-shelf Walbros against Reds. He will not say exactly what the differences are but Reds pumps out perform the others. Pretty sure my money is on Richard being correct.

Bryan

A Walbro pump is crimped closed at the factory so the only external change that can be made is to the pressure bypass valve. Anybody can push this in with a small screwdriver and hammer. To take apart a Walbro pump is to destroy it. Is this worth paying extra $ for?

RX-307vs340-s.jpg

Up until around year 2K the Walbro GSS307 and GSS340 shared all the same parts. The only difference was that the GSS340 had a heavier spring in its pressure relief valve. This allowed the GSS340 to operate at higher pressures before the valve would open to dump fuel back in the tank. People soon realized that by shimming / modifying the spring on the GSS307 the same performance could be had at a lesser price. The pressure relief valve is an important safety feature which prevents dangerous pressures being built up in the fuel system should the pump's outlet become restricted. Many vendors and customers started modifying the valve which must have been one of the contributing factors to Walbro's design changes to these pumps. Racetronix has seen performance tests conducted on GSS307 pumps many years ago where a shimmed GSS307 would outperform a GSS340. This data would be accurate in its day when both pumps shared the same armature but this no longer holds true. The sad part is that certain vendors use this dated information to sell customers on modified GSS307s just for the sake of putting a few extra dollars in their pockets. Current production GSS307 and GSS340 pumps no longer have an opening in the cap allowing access to the valve's spring. The current GSS307 has an armature design which is different from all of the GSS34x pumps in Walbro's lineup. This encapsulated armature is better suited to the lower pressure applications (under 60PSI) for which the GSS307 was originally intended. When compared to a GSS340 the GSS307 will draw more current to produce the same pressure. Many would ask why offer the GSS307 if the GSS340 can provide better performance all around? Perhaps the original idea was the price point? At one time normal retail on a Walbro GSS307 pump was around $200US. Today it is not uncommon to see the same product being sold for around $100.00. The cost difference between the two pumps is only a few dollars. Racetronix has therefore decided to discontinue offering the GSS307. Where applicable current product will be bundled with GSS340 pumps only. We believe this is in the best interest of our customers.

I would like to get to the bottom of this myself.

I have been told by several "GURU'S" that Red's pump is no more than a stocker with some resistance or something like that taken out of it... I have been told it is not good for the longevity of the pump... I don't know. Like I said I would like to get to the bottom of it too...

I feel pretty sure walboro didn't make special pumps for Red...