Anyone here work in a Auto Body/Paint supply store?

Buicksx2

RCA: Home of the The Jack
Hi All,

Does anyone here on the board work in an auto body supply/paint store?

I have a couple questions on paint/costs. I can email you privately if you wish.

Also to paint a TR about how much paint does it take? 1 quart, 2 quarts???

Thanks in advance.

Rich,
I work at a paint shop in Michigan. Paint prices vary by manufacturer/brand, and color. I use DuPont at my shop.
To paint an entire GN basecoat/ clearcoat it will probably take around 2 quarts of basecoat. Plus reducer. And, 3 quarts to a gallon of clear. For which you will need hardener and reducer as well.
I could get prices for you if you need them.
Brian

Body Shop!!!!

Brian....I wish I lived in MI {My gf is going to law school there though} I have had my WE-4 on this guys "List" since JANUARY !!

He keeps promising me the MOON.....but I don't think my car will EVER get painted.

I've been to two other body shops here in NJ and it's the same Bull-****........collision collision collisoin.....nobody wants to do a Re-Paint. Sucks

Tom

87We-4
IT GOES
:(

I work in a body shop and it is all about profit and how everyone gets paid. Would you WANT to do something that takes you 3 times as long to complete but makes you 1/3 the money?

Basically it comes down to this: Pay them the amount it would take to make them WANT to do the job and it'll get done. Beg for a "deal" and the job will get done accordingly.

It's a sorry situation and it has more to do with the employees and their pay scale. Body work is not like a regular job with regular pay. It's a complete different world.

Your car will get done I'm sure, they just have to do other cars in the mean time to make sure the shop is profitable and make up for the Non profit work of a repaint..

It really depends on the current condition of the body panels and the existing paint. A good body man could do it in no time if the existing paint is decent and The panels are straight .It also depends on how much has been done by someone else previously. If this is good to go, this is quick money or what my friend refers to as "gravy"
If you are like me and have to strip it down as the lacquer paint is pealing, and would like a new car look ie...door jams,underhood trunk, removing old rubber and painting before insertion of new rubber parts etc...then they are gonna have to be offered a sweetener.$$$$!!!!
I am partial to PPG finishing products. Look at Raven Black ,and Midnight black. Both single stage applications and chips are an easy fix with out the clearcoat to worry about. I paint my own at a friends body shop and have been very satisfied with the 3 cars that I have painted with these products.
wherever you take it just make sure they know their stuff. Black is very unforgiving to a body shop.

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.

Is there someplace I wcould go to look at color books?

Can you buy color books from paint stores??

Thanks again.

A good body shop should have some color books . The PPG store definately has them but I don't think they are for sale.

I have an older brother who works in a body shop.
I'll ask him what it would cost to do the whole thing.
Door Jambs, Wheel wells, ............
I'll ask him a price based on the car having no damaged panels.
Basecoat/clearcoat.
They use PPG products

BTW.
He works at a shop here in Michigan.

I have been painting cars for 20 plus years, and tho they have made tremendous progress in the paint and body materials that are used (the urethanes are soooooooooo much better:cool: ) the actuall process of doing bodywork and painting is still pretty much the same, its ALL manual labor, and its Very messy. Also, with the newer paint systems, including undercoats, such as etch primers, epoxies, and urethane primer surfacers, you have to use fresh air resperators, plus the use of a spray booth that can cost anywhere between 30 and 60 thousand dollars if it has a paint mixing room also. Using these newer products is very dangerous to the human body if not used properly, its NOT like the old laquer days! Basically the bottom line is look for a shop that uses NAME BRAND materials (PPG, Du Pont, etc, etc) and doesnt skimp on the reducers used either. Make sure the shop has a good spray booth thats kept up and the shop is relatively clean. Alot of times a few of the employees are enthusiasts also, which goes along way to getting a super good job done at a "production" shop. Dont overlook dealers too, they have the money and resources to put into their bodyshop to keep it updated. I work for a Ford dealer in Cleveland as the head painter and we have had numerous people come in to have their Gt's, Cobras, Turbo, and supercharged T-birds repaired and or completely re-painted, including the Saleen Mustangs ( a few lived in Buffalo).
If somebody says they can paint your whole car for 1500 bucks, I'd be a bit leary, you do get what you pay for:D Mark

Brian, I would be interested in a ballpark price for materials! I am planning to buy the equipment and PAINT IT MYSELF! I have some experience and a few friends that have painted several cars in the proccess of restoration. The last project was a frame off restore of a 72' chevy shortbed. It turned out very nice. I think the paint materials for that project were $500-$1000.

Butch

Anybody in middle to southern New Jersey that can do my car??

It's NOT bad......if fact it's just a few scratches and minor dings.....I don't want the car stripped.....I just want fresh paint/clear......!!

Maybe I should start my own shop. I mean...hey....I'm a "handy" guy......and I'll do nothing but GN's and make a frickin fortune!

Tom