Anyone here work at Advance auto parts

whitehot1

Here is what happened to me last night when i went to the local Advance auto parts to buy some Valvoline VR1 oil that was on sale.

I entered the store and picked up a shopping basket to put the oil in. Went to the oil section and put 5 quarts in the basket then go to the counter to get checked out, when i get to the counter, there was an opened roll of scott work towels sitting there so i moved them oven so that i could put my basket there. The salesman took the oil out of the basket and scanned it for the price and tried to sale me an oil filter and hand cleaner which i declined to buy. I paid for the oil and he bagged it up,i picked up the bag off the counter and he then picked up the open roll of towels that i had moved over out of the way earlier and he sat them down on the counter where they had been before i had moved them. I walked out of the store at a normal pace not being in a hurry i placed the bag in the trunk and got into the car and sat there for at least 2 to 3 minutes messing with the radio stations,so he had plenty of time to let me know i had forgotten my towels. When i woke up this morning i was thinking that the total for the oil didn't sound right, so i checked my receipt and found that the salesman had charged me $2.49 for the opened roll of scott work towels that was sitting on the counter. I went back to the store this morning bright and early and he was there and i confronted him about why he did that and he said he thought i wanted them. I was like, huh, you thought i wanted to buy an opened used roll of towels when all the other new rolls are wrapped in plastic, and that you picked up and sat down on the counter again after i picked up the bag of oil. Instead of saying would you like me to put your towels in a bag or don't forget your towels you said nothing. I said Yes i'm accusing you of being a thief, you knew exactly what you were doing. If i had tried to steal those towels you would have called the police on me and have me locked up. I don't see any difference in what you did.

He opened the cash register and refunded my money after i signed a new receipt for a refund. He and another salesman and i had a few words before i left the store,they didn't like being caught.

I was thinking what a scam that would / could be if you were a crook working there. If you charged say 50 customers a day for something they didn't buy for $2.49 and if they caught it and came back to the store,you open the cash register and give them their money back but if they don't catch it then you could pocket $125.00 free and clear per day and who would know since there isn't an actual item being sold and the inventory wouldn't change one way or the other.

Do the managers at Advance auto parts review the receipts so that a scam like this coud not happen?

Last edited:
I worked there for 3 years u need to go to a different local store and get the district manager # he would be over a few local stores. Explain what happened. Different months they want u to sell like so much fuel cleaner, or towels, hand clear or so on that may hve been what happened also.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's what you get when you pay $8.25/hr. The clerk may not have even realized he scanned it regardless of how many times he handled it.

That's what you get when you pay $8.25/hr. The clerk may not have even realized he scanned it regardless of how many times he handled it.

It's kind of hard to scan something when it has no plastic wrapping for a barcode to attach to!

He must of had a new roll behind the counter that he scanned for the price.

Sounds familiar...except my memory of similar is from the 60's. Individually owned store...before descriptive receipts...all that you got was a list of numbers showing cost and total. The owner kept a broom by the check out counter...charged everybody for the broom. If you figured it out and confronted him he'd say the same..."I thought you bought the broom"...or something similar even though all logic would indicate otherwise. I'm confident few figured it out. Good for you!!

Regarding being scammed...a couple of years ago I rented a trencher from Sunbelt. When almost finished with trenching I filled up the 8 or so gallon tank to the very top...then used it for about 30 minutes...maybe using a pint of gas. Turned it in, paid the bill and left. Got home and looked at the receipt...$16 gas charge. I called and asked about it..."Lemme check with the guys in the back" the guy said. Came back to the phone and said that they said it had taken 5 gallons to fill it. I said "That's Bullshit...I absolutely filled the tank just before brining it to you"...and I'd like your district manager's phone number. At that point he was all about crediting my account for the $16 and saying things like they must have gotten mine confused with somebody else. Of course there was nobody else in the store when I was there. Those guys knew exactly what they were doing. And probably divided up all the gas paid for, but not used, at the end of the day. I'll never go back to them.

It is 3.99 at Advance Auto. Im going to stop by later and stock up.
I'll let you know if they charge me for towels.

My ex-gf's friend used to be a cashier at a supermarket. When people paid with cash, she would short change the coins when she gave back the change. Hardly anyone ever counts their coins when they get change back, they usually put the coins in their pockets. She then removed the extra coins from her drawer and her drawer balanced out at the end of her shift.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Worked at auto zone they push you to sell complementary items like boot grease with spark plug wires and anti siege with spark plugs or anti corrosive with battery's. Some just throw it in and ppl have return saying I though this was free.

Sounds like the "i thought you paid with a ten" when they were thinking yeah, I just jacked this shlub for $10 by shorting you change at the conveinience store. I always ask for a receipt, and count the change, im cheap that way.

Picked up 18 qts of VR1 20w-50 at $3.99 a qt. Thanks for posting the sale.

As I was checking out I noticed the blue paper towels as well as the microfiber towels at the counter. The clerk was a bit busy between ringing me out and helping another customer. I handed him my debit card and as soon as he swipped it I enter my PIN and hit enter. He handed me my debit card back along with the receipt. He then says, "I forgot to tell you, but these towels are on sale. Would you like to buy some?" I chuckled and thankfully declined.

Who messes with their radio stations for 2-3 minutes and then wakes up thinking about their receipt? I'm raising the flag.:D Seriously though, you, we, don't know if it was a scam even though it sure seems like one, so accusing people of committing a crime shouldn't come so quickly. They could just be stupid or selfish, but most likely scamming.

I totally agree, he was probably texting or high.

On the other side of the coin though keep in mind though that people who make $825/hr can sometimes be just as careless and they usually scam you for $2499 or $24999, not $2.49:(

Sydwynder is a district manager for them I believe, or is it Autozone ?

Bryan

Who messes with their radio stations for 2-3 minutes and then wakes up thinking about their receipt? I'm raising the flag.:D Seriously though, you, we, don't know if it was a scam even though it sure seems like one, so accusing people of committing a crime shouldn't come so quickly. They could just be stupid or selfish, but most likely scamming.
The time i spent adjusting the radio was not the point,the point was I didn't just get in the car and drive off,he had plenty of time to catch me to let me know i had forgotten the paper towels that he had just charged me for. The reason i was thinking of the oil price when i woke up was that it was on sale and the total didn't seem right thats why i checked the receipt to see what i was charged. Thats when i saw the paper towels for $2.49 on there.

I totally agree, he was probably texting or high.

On the other side of the coin though keep in mind though that people who make $825/hr can sometimes be just as careless and they usually scam you for $2499 or $24999, not $2.49:(

A cashier at a parts store could not get away with chargeing a customer a large amout on a transaction but he could get away with chargeing a small amount on each and every transaction. $2.49 by it's self is nothing but multiply that by 10 or 50 times per day then it becomes real money especially if the cashier only makes $66.00 a day. I would say most people who buy oil will not keep or look at their receipt and would never catch a little $2.49 charge added on to their total.

I worked there for 3 years u need to go to a different local store and get the district manager # he would be over a few local stores. Explain what happened. Different months they want u to sell like so much fuel cleaner, or towels, hand clear or so on that may hve been what happened also.

I contacted another store manager Saturday morning but he isn't allowed to give out the district managers number but he took my number to pass on to him.

I never received a call from the district manager today. So later today i called corporate headquarters for Advance Auto Parts and made a complaint directly with them and was given a reference number that i can call to check on if i don't hear from them in 24 hours.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in burlington nc. I also filed a complaint after no reply from the district manager. I'll save the outcome of my ordeal until after you post your dea

This brought back memories of when I was at Chipotle about 2 years ago....I figured I would run in quick
and grab a couple tacos right, well guess what? They were busy and I was about #10 down the line so it
took a while to get up front to place my order. I got it placed, handed the checkout gal a 20, she drops it
on the floor. She is counting out my change and only gave me enough back as if I had only given her a 10
dollar bill! I said to her, "I gave you a 20!" She says, "No you only gave me a 10!" After arguing with her
for only a minute I grabbed my food and left. On the drive home(only 5 minutes away) I started getting
madder and madder! When I got home, I counted my money in my pocket again and I knew for sure that
I had given her a 20. I called the restaurant and asked to speak to the manager. I explained to him what
took place and I asked if the gal that waited on me had ever tried to scam other customers. He says to me,
"I'm glad you called back, she did make a mistake and we do owe you $10". And he asked me if I wanted to
come back right away to get my money. I went back there, got my money and have only been there once
since this happened. So now I only try to give cashiers close to what I owe and not pay with a larger bill!
This story made me hungry for tacos! :hungry:

Of course it could be something as simple as someone checked a price on the towel and didn't delete it. One reason I order things online and pick up at the store.