Anyone here is a Landlord?... Need advice please!!

Well, here is the latest... I just came from the Sheriffs office, and this is what I was told: Now that the court has the case, the best thing is to avoid confrontation until the court day...:mad: They cannot even acompany me to go on Wednesday unless a court order has been issued. So, for right now I just have to wait and we'll see what happens next... With the law here in Virginia I've learned to be careful and be by the book... If you make a mistake is back to square one. So, right now, I'm going to suck it up and wait :mad: Wish me luck fellows.

German

Well, here is the latest... I just came from the Sheriffs office, and this is what I was told: Now that the court has the case, the best thing is to avoid confrontation until the court day...:mad: They cannot even acompany me to go on Wednesday unless a court order has been issued. So, for right now I just have to wait and we'll see what happens next... With the law here in Virginia I've learned to be careful and be by the book... If you make a mistake is back to square one. So, right now, I'm going to suck it up and wait :mad: Wish me luck fellows.

German

German,
That blows, the local sheriffs should go with you because it is your property, you own it and should be able to go there anytime you please without fear of confrontation. Good luck

When your tenants have left for work or when ever they leave. Break in and trash the place:biggrin: mostly their belongings and play brand new when they confront you with it. That way it costs them as much as it costs you. Its called krama, what goes around, comes around.:tongue: I feel no remorse for those that make honest hard working people suffer.

German,
That blows, the local sheriffs should go with you because it is your property, you own it and should be able to go there anytime you please without fear of confrontation. Good luck

Thanks Adam. That's nothing, if I have to make repairs or inspect the premises, I have to give them advance notice. Here in VA, every move I make requires advance written notice. Everything has to be done on paper or else... Can you believe that crap??? I guess every state has a different set of rules when it comes to these things!!

German

renters

My personal experience with rentals is to set up a bi-weekly pay.This way you have half the rent before it is due and two week jump on the problem. Most people get pad from there employer bi-weekly.

Next time before involving the courts...when the dirtbag says he's not leaving, walk to your truck, get your cordless drill and remove every exterior door. Go to the outside air conditioner(condenser)and pull the main.

No AC, bugs, no protection for his valuables cuz all dirtbags have a plasma, stereo and jewerly.

He'll leave. Trust me.

Keep his deposit after he trashes the place. Drywall, paint and carpet are cheaper than courts and lost rent. Your time is valuable also. I'd rather spend it upgrading my property then getting worked by the system.

ALWAYS get a SS# too. That way you can always find them. ;)

Send mail via certified return receipt. Wait the appropriate amount of time and go there and inspect your property. Keep your receipts.

Take a witness with you and maybe take some pictures as well.

Contact a local attorney who deals with Landlord/Tenant Law. Maybe you can find "hidden" assets, bank accounts, etc that you can legally attach so that they cannot escape without paying. Do not use "self-help". It will only make things worse. BTW, you will probably be able to get a favorable judgment against him and even if he doesn't pay now, he will have to look over his shoulder forever until he pays...

Dude-
The only way to go is the legal way with a little annoyance. I really like the idea of the bi-weekly rent. Although sometimes it is hard enough getting 1 check a month, 2 might be impossible:smile:
Yes he has more rights than you right now. That is the name of the game. I am sure that you knew that. It is very frustrating but you have to go with the court. The best way is to be on top of everything. The rent is late 1 day, call him. When he doesn't answer call again every couple of hours. After about 2 days of no answers, now you can can start to get worried about his well being and reasonably enter the premise.
In your case, it is best to let him be, eat your loss and try to be amiable. You can try to set up an arrangement with him in order for him to leave. If he chooses to still not pay, you could contact everyone on his application and talk to them about his non-payment. People don't want to be bothered about someone else's problem. You then could stop by his job (to discuss his situation with him) and just happen to inform his co workers and boss that he is a deadbeat. You can also inform him that you will be getting his mail (probably forever) and that if he leaves peacefully you will forward it to him. Try to get the license to have your address on it. The next tenant you can giive a credit of $25-50 if they change their address on their license to your residence. The more ties they have to your residence the less likely they will want to leave on bad terms. Speak with the lawyer and court personnel. Hopefully you have a nice security deposit. I would strongly not recommend to purposely agitate him anymore than reasonably so. You have a house. He has a key. That is your future, your job and possibly your legacy to your children. Sheetrock and carpets aren't that cheap and believe me there are 100's of ways that they can really fu(k up your place. I actually don't even want to post some of the ways on this board. In NYC you could have people living for 1 year without paying. If you have to eat a couple of months, you are fortunate. Sometimes tenants do give problems, most times they don't, especially when people screen them well. Just look at this as a learning experience and hopefully the next tenant will be better. This way you could get back to chilling out on Virginia Beach. :cool: Good Luck!

My personal experience with rentals is to set up a bi-weekly pay.This way you have half the rent before it is due and two week jump on the problem. Most people get pad from there employer bi-weekly.

Also in most state the time needed for eviction is dictated by the time for payment as stated on the contract. In other words if they are paying every two weeks, you only have to give them two weeks when notification is sent certified mail. BTW don't forget to make a very detailed cost analysis before showing up to court. The judge should give you a judgement against them for any back rent, damages over deposit amount, and any late fees associated with being late. My contracts state a fifty dollar late fee on the 10th and $10.00 every day after that. The chances are slim you will be able to collect, but you will have the judgement. If the scumbag ever gets a W-2 job, you might get to collect. Also, I have seen larger operations bundle their judgements and sell them to collection agencies.

i understand gnicetry is trying to help but i think going to somebodies job to bad mouth them can get you more then you bargen for in retaliation not to mention a possible lawsuit for defamation of character even though they are the scumbags, if thier coworkers and boss say they would testify it could be you in court

When your tenants have left for work or when ever they leave. Break in and trash the place:biggrin: mostly their belongings and play brand new when they confront you with it. That way it costs them as much as it costs you. Its called krama, what goes around, comes around.:tongue: I feel no remorse for those that make honest hard working people suffer.

Sometimes bad things happen to bad people.... it's a cruel world out there. :biggrin:

If you ever want to moonlight collecting rent.......................CALL ME!!! :eek: :biggrin:

i recently had to deal with a deadbeat. what i did was call the gas company and said i could smell gas. they cut it off until it was inspected. i call the electric company told them i was upgrading the service and they need to pull the meter on this rentel until they got a call from the electrician. then i turned the water off, i did this on a friday. i showed up on monday everything was off. tenant accused me of cutting his phone line so he couldn't call to get his crap turned on and called the cops on me. i stood out front and waited. the cops get there and he gives them a big song and dance about how i'm hurrasing him and that he has 30days and bla bla bla. the cop comes over as i lean on the GN. he asks me for my story and all i say is that he doesn't pay his rent so he probubly doesnt pay his electric either. i told the cop that he's living there with no water or electric. boom
thats all he needed because it is against the law to squat in a residence with no utilities. so they made him leave and i told the police he could call me to let him in anytime in the next 3 days. because i was changing the lock to insure the the tenant wouldn't break the law. next day dude calls me up and says he needs to get in the house. well i was outta the area and i would take me 3 hours to get over there which pissed him so bad that he said hewas going to break in i reminded him that i had all his info and that the cops dont like aholes that minuplate the system. and i'll see him in 3 hrs. i show up and hes got a moving truck.;)

AWESOME!!!!! Best rent story I have heard in a long time. I will be printing this out and hanging it on the wall. Very creative solution!!!!

Damn you guys gave me some awesome ideas for a deadbeat! I love matswtt's way of thinking! Knock on wood I've never had to go down this road yet with any of mine. I take my time and screen the living hell out of them. I know that don't mean much but so far it's been working well for me. I think Philadelphia makes it a little more easy to get them out from talking to other landlords around the area.

I actually took on a propriety with a somewhat dead beat in it. I fixed the place up for her and found she was paying me before everything else. So sometimes being a nice guy helps I guess. She actually left several months later because she could not afford the apartment and didn't want to default on me. I was shocked to hear that from her!

I called my insurance company when I bought the place and told them I wanted insurance in case a tenant destroyed the place so for 221.00 bucks a year they can wreck the entire place and the insurance will cover it all. I made sure the insurance rep knew what type of insurance I wanted. He said yea.. deadbeat insurance! :)

Good luck with your eviction. Let us know how it ends up...

You cant do anything if the court is already involved. THe situation will have to play itself out throught the court now. Let me tell you i had rental properties in NY and in an upscale neighborhood in Houston TX and dead beats are everywhere. I lost over $5000 in TX just last years and endless in NY. Good Luck.

Damn you guys gave me some awesome ideas for a deadbeat! I love matswtt's way of thinking! Knock on wood I've never had to go down this road yet with any of mine. I take my time and screen the living hell out of them. I know that don't mean much but so far it's been working well for me. I think Philadelphia makes it a little more easy to get them out from talking to other landlords around the area.

I actually took on a propriety with a somewhat dead beat in it. I fixed the place up for her and found she was paying me before everything else. So sometimes being a nice guy helps I guess. She actually left several months later because she could not afford the apartment and didn't want to default on me. I was shocked to hear that from her!

I called my insurance company when I bought the place and told them I wanted insurance in case a tenant destroyed the place so for 221.00 bucks a year they can wreck the entire place and the insurance will cover it all. I made sure the insurance rep knew what type of insurance I wanted. He said yea.. deadbeat insurance! :)

Good luck with your eviction. Let us know how it ends up...

If you don't mind me asking, Who is your Ins carrier?

If you don't mind me asking, Who is your Ins carrier?

Allstate. I have them for the home owners (fire insurance) and had them make a separate policy in case they wreck the place. I told the guy I basically wanted to be covered if a tenant destroyed the place. They said no problem!

urphucked! tennants get all the rights Xspecially in a liberal state.

The only property I would ever rent is if it was in the same location I lived so the BSTRD would have to see me daily!

I learned this owning a few condos remotly. It felt like I had ADULT CHILDREN with the calls I got.
The best was a call to replace a light bulb in the stove from my tennats girl friend. When she called I asked WHO ARE YOU? I told her to Stuff it!