Anyone here is a Landlord?... Need advice please!!

gpadilla1071

I currently own a rental property that I'm renting to this idiot that did not pay the rent!:mad: He is suppose to be out this Wednesday (25 June)... Today we spoke and he told me that I can't make him leave, that the court will have to... Any how he finally received the court letter. The hearing is set for the 14th of July. If he doesn't leave this Wednesday, should I go back to court and see if I can move up the day? Or am I stuck and have to wait until then? Also, should I go to my rental property as scheduled this Wednesday and even though I know he will not be turning over the key, just to keep my end of the bargain? Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

German

eviction

you are basically in an eviction process, do not do anything unless ok'd by the court in writing. unfortunatly the deadbeat renter has more rights than the homeowner.good luck!

x2

i agree you cant force them out let the court do it or you will be looking at a lawsuit! i run into this problem too it sucks

So even though I was schedule to pick up the keys on Wednesday, I should let that one go and wait for court?

you are basically in an eviction process, do not do anything unless ok'd by the court in writing. unfortunatly the deadbeat renter has more rights than the homeowner.good luck!

I know, it sucks a$$ completly...:mad: This is a first for me and he is my third tenant. I had the previous one for 8 years with no problems. This retard has only been there a little over a year and I had more problems with him than the knuckleheads I deal with daily...

You have every right to remove the front door and any other doors that may need to be replaced. ;)

The way the system built the rules cater to tenants, not Landlords. It can take 4 to 5 months of no rent money before you can get the green light to kick his ass out. The process is slow, and even if you do get him out before then. Collecting your money for the months missed is going to be even longer if he gets the courts to believe his BS about not having enough money. He can pay $10 a month til it is all paid up, and if he stops paying you gotta go through this crap again. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its gonna get worse before it gets better.:(

I get to deal with eviction situations all the time. We have quite a few rental properties. The system is basically the same from state to state, but in MS it works like this. First a certified letter advising 30 days (if the original lease is signed with payments stipulated monthly, if payments stipulated weekly eviction can be done in 7 days), once the time has passed filing with the justice court, they set a court date, eviction is filed by judge, they leave. Usually it takes 50-60 days from the time the certified letter is sent.

Rarely does it go all the way. You should definitely go by this week, if they still refuse to leave then you will have to wait until the court date. In the meantime any retaliation against him will be viewed negatively by the court. Of course anything that breaks does not have to be fixed. The judge will give them a week or so to be gone once the court date is reached.

The best method to protecting yourself from losing any more rent than you have to is to send the certified letter on the 3d day of the month. If I have not received rent by the 3d, I send a polite letter advising the tenant the 30 days has begun and eviction can be stopped by paying rent with late fees.

Good Luck! It's a tough situation and the law is not exactly on your side.

my friend had a dead beat renter at one time and went through all the bs so she decided she would move in with the man and his wife,well she walked around in front of them in her panties and bra,needless to say it didn't take long for the wife to get pissed off and then they moved.this is a true story.

my friend had a dead beat renter at one time and went through all the bs so she decided she would move in with the man and his wife,well she walked around in front of them in her panties and bra,needless to say it didn't take long for the wife to get pissed off and then they moved.this is a true story.

Good method, however, I don't have a nice a$$ or breasts :biggrin: . Anyhow, as mad as I am, I'm trying to keep a sense of humor...

The way the system built the rules cater to tenants, not Landlords. It can take 4 to 5 months of no rent money before you can get the green light to kick his ass out. The process is slow, and even if you do get him out before then. Collecting your money for the months missed is going to be even longer if he gets the courts to believe his BS about not having enough money. He can pay $10 a month til it is all paid up, and if he stops paying you gotta go through this crap again. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its gonna get worse before it gets better.:(

been there and done it years ago.. I got pissed off and sold the house after .. Landlord has NO rights !! You will be lucky to get their lame asses out in 4/5 months like Mike said .. Oh getting the back rent ??? hahahahahahahaha... don't waste your time and get all aggravated .. Can't get blood from a stone :rolleyes:

I've literally offered some renters cash to leave. If they refuse to leave and are hostile they bust up the place a bit as well. I’d rather just have them gone than deal with it.

Do you have a lease agreement? Is the 25th the last day? I LOVE the idea of replacing the front door. It's not your fault if something happens and you can't complete the project for a couple days!!!

wife and I managed properties for a few years down in Houston, Tx. had to evict a handful of people over the course of about 4 years. first one was tough, had to climb a learning curve to figure out what the laws were and what we could actually do/get away with to "expidite" the process ;)

first eviction, we went through the court. after that, I started getting clever and I figured out how to make thier lives so miserable, they would pack-up and leave on their own. easiest way was to change the locks on house while they're away at work. then when they call and gripe, I'd make them wait, sometimes for hours to get back in. only had one brave soul that removed the new locks I had installed and installed his own! :mad: so, while he was at work the next day, I drilled-out the locks he installed and installed another set so he was locked-out again the second day when he got home. and by the way, whenever I had to change the locks on a non-paying renter, I NEVER gave them a copy of the new key so they had to call me to let them in every day or leave the place unlocked.

we even had one pair of young girls that paid a deposit, moved-in and never paid another penny. I ended up setting all their stuff out by the curb then changing locks. next moring, their stuf was all gone (I've always assumed they took it) and we never heard from them again. :biggrin:

yeah, pretty much everything I know about being an A$$, I learned while managing properties. :rolleyes:

Landlord/tenant laws are one of those things that are different everywhere. You have to consult a local lawyer if you want real advice, not our opinions :). That said, you should definitely keep the appointment so you can show that you followed all the steps you are supposed to. Don't get angry or threaten, just show up and ask for the keys. If he refuses, just leave - the one thing you cannot afford is to provoke any kind of violent confrontation. Let the courts handle it in their own slow way, and please, please see a lawyer.

They will give him time to destroy the whole place. Then you can start cleaning up the dirty mess he left.

renters

They will give him time to destroy the whole place. Then you can start cleaning up the dirty mess he left.

Very true, here in indiana you can write them a letter and keep a copy for your self. giving them thirty days to move and if they dont get out by the deadline. you get a cop and show him your letter and he will tell them they have to go, i have a dead beat that i let go too long when he moved out a [single man] with a good job [electrican] he owed me 2100.00 plus fixing fence and cleaning up the place, anyway my friend a judge said take him to small claim court i won but i havent saw a dime yet, been 3 months, im down to two rental houses and thats all i ever will own again, one is for sale now, i have had 4 worthless renters over the years, you have to do a good back ground check on them, then their former landlords lie about how good renters they are, good luck,,,,