Anyone have an uppipe?

84ttype

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows any distributors that are still selling aftermarket up-pipes? or maybe anyone that has a good condition one? Mine doesn't fit over my poston headers very well and is the source of a good size exhaust leak right now.

Thanks

I am pretty sure jaysgn.com just started selling a nice stainless one. You can go to their website and see.

I noticed that postons has one too, does that fit any better than my stocker? also through some searches I heard that someone makes a gasket for the header to uppipe section?

I have one of postons and I am pretty happy with it especially the price. When I bought mine I believe it was like $85 plus shipping, Im not sure what they are now but Im sure they are about the same. It fits pretty good as well. It takes a little coaxing but never given me any real problems.

84ttype- I just bought a JaysGn uppipe and it is very nice but as Tom said it is expensive. I believe I paid around $220 delivered. I actually have two spare stock uppipes. One is in A-condition and one is in B-condition. The B one was painted silver by the previous owner. I am keeping the A-one but I will let the B-one go for a reasonable price. I can send pics of the B-one. I can also send pics of the JaysGn uppipe. I will say based on my experience that the Poston uppipe does not fit their passenger side exhaust header. any upipe for a hot air which does not flex is trouble. My 2 cents -Brad

The only aftermarket uppipe that will fit your Poston headers is the jay's pipe. Even the Poston pipe won't fit they're headers. The up pipe Postons sells is for the stock header, if you try to mount it on the aftermarket headers you will put alot of tension on the turbo.

T

Brad, Send me some pics of both the pipes if you could. How much are you asking for the other stock uppipe?

BRAD_PADGETT said:
84ttype- I just bought a JaysGn uppipe and it is very nice but as Tom said it is expensive. I believe I paid around $220 delivered. I actually have two spare stock uppipes. One is in A-condition and one is in B-condition. The B one was painted silver by the previous owner. I am keeping the A-one but I will let the B-one go for a reasonable price. I can send pics of the B-one. I can also send pics of the JaysGn uppipe. I will say based on my experience that the Poston uppipe does not fit their passenger side exhaust header. any upipe for a hot air which does not flex is trouble. My 2 cents -Brad

Thanks for the pics Brad! Its too bad the pipe is braided all the way though, I have a deltagate mounted inbetween the down and uppipes for easy access. I had a funny feeling my pipe wasn't stock to begin with. Its pretty much just two solid 90 degree elbows welded together, badly I might add. I might have to give Jay a call because of that, that's ok though I can pick up his hot-air TA-49 while I'm at it :p

84tthpe- The 84/85 stock uppipe is not braided. There is a solid inner sleve of steel with a space in the middle. JaysGN simply copied the same design. Buick put the fake braiding on both the stock up and downpipe. The actual stock downpipe is a pipe in pipe with a fake braiding. Thought I would clue you in. Good luck. Brad

$220 :eek: I payed less the $100 for my ATR up-pipe. I know guys think they fit bad, but I haven't had any problems. ATR still sell theirs? How much do they go for now?

You leave the turbo boards for a year or so, and you have no idea what is going on in the world. :biggrin:

I have the ATR up-pipe and just bought jaysgn's up-pipe along with poston passenger side header. I can't get the ATR up-pipe to fit with the poston header so I went with the jaysgn. Only problem is I need that little doughnut gasket that goes from the up-pipe to turbo. Anyone know where I can get this? As long as I can get the gasket and that up-pipe on, I would be willing to sell the ATR up-pipe if anyone is interested. I also bought a 3" Terry Houston downpipe that I can't get to fit properly, its close but I don't have time to mess with it. It is the one that does away with the stock "elbow".

Eric

I might have to pick one of those up, if I can't fix mine with the dremel (remove uppipe, check inside to see where its leaking from, dremel it, put uppipe back on, test drive, "I think it sounds better", remove uppipe... :rolleyes: ). So you just cut and paste that baby in there?

Jerryl said:

That gasket looks like the real thing, but it is the same size. It's ashame but I just had mine off a few weeks ago for a header repair. I remember reading in a past thread someone had a new gasket made at a machine shop. That maybe a solution, not necessarily cheap but it can be made to any size to fit the space between the turbo and the up pipe.

This is a great idea of making your own. Much cheaper too. I can't believe how hard it is to find a nice set of headers, uppipe, and x-over that work together. I don't think I will ever change my stock headers out because of this reason. Well..............ok maybe I will ;) -Nick.