Anyone have a Springfield XD40?

gunslinger

I'm thinking about trading my Ruger LCP .380 in on a XD 40 sub-compact, and I'd like some opinions on the gun. A lot of people love the LCP, but ammo is still tough to get, and it is purely a defensive weapon. I don't enjoy shooting it because of the six foot long, sixty-five pound trigger pull, and its horrible sight picture. I like going to the range, and if I don't want to shoot it there, I don't want it. But on the other hand for CCW it disappears in a IWB holster.

The XD feels great in my hand, but I'm worried that it might be a little bulky to carry everyday. I've never shot an XD before, and from reading the XD forums I see some people complaining about accuracy due to a weird trigger pull.

So what do you guys think?

If you like the springfields try the XDM! Much nicer gun IMO... Why not a Glock?

I don't have any experience with the XD40 but it appears to be a nice weapon. I cant wait to shoot one.

I did a side by side comparison with the Glock 27, and they are essentially the same slide length. The Glock 27 has a really short grip so what I did is buy a Glock 23 magazine (13 rounds) and install a magazine extention on it, which essentially lengthens the handgrip to the size of the Glock 23 magazine. With that modification done the dimensions on the two guns are identical. The reason I mention this is to give you options. I like the Glock because I carry a Glock 22 on duty, and the 15 round mags will feed into the Glock 27. I need that interchangability to stay in the fight. ;)

Let us know how that XD40 works out.

... Why not a Glock?

I like the multiple safeties on the XD. I shot a G27, and it shot okay...It's kind of like driving a Honda; it works, but everyone has one. I'm just not a big Glock fan.

I would get the XDM, but I don't think they make it in a sub-compact. What I'd really like is a HK 40 USP Compact...just don't have the coin for that one.

I have an XD40 Compact (middle sized) that I conceal carry on a regular basis in all manner of clothing. I love it. I have to keep up my practice or I start doing really bad quickly...but that's just cause I'm not that great of a shot!

The rounded edges make it easy to pull out without it getting caught on any clothes. The two safeties make it to where my 7yo cannot shoot the gun at all. I never have had an issue with the trigger pull.

have the Xd 40 compact and thought it was too bulky to carry in the summer. Had a crossbread holster that took up some room also. Summer hit and I wanted a smaller gun. Thought Id go get a Glock that I wanted in the first place. Bought another XD 40 in sub compact though. You just cant beat the bang for the buck price of it. Comes with the extended clip and the shorty. Its a little louder than the compact. Barrel length was 3 1/2 compared to 4 in the compact if I remember right. My father in law bought the xdm 9. Im not a big fan of it though. 2 safeties on the xd is nice also. Trigger pull was alot better than the glock IMO.

Have you looked at the Smith & Wesson M&P's? They make a compact .40 that is nice... Same price range as the springfield too...

I looked at the M&P 40 also. I wanted that one instead but the trigger pull was horrible. The XD comes with a case, 2 clips and cleaning kit they had a deal to sent in and get 2 more clips for a promo for free also. My gun broker also couldnt get a M&P in a short time due to back orders. You pretty much have to buy a handgun on site because ordering is getting hard to get one. I paid $485 for the compact plus tax and the sub was a little more. Maybe $495 due to buying it 4 mo. later. If you can find a small gun dealer it saved me $60-$80 off the chain store prices. Just handle a few of them at shows. Ask if you casn dry fire a couple. Most will let you and then the trigger pull may help you decide. XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source! is a good site for info. HTH Marty

Damn you shane!!!!

Making me think now....

There's a local range that rents guns. I'll have to head up there and see if I can fire a couple mags through each one. Maybe I'll just have to save up a little more $$ and buy that HK I've always wanted and put the LCP in an ankle holster.

I have both an XD-9 and an XD-45 and am very happy with both of them

I was wondering if you decided to give the .45 a try. How's the ammo supply down there going now??? Should I pick you up a couple of .45 boxes for Reynolds???

I've got three hundred rounds of nine for ya already!!!

Thanks for offering, Adam! I am still having a hard time getting ammo. Please bring me a couple of boxes of .45 ammo along with the 9mm stuff.
On second thought, have your wife bring them to me :tongue: You ready for another kid, yet j/k!!

Thanks for offering, Adam! I am still having a hard time getting ammo. Please bring me a couple of boxes of .45 ammo along with the 9mm stuff.
On second thought, have your wife bring them to me :tongue: You ready for another kid, yet j/k!!

Cool will do!

Hey I don't care how many you two want to have, just fix the car while you're here and I'm good :p:p:biggrin::biggrin:

I have both an XD-9 and an XD-45 and am very happy with both of them
I have a springfield xdm 9mm and springfield gi 45 4" love them both but the xd has been known for a long trigger pull. the xdm is at 800 rounds with not even a hickup

I had a chance to try a Glock 27 in 357 sig a couple weeks ago and was impressed. Fun to shot and accurate for a small gun but like the XD it's a little wide to conceal for me in the summer, winter cloths no problem. I have a Kahr PM9 I carry. I'm not a big guy and can conceal it under my beltline with a t-shirt or in my pocket. I shots great and is accurate. It only hold 7 rounds but I'm very happy with it.