Anyone ever try a precooler idea?

BLACK Ttype

Getting Respectable!
New thread name "Thermal coating"

If a coldair intake lowers charge air temp. Couldn't we lower it even further by cooling the inlet air temp?

Sort of an all the time thing:)
I'm into having the power any time I want it and not having to worry about a bottle running out;)
Thats why I love turbos:p

I think the best you're gonna hope for is to pipe in air at atmospheric temp. Save for trying to do some kind of refrigeration system (i.e. AC compressor which will probably rob more power than it will add).

Seriously, make sure the turbo can get a BIG gulp of open air (from outside the engine bay), block off the TB coolant lines, use a 160 degree thermostat, electric fan, paint the engine flat black, tranny cooler, engine oil cooler, a "cool can" for the fuel line, header and downpipe wraps, and maybe even some GNX style fender louvers to help the underhood temps stay down, and you could probably light up a few extra LEDs on your boost gauge.

Am I missing anything guys? :D

I wrapped my headers and it seems to help keep the engine compartment temp down. Has anyone ever wrapped a turbo? I see they make kits to do it.:confused:

Just looking for some new untapped ideas. People know what works already but without inovation we would all be talking about how to make our horse and carriage's faster.

theres no point to cool the "preturbo" air.. and lets not use the word pre ;)

this is simply another word for COLD AIR INDUCTION.. not a big deal..

what you want to do is just simlpy install nitrious, alky or propane.

it will (or should) atomize while going through the turbo compressor, and should help to cool things down.

this also brings on a nother point.. systems like this are used on intercooled cars to lower cylinder temps... now if the alky and /or propane/nos can cool the same as an intercooled car, then what good is the intercooler?

this is also where my thoughts begin.

the intercooler is un necessary.

gm first figured it out boy doing water injection, simply put, NOT FOR JOE-IDOT. however an INTERCOOLER.. now theres something SIMPLE that doesnt need MAINTANENCE.

Other than a cold air induction mod, dont worry about going to any extreme to cool the preturbo aircharge. Focus on cooling the intake aircharge via alky/H2O, propane, or intercooler. The intake/cylinder temps are where it ultimately matters. I believe when the incoming air goes through the turbo the temps will go up anyway, thus the focus on the temps after the turbo. Plus, depending on what your talking about introducing into the airstream (i.e. alky) to cool it before the turbo, there is an issue with making sure that it is atomized enough to not damage the turbo.

Why does every one keep telling me to just put nitrous, or Alky, or Propain, or an intercooler. I'm sure there are other ways to make power out there. The intercooler I can agree with but as for the other methods, I'm looking for other ways to go fast without having to fill bottles. I would prefer somthing that is always there. Now don't get me wrong I love to go fast and I plan on ordering a propain kit from Jay eventually. But I just like to keep everyones wheels turning to the idea of new ideas. I just don't like it when no one has any new ideas. If I wanted to just go with what is proven I would drive a mustang. No, I love the hunt for more power, finding new ways to make HP is what keeps the Buick crowd on top!
my .02

convert your car to methanol,then you won't need an intercooler.

lee thompson sprays large amounts of methanol and it makes up for his lack of an intercooler.but methanol makes propane look like tapwater.

I would be the first to promote the thought of being different and coming up with new ideas, that is the way I have always been (if I didnt think that way I wouldnt even be dealing with a hotair drivertrain when I have an '87 engine on the stand). However, the reason your hearing the "same thing" from "everyone" is that these cars have been around (roughly) 20 years now. I know and have heard of people who were tweaking and altering these cars when they were new, before there were any '86-'87 intercooled TRs (i.e. modifying and using an Edelbrock .231 intake). Im not implying that everything has been tried, but a whole lot of things have been, and so a lot of people here are speaking from experience or what theyve learned from others experiences who have traveled down the same road before.
I think a key question would be, how fast are you talking about going? Depending on the answer, alky, intercoolers, etc. may not even be an issue (yet). There are other issues with the hotair car (i.e. airflow restrictions) that can/should be addressed first.
If I wanted to just go with what is proven I would drive a mustang.
Hmm, "what is proven"? I think alot of the guys here already know from my past posts, but if you want, I can list the major problems that my engine had. They would definately show the potential of a hotair, as I was still able to spank the majority of the Mustangs (let alone the Camaros, TAs, etc) I faced at the track w/o alky.
Anyone can build a Mustang. It take something special to build a Turbo Regal
Im sorry but I dont think there is really a comparison, TRs were already something much more special to begin with:D

how about icing your intake manifold? I may have to bring more than enough to ice the beer at the tracks :D I would think there's enough room to fit a cool gel type ice pack on top of the plenum.

Originally posted by BLACK Ttype
If a coldair intake lowers charge air temp. Couldn't we lower it even further by cooling the preturbo intake air temp?

How? How do you plan to lower it below ambient? Since your against injecting a compressed gas or evaporating liquid, what other way to you have in mind?

Alright everyone just relax. Just keeping every one thinking on there feet:) .

How? How do you plan to lower it below ambient? Since your against injecting a compressed gas or evaporating liquid, what other way to you have in mind?

Well, one idea I had was a liquid to air intercooler or precooler.
If ambient air is 90* and the charge air temp is (just a guess) 300*. Then if we lower the inlet air temp to 30* or less then what would the charge air temp be?

dat ones easy...

Originally posted by BLACK Ttype
Just looking for some new untapped ideas. People know what works already but without inovation we would all be talking about how to make our horse and carriage's faster.

more horses=more horsepower,sorry could'nt resist.:)

Originally posted by JayLashua
lets not use the word pre ;)
Look at original post:) Better?
Originally posted by JayLashua
this is simply another word for COLD AIR INDUCTION.. not a big deal..
Yes but what if we take cold air induction a step further:D

1]
Inject something.
Modify your turbo adapter to fit a nozzle in there and inject something

2]
Take the stock turbo off, take the intake off. port the intake runners a little bit at the very least. Get ahol dof a stock '87 intercooler andput that in the stock location. which means get rid of the POS clutch fan, and get a '87 setup. you'd be happier with the '87 radiator which includes a tranny and oil cooler so you can install an oil cooler adapter. so far this is quite easy ****.

now you get yoursel a biger turbo, like a '87 stocker, or a TA-49 and you clock it so the outlet is pointing up and forwards. make an adapter for the intake that goes to a tube from the outlet of the intercooler. and run a tube from the turbo to the inlet of the intercooler.

See now all you would need are some aluminum tubes and a some intercooler hose to join them together. intercoolers are NOT rocket science.

3]
While you're doing all this: replace the downpipe, up pipe and *at least* the passenger side header with their ATR counterparts.