Anybody switch from 26" to 28" on 12.2 car?

Kevins

some good tuning and making the most of the parts you have. keep us up to date and let us know if you go 11.90's !!

as far as changing the slicks to 28's you might see some change. i've seen some cars running 12.8 - 12.5 range that change sizes, effectively changing the overall ratio, and it helps with 60' and mph. it really depends on the car and setup though BUT i've seen G-bodys really respond to these type of changes.

this is the stuff that's most interesting to me....take care and let me know if you need those 28x9's. :D

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
->wheels, slicks, & tires
->NOS/NX nitrous kits
-> ATI Prochargers

I switched from 26" Nittos to 28" BFG DRs and went from 115 mph to 117 mph. That was the only change.

Right now Im running 16" Nitto Drag Radials (245/50R16s). I have heard that they are actually a little smaller than 26"!! So, Im planning on looking into the Hoosier Slicks, I have heard that they make a 27x10 or 10.5, not sure. But I am not sure about going to 28s. As you can see from my times below in the GN, my 60fts suck. No matter what I do I cant get the car to hook. Many people have said that it could be because of my "small" rear tires, which may be true, but my car has run 110.42mph on these tires. 9 times out of 10, I get out of the hole and about 10 ft out, the tires go UP IN SMOKE till mid 2nd gear. New mods for this spring are: boxed lowers, new shocks, new tires.........front, totally remove sway bar vs being unhooked, and 3 way adjustable drag shocks. With slicks hopefully this year the car will 60ft worth a damn and run about where your at Kevin. My ultimate goal is 11.90s, but that will be a task.

Getting back on the subject, I would try the 28s on your car. You obviously have the power to use the extra gear ratio. Those 28s might be what gets your car into the 11s.....especially with those big boost launches you are able to do!!!!! GL with the car, keep us updated.

Neil

You are certainly on the right track. Those Nitto drag radials in size 245/50-16 are at 25.67 inches tall (inflated tire diameter).

Just as a note: the 275/50-15's which I see everyone purchasing are 25.75 inches inflated overall diameter.

*I expect later this summer the Nitto DR 275/60-15's will be out and they are ....get this....27.76 inches tall, inflated diameter!!

**ALSO, just some advice, don't give up on those Nittos just yet. There are some FAST cars running on these exact same tire but there is a "cushion" to use them. Follow these guidelines and you might have better luck.

Nitto company advice on drag radials:

To get the most out of your drag radials, we recommend doing a mild burnout to properly heat the tires. The most important thing to remember is that the optimum operating temperature for the drag radial is **100 degrees Fahrenheit**.

>>LSM note: believe me when I say there are people running 8's and 9's and they make sure to use a infrared pyrometer when
running these tires for contigency (Rebco makes one, $204.99 through ME). ;)

The optimum inflation pressure varies per application. We recommend starting at 20 psi and then tuning it from there. Be sure to never drop below 15 psi, or exceed the maximum inflation pressure.

The NT555R does not have a break-in procedure, and does not need to be heat cycled. You can put them on and go straight to the track!

HTH...

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

Thanks guys.. I looked at my DS files today and I think the converter is still fine for my combo so I can eliminate the need to replace it. I may try more timing and taller tires but I'm still evaluating and always looking for more ideas..
I'm determined to get this thing in the 11's with the stock turbo, IC, tranny/converter...

ks:cool:

kevin

sending u mail....let us know how your tuning comes out. take care...

john c.
LedSLED Motorsports

I had the 25 3/4 inch Nittos on mine and was getting consistent 1.9's for 60's.When I went to the true 28" BFG my 60's went to 1.7's consistent.My car goes 11.80-90's.I really like the BFG's,but my car is a true daily driver(have nothing else) and they are wearing out fast.I think I'll be lucky to get 8000 miles on them.I would really like Nitto to come out with the tire they keep promising,because I think the Nitto's lasted longer on the street.If they don't work like the BFG does at the track however I'll be switching back regardless of the mileage.

I picked up 2 mph and a tenth or so switching from 26" to the MT 28x9 x15. the MT s measure 27,3"

Brian

I'll let you know when that Nitto 275/60-15 comes out. Your car sounds like it's hooking pretty good with the BFG's. As long as you follow the Nitto guidelines for usage, then the car should launch the same. Take care....

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com

Re: Neil

Originally posted by NOSjohnWE4
LSM note: believe me when I say there are people running 8's and 9's and they make sure to use a infrared pyrometer when
running these tires for contigency (Rebco makes one, $204.99 through ME). ;)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can someone tell me what a pyrometer does? Measure temperature? If so what is the ideal temp for these tires?

question

tommy - it's not a dumb question. this board is here, among many other things, to also provide you with answers to ANY question.

yes, a pyrometer measures temperature. the CORRECT temperature to run the Nitto Drag Radial is at 100 degrees. this is so the tires can hook correctly...any other means of guessing or just "heating them up" is defeating the purpose of the dual compound drag radial. i hope this answers your very good question! :)

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com

John,

Thanks for the info. I guess if I have some extra money get a pyrometer would be cool. Might look a little stupid though getting out of my car on the street before a race and checking my temps. :D

Not since last weekend.. I posted the results in a different thread linked above in the first post.

The control arms are working great but there is no damping left in my shocks so the tires would spin about 2 feet out. Best 60ft was 1.64 but I had a lot of 1.70's.. I had to lower the launch boost in order to get enough traction to pull the 1.64.. I also didn't have any way to lock up the converter so mph was pretty low:(

I am going to get some new rear shocks, lockup switch and I am having my ME tweaked a bit then test it again. Then prolly get some 9x28's and test again.. Then maybe a power plate.... Then.... lol... It may be a few months b4 I can get back up there since my "Other" project is going to take up most of my time and $$..

ks:cool:

tires

Brian,
Will do...same for everyone else who is interested in the 275/60-15's. Thanks!

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports