Tire height change from 26" to 28"

tford

Registered Member
With stock gearing and stock trans keeping it in D, at what point (mph wise) do most of you need to change tire height to avoid excessive rpms in the 1/4 mile? My next question is how much speed is gained on average when switching from a 26" tall tire to a 28" tall tire? I'm thinking a change to a 28" tire will gain me about 10 mph and knock half a second off my time. Am I way off on this? I know everyone has different setups so results will be slightly different but I just wanted to here from people that have went through this growing pain. Thanks.

There are a lot of variables that come into play here. Generally speaking, I would switch to 28” tires when you have the power to run 115+ mph in the quarter with a stock-ish cam.

12 flat on 235 drag radials. Went straight to pits put on a set of 275s and went 11.7. Stock engine with bolt ons and stock rear gears.

like 1kwik6 said many variables to consider, but typically with out changing anything but tire size only a 4-5 MPH gain overall

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks guys. Tire height is some of my issue but I think my converter is way too loose. Thinking of dropping the stall from 3200 to 2800 and running Daves converter to wake this beast up. It is screaming for mercy @ 6000+ by the end of the 1/4 right now. Any thoughts on the possible changes?