anybody running 16 volt setups?

I have plenty of customers running 16 volt systems on race cars. On a street car you will run into a few minor issues. People will flash you thinking your brights are on and your taillights will look like the brake lights are on. Just the faster windows alone, made it worth it to me.

Brighter Lights, MAN that is what we need in the middle of the desert.... AZ is dark.....

Need a 16v battery and 16v alternator. Also don't forget to buy a 16v charger. To charge the 16v battery, you need about 18v-19v.

Oh yea, you'll be burning out bulbs at a faster rate depending on their quality.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Would there be any way to run 16 volts to the ignition and fuel pump, and then run everything else through a VR?

So easily put, control what things get 16V and what things get 12V?

And, what would be the difference on FP and Ignition between this and running a volt booster?

My friend picked up 100hp on the dyno swapping to 16v fuel pump was the main reason. His car also make well over 2k HP . And not many electronics. I was concerned about the fast system and stock ignition components. But if cal says go 16v I'm doing it! Yes pump will increase its output.

The XFI will be fine with the higher voltage. You will need to rescale and adjust the "injector offset vs battery voltage" table. Remember, with a 16 volt system and an alternator, your going to be running over 18 volts! Pump output will increase but fuel pressure won't change. The regulator will keep fuel pressure the same, it will just bypass more.

What about stock ECM ??

I wouldn't do it. The stock ECM shuts down the quad-driver outputs once the ignition voltage to the ECM goes over 17.1 volts. The quad drivers operate things such as the EGR solenoid, low speed fan relay, waste gate solenoid, TCC solenoid, ALDL data link, and maybe a few other things.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Hmmm...do you think a (caspers) volt booster is safe with a stock ECM?

As long as the voltage is kept reasonable, yes, it can be used. Figure that 13.8 - 14.1 volts is normal. Bump it to 15.8 - 16.1 volts (by 2 volts) and you are good to go. Also, the ECM is looking at the ignition input voltage. Which is typically a little lower then the vehicle system voltage at the alternator or battery.

RemoveBeforeFlight