Anybody have an Eagle crank installed in a running motor yet?

Eagle in AZ

Nick ... hows the install going .... that is the Eagle Crank into your Block ?? Interested in posting the full recipe ... ie: machine shop work, parts, tolerances etc.. ??

I wouldn't consider having to buy a GOOD balancer to run one of these cranks a negative. Hipo motors generate alot of harmonics and you need a good balancer to handle the dampining load. The balancer is an important part of a motor and it gets no respect.

My dad had a hipo/budget chevy motor. He was running high 11's in this car. He would pull the motor out every winter and inspect it. He would then wind up changing the main bearings. They weren't roached but they always had a decent amount of wear on them. He then went to a good brand balancer and no longer would have to change the bearings at inspection time.

HTH: Jason

Originally posted by postal
............... Hipo motors generate alot of harmonics and you need a good balancer to handle the dampining load. The balancer is an important part of a motor and it gets no respect..................... HTH: Jason

Considering that the "balancer" Buick used on the turbo motor is a cast piece designed for the original 110 HP V-6 and really is NOT a harmonic balancer, an upgrade is definitely in order.

The harmonics not only can shorten bearing life like you stated, but these forces also get transmitted directly to the valve train and raise havoc there as well.

Makes NO sense to spend $5k or more on a HP motor and not go the extra with a real harmonic balancer. :)

Cranky Discussion

Beside the BHJ Balancr with built in Interupter ring for crank Pos. Sens. how bout' a MSD Crank Pos. Sens. with a SFI balancer ...

Well I am just waiting to get the block back from line machine shop! New Eagle crank ,new steel mains,new roller cam set,new alum.heads,new Atr headers,BHJ balancer and new flex(internal ballanced.
The shop is cleaning up my stock rods and pistons.
They need the rings to ballance it soon.Called GM and they said it would be a week.Any other way or other rings?

Also,is there any special(what's the best to goth with) main bearing to go with the eagle crank?Is there any more machineing to go with the bearings?
Rod bearings are the Clevite 77.

Glad to hear your car running stong Woody! Not sure if I will have the car ready for BG!

Thanks
Mike K

I believe there was some machining with my main bearings, the machine shop doing the engine called Eagle to see if they could buy bearings from them and Eagle didnt even know what to tell them:rolleyes:

Hey Mike, get that sucker together and drag it to BG...

Not looking good for yours truly in BG

not even looking good for some track time with the new motor (I tend to dislike racing in 100* air:) )

but, maybe in Oct............................................

cheers! (eh)

Originally posted by Tony87gn
I believe there was some machining with my main bearings, the machine shop doing the engine called Eagle to see if they could buy bearings from them and Eagle didnt even know what to tell them:rolleyes:

Rod bearings need machined. Use narrow mains and they fit out of the box.

runs just fine, but very little valid track time.....too hot here

check with me in Oct in Vegas