Anybody have an Eagle crank installed in a running motor yet?

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
........It actually dropped in right out of the box with no machine work anywhere?????

Thanks,

Crank required no machine work. The rod bearings need to be machined to fit the radius on the rod journal ends.

Thanks for the answer, think they will all be like that or luck of the draw with needing no machine work?

Thanks,

Originally posted by azgn
I just drove it home this afternoon

as I understand no machining, just a little metal for balancing (internal)

new combo is all forged internels (pistons, crank, rods), 3 steel caps, Innovative BB 70. V2, 83's, ported GN1's, FAST, BHJ balancer, JW Flexplate, Precision 70mm/plenum/RJC plate

(your basic 24 psi TSM combo:D )

how did you get forged rods?

uuumm, most anybody in the business will make 'em for you

Eagle, Manley, etc

Yup, Crower and/or Cunningham will even make you a set of Titanium rods just make sure you have about $3000:D :eek:

Damn, uuummmmm how come two months ago it was so hard to find rods but now everyone (vendors) has them? Lots of the fellow buick guys were sweating me telling me just to use the stock rods (no names Mr. GN) cause no one had them unless you wanted to pay 2grand:confused: Thanks any how.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Actually, they are billet rods.:)

They are available at appox. $1000 a set.

Are they full floating / H Beam? For a $1000 I'd hope so:(

Thanks

ATR told me that they were discontinued, looking for a new supplier. That was on the third attempt to get specs and delivery info.

Tom

Anyone else installed one of these things and found that it needed no machine work? I keep hearing rumblings from my SBC buddies that Eagle stuff is decent quality but they need significant machining in order to be run. Think they all will be so easy to drop in?

Thanks,

We use lots of Eagle cranks. Sometimes it may need some "touch up" on a thrust surface or additional polishing. Like any other product, if it would require machining or major re-work, it would be sent back to the supplier.

Depending of the use and application, your SBC buddies may not just be doing a "stock" replacement. Remember, this Buick crank was developed as an improved stock replacement, not a stroker or all-out race piece.

Need to keep the Buick Eagle crank in perspective. We are talking less than 1/3 the cost of a current billet crank, and less than I purchased the last NOS factory cast crank we used!:)

Couple years ago before Eagle came into the picture, guys would have been happy to pay $900+ for a forged crank. With the crank and proper balancer/flexplate, price is still very reasonable.

Rods....

It's funny you guys should mention rods in this thread..... Check out the email I just got from Eagle....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent : Friday, April 30, 2004 1:42 PM
To : "Steve V." <wanted667@hotmail.com>
Subject : Re: I think you should make rods for...

Steve,
We are considering stroker cranks. We are just getting feedback from
everyone first. Rods are in development. They should be released soon.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:) :cool:

Re: Rods....

Originally posted by 86brick
It's funny you guys should mention rods in this thread..... Check out the email I just got from Eagle....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent : Friday, April 30, 2004 1:42 PM
To : "Steve V." <wanted667@hotmail.com>
Subject : Re: I think you should make rods for...

Steve,
We are considering stroker cranks. We are just getting feedback from
everyone first. Rods are in development. They should be released soon.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:) :cool:
:D :D

Originally posted by azgn
I just drove it home this afternoon

as I understand no machining, just a little metal for balancing (internal)

Woody, did you have the rear main seal surface knurled? If so who did it and how much did it cost? If not do you have any leaks so far? Thanks for any info.