Any TV experts here? Sony LCD help

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
SONY KDF-E42A10 3 years old. TV has been flawless, wife was watching this morning and the TV goes blank. No indicator light on at all. YES, checked for power at receptacle. Power strip has stereo, DVD, cable box and TV on it. It is powered up and all other stuff is working fine.

What to look for???? Ready to call someone which I hate to do but don't feel like messing with this thing, got too busy.

If you can post scan data or a log file. If you don't have these try hitting it real hard..........:biggrin: Not much help I know, but it has worked in the past...

Turn the tv on and check to see if the on light for the tv is blinking. If it is blinking there is your code. Just like a car. If that does not work see if it does it in the off position. I have had this happen to me a few times and every time it has been the bulb. Hope this helps

Like I said, TOTALLY dead. No indicator lights at all including the power on bulb. Got a guy coming over soon, sounds like a real piece of work, we'll see. To add insult to injury I somehow got a virus on the computer while looking for how-to's on the TV repair.

Well that just sucks.

Wait... When you say "looking for how-to's on the TV repair", that's not code for something else is it? :D

Well if it's an LCD tv there isn't a bulb to change. I've been in your shoes and it was a Sony SXRD tv. Most of the time the replacement part is more expensive than buying a new TV.

Well if it's an LCD tv there isn't a bulb to change. I've been in your shoes and it was a Sony SXRD tv. Most of the time the replacement part is more expensive than buying a new TV.
That should give you a warm and fuzzy feeling Mark...:tongue:

Well solved the virus problem on the computer I got from searching for fixes on this problem and just paid a guy $90 to take the TV away! Hopefully this guy can fix it, told him to call me with a price, wish I could fix it myself but don't have the time and hate electronics unless it has something to do with cars! I will still pick the TV up from him if he says it can't be fixed. Not sure if I trust him or not. Been around for years but who knows, might say it can't be fixed and then keeps it.

Guy seemed a little weird but guess you have to be to work on TV's all the time.:rolleyes: This was/is a $1500 TV and IS a LCD Projection TV. Already moved one of our smaller 7 TV's into the living room for now. Please feel sorry for me.:biggrin: Wife's already bitching, what?? No surround sound!:rolleyes: She expected me to just go out and drop $2k for a new TV. Wait til she sees the FedEx guy drop off my new wheels tomorrow. Hey, it's a business write off for research and developement.

Wow, think I remember you posting about getting that TV years ago???!!

Ready to call someone which I hate to do but don't feel like messing with this thing, got too busy.

Sears Home Services will come to you and work on it, whether you bought it at Sears or not. They will also sell a you service contract on all of your appliances, whether you bought it from them or not. Given the short life expectancy of most LCD/Plasma tv's and the fact most appliances & lawn and garden equipment seem to be manufactured for "planned obsolescence", it can turn out to be a good deal. In my area they charge $65 for an estimate on appliances, $96 for an estimate on your riding mower. 

Most sets still have a main power fuse inside of the set, just have to follow the power cord, it will lead you to the power supply module. If the fuse is good, then usually the switching power supply has gone bad.

One word of advise to everyone that has expensive electronics like that big HDTV, at the very least buy a UPS/Surge suppressor. Modern switching power supplies hate power bumps by your local utilities, and greatly shorten their life.

I use to be a tv service tech 15 years ago, but now I'm a broadcast tv engineer...funny how that happened.

Steve