5 sec. grand national

231V6

Now That I Have Your Attention This Is Not A 5 Sec Motor!
Yesterday July 7,2006 I Got My G.n. Motor Back From The Machine Shop. One Might Say Not Such A Big Deal But It Has Been There For Three Years. Wtf You Say !thats What Ive Been Sayin For Three Years, Wtf!
It Has Been A Long And Tedious Battle With Mark, The Machinist. To Be Perfectly Honest I Gave Him A Year And A Half To Do This Job Because He Said He Was Too Busy To Take On Any New Jobs.
He Did End Up Accepting The Job On My Terms But Only After I Flashed A Whole Lot Of Hundreds At Him,(20 To Be Exact) That Was Just The Down Payment For Machine Work. I Supplyed All The Parts Except For Bearings And I (think) That Is Where All The Problems Started.
Well Anyway A Year Goes By And Im Thinking When Is Mark Gonna Call And Say Its Done, But That Call Never Comes. Trying To Be The Patient Person That I Am.......(not) I Wait A Few More Weeks But Still No Phone Call So I Will Make The Call. This Is Where The Fun Starts.
Hi Mark Hows Things, Hows The Motor Coming? I Havent Touched It Yet He Says Ive Had A Lot Of Small Jobs Come In Lately , I Need More Time. More Time I Say How Much More? He Says Give Me Three Months And I Should Be Cought Up Enough To Start Yours And Im Thinging "your Got To Be Kidding" But In Reality I Dont Even Have A Car To Put It In Yet So I Say See You Three Months.
Three Months To The Day I Get The Call" Ive Got Your Block Cleaned Ready For Machining But..............here's The Problem " I Dont Have The Eqipment I Need To Machine Your Billet Main Caps But I Deal With A Guy Who Does, He Is Just A Little Backed Up Right Now, About A Month, And I Cant Do Any Other Work Until Those Caps Are On The Block And It Is Align Bored And Honed.
Im Thinking "excuse" But Makes Sence Cause If The Line Bore Is Not Straight Nothing Else Will Be Either. About Two Months Later He Calls And Says I Got Your Block Back W/caps Installed "looks Really Nice" But........... I Just Realized I Need A New Set Of Stones To Do The Finish Hone But That Will Only Take A Few Days. Yeah Right More Excuses!
Finally Arp Studs And 4 Billet Steel Main Caps Installed W/flawless Hone Job And Im Thinking Were On A Roll
Shouldnt Be Long Now....... Right?.......not.
He Says Im Ready To Install The Crank (eagle Billet) But I Cant Find Your Bearings, "i Say Did You Buy Them Yet" And After Some Arguing He Finally Remembers He Was Going To Buy Them. Two More Weeks Go Bye And I Get The Call, I Got Your Bearings In Yesterday, Did The Preassembly On The Crank, Checked Endplay, Everything Is Good, It Spins Very Nice, But..........."oh **** Here It Comes More Excuses" ..........i Have Torque Plates For Every Motor Except The Buick 3.8l. If You Want Me To Use Torque Plates When I Do The Cylinder Bore Im Going To Have To Buy Some. Dumb Question Ofcourse I Want You To Use Them!
It Is Going To Take A Couple Of Weeks He Said. Wtf I Said!.
Another Month Goes By He Calls And Says He Has The Plates And He Is Almost Ready To Start The Cylinder Boring But..........."i Took On Some New Jobs In The Last Month That I Have To Finish To Pay Some Bills, As Soon As They Are Done You Will Be Back On Top".
Now Im Getting Really Anoyed But I Almost Understand And I Still Dont Have The Car So I Say Whatever. Yet Another Month Goes By And He Calls To Tell Me The Cylinder Boring And Finish Hone Are Done And That He Is On To The Preassembly Of The Block. Finally Right?
He Assembled Rods And Pistons, File Fit The Rings, Installed Cam Bearings, Roller Cam, Installed Crank, Piston&rod Assembly, Checked For Any Clearence Issues And Resolved The Ones He Said He Found.
All Is Well With Preassembly So It Is Time To Dissasemble Everything For Balancing But.......... Now He Tells Me He Didnt Realize That The Buick Motors Need Special Bob Weights That He Does Not Have. "****ing Outstanding I Say How Long Is This Gunna Take"
He Tells Me That" Because It It Coming Out Of His Pocket And They Are Not Cheap It Might Take Awhile". Again More Time Goes By And More Jobs That Bump Me Back. Finally Back On Top, Dont Know How Long Its Been Now, Weights Came In, Crank, Rods, Pistons Ballanced But, And This Is Where The **** Starts To Get Deep, Somehow The Brand New Out Of The Box Centerforce Billet Flywheel I Supplyed Is Not Flat And Needs To Be Ground.
He Tells Me You Have To Expect Problems Like These When All Of Your Parts Are Second Hand Mailorder.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Apearently If You Dont Buy Your Parts From Him The Parts Are All Junk.
Ok Flywheel Is Now Flat (again) And Balanced. Now To Balance Stock Damper. He Tells Me That Because The Factory Damper Is For An Externally Balanced Assembly And Now Mine Is Internally Balanced He Has To Cut Off The Counterweight And Drill Alot Of Holes To Make It Right.
A Week Later I Get The Call "hey I Did All The Machining On Your Balancer, It Looks Beautiful, But............when I Went To Install It On The Crank For Balancing The Light Hit It Just Right And I Found A Crack By The Keyway".
The Funny Thing About The Crack He (found) Is That In The Beginning That Damper Was A Press Fit On The Crank And After His Machining It Was A Slip Fit. Go Figure.
So Now After Some Searching To Find A New One I Find Bhj Dynamics Inc. They Have A Very Nice Balancer For The Buick That Is Already Interally Balanced, S.f.i. Approved, And An Optional Trigger Wheel For The Ignition. Well After A Month I Was Able To Buy It But In The Meantime I Got Bumped Back Yet Again. "call Me In A Month It Will Be All Done". Fast Forward Another Month, "hey Mark Hows It Looking" Yet Again He Tells Me That He Need To Bring In Some Money For The Buisness So He Had To Take On Some New Jobs.
This Is Where I Loose It, I Proceed To Throw All His Excuses , Lies, And Bull**** In His Face And We Get Into A Legnthy Argument About How Impatient I Am And How All My Parts Were Junk And He Doesnt Understand Why I Am Wasting His Time Building A "pathetic V6 That Will Never Make Any Real Power " Then When I Told The Little Prick That He Had A Week To Finish The Job He Told Me That The Only Way That Was Going To Happen Was In Pieces.
I Calmed Myself, Then I Proceded To Inform Him That I Was Going To Hang Up The Phone And Make Two Calls, One To The Better Buisness Beauro, And One To My Lawyer.
I Hung Up And Called My Wife To See How Her Day Was Going And Tell Her About Mine We Talk For A Little While, In The Meantime My Call- Waiting Was Blowing Up With Calls From The Machine Shop.
I Let Him Sweat It Out For Awhile, Hung Up With My Wife And Waited For Him To Call Back. When He Did He Had A Totally Different Aditude.
He Called To Appolagize And To Let Me Know That The Engine Would Be Completely Finished On The 7th.
When I Show Up On The 7th He Is All Smiles And Apolajetic
And Tells Me How I Had Just Cought Him On A Bad Day, Like I Give A **** At This Point, And He Tells Me About The Things He Did And Isnt Going To Charge Me For. All Told It Cost Me About $2800.00 For Labor , Three Years, And Lots Of Headaches To Get A Motor That I Am Not Sure He Didnt Sabotage, Especially Considering His Warranty Is As Followes, And I Quote "all Work Done On A Best Effort Basis Only. No Warranty On Race, Partial Assemblys, High Performance, Or Turbo Charged Engines"
The Irony Of This Story Is The Local Grand National Guru Told Me In The Begining About A Machine Shop That Specialize's In These Motors And They Said They Could Do It But They Would Need While But It Would Cost More.
I Went With Mark For A Couple Of Different Reasons Money, Locality, And Two Recomendations From A Friend And A Nieghbor. Well About A Year Into This Endeavor My Nieghbor Got His Nitrous Ready 302 Back From Mark And Within The First 50 Miles Of Breakin The Two Nuts On The Connecting Rod He Forgot To Torque Fell Into The Oil Pan At Around 3000 R.p.m. (i Think You Can Figure Out The Rest). Luckily My Friend Has Not Fired Up His 351w Yet And We Are Going To Open It Up And Check Everything. Needless To Say I Am Going To Do The Same.
I Guess The Moral Of The Story Is Just Because You Are Saving Money Doesnt Mean You Are Going To Save Time (and Im Pretty Sure I Got Ripped Off In Time And Money)

Thank You For Reading This And Watch Out For *******s Like Mark.

Sorry for your luck.... So I gotta ask, how much longer does it take to capitalize every word?

sorry to hear about your problems, i had a big gn fl builder do my ty motor and the same thing happened. slow build, low oil pressure, and more, come to find out he stops answering calls once the motor is out of his shop and he is paid. the once he answers he goes well i told you no warrenty on race motors even if it onlys has 500 miles. live and learn just don't go back.

Interesting read..

Sounds like ur builder really isnt a 231 buick guy. Makes me wonder why u would go with him in the first place. I payed a lil less then u did for a very similar build, and I too supplied most of the parts, but I would have threatened to pull all of my stuff out much earlier in that story. U need to make the board members aware of this shop and builder so that this wont happen again. Good luck with the motor.

I bet you $100 that your motor doesn't last 500 miles. Not just because he may have gotten rushed at the end, but because if he hasn't built any buick motors before (I'm guessing since he had none of the equipment needed this may be his first) this one isn't going to be right. Hell, even the ones I had built by "professionals" were wrong.

I also cannot understand how paying $2800 was cheaper? Who was more than that? Christ, thats the highest I've heard of considering he didn't provide many materials.

Better check the clearances all over, and endplay.

Why didn't you take your motor to someone who knows Buick Motors?

People like your buddy don't know buick engines and tolorances....
Tell us the name of the shop and the machinest...

I've had two TR motors rebuilt. The first guy upped the price after he had the car. I think it cost me about $4.5k after all was said and done. The motor leaked oil from day one. And I DO mean day one! The day he drove the car to my house, I looked under it and there was a huge oil spot. He drove it back to his shop and returned it a few days later. Continued to leak but not as bad. I had it back to him several times. I told him that as far as I was concerned, his 12 month 12k warranty starts when I AM HAPPY and the SOB doesn't leak any oil. I heard from his nephew that he was just waiting for the warranty to run out so that he wouldn't have to mess with me. When I heard that, I wrote him a letter, threatening legal action. I said I would get it fixed elsewhere if that is what it took, and then I would take him to court for reimbursement. Well, he called and left me a message saying he would take care of me. He finally replaced a few parts (front cover I believe) and the leak stopped for a while. It started up again after a couple of months and continues to this day, about 3 years later. I think it is either the rear main seal or the O ring in the oil cooler adaptor. Or maybe both. Fortunately the car runs fine and I can't complain about his machining skills.
I paid $3500 for my other TR rebuild by another shop and except for a low oil pressure problem (which he fixed somehow-don't ask me how because it didn't appear to include changing the oil pump spring) everything works fine. I probably put 20,000 miles on it.
Both rebuilds included labor for taking the motor out and putting it back in.

MARK @ B&M MACHINE BROOKLYNE, CT.(not affiliated with b&m performance, which i have much respect for)
(spooln)-not sure who you are refering too as "buddy" but if it is mark he definetly not my buddy.
as far as "someone that knows buicks" goes there may be buick specific issues but a machinist is a machinist. the difference is attention to specs and details. if you have/or have access to the right equipment and you know how to use it it shouldnt matter if it a buick,chevy,ford,mopar,ect. i will definetly not go back to him, or refer him to anyone but so far his machine work LOOKS good. as we all know looks can be decieving.
and dont get it twisted i am NOT defending him or his work BUT i still havent checked it yet, it MAY turn out to be in spec but i am always the pesimist!

luckilly i have/have access to all tools nessecary to dissasemble this thing,check all specs, and reassemble it. at least if something is out of spec i will know ahead of time.
(scott atk)- as far as the capital thing goes, i cant explain that. when i typed it it was all capitalized. when i posted it -well you see what happened-
(turbosam6)-just for ****s and giggles tommorow i will post the break down of the labor cost and you guys can tell me if or how bad i got ripped off and where.
anyway thank you all for reading about my ****ty situation and wishing me luck because i might need it!

231V6 said:
as far as "someone that knows buicks" goes there may be buick specific issues but a machinist is a machinist.

And thats why you'll have a big iron paperweight in less than 500 miles.

Hey Rick----These cars leak oil. Its a given. I'd count your lucky stars that motor hasn't self destructed yet.

BuickGn Boosted said:
:biggrin: That was the hardest post to read that I have ever seen. :eek:

LoL, I was thinking the same thing. I still dont know what this thread is about.

(QUOTE )as far as "someone that knows buicks" goes there may be buick specific issues but a machinist is a machinist. the difference is attention to specs and details. if you have/or have access to the right equipment and you know how to use it it shouldnt matter if it a buick,chevy,ford,mopar,ect................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I completely diagree,you can be the best builder around,but if you dont know all the little tricks in these motors ONLY,you will have problems..and those are learned threw mistakes and being around the tr motors and people all the time,plain and simple....no book is going to help build the best block and no phone call will do,and that is what it sounds like he did....like most stated i dont think it will last long,i hope it does because he sounds like a ars and it sounds like it been to much of a pain and then to try to build another one :rolleyes: it could drive you away from tr cars,but dont give up just next time post on here for someone local,ive got a great friend that owns a machine shop and is awesome and built the baldwin motion motor,but im hessitant to take him my extra turbo motor and will wait for one local guy to do it that has a reputation for these motors......

turbosam6 said:
And thats why you'll have a big iron paperweight in less than 500 miles.

Hey Rick----These cars leak oil. Its a given. I'd count your lucky stars that motor hasn't self destructed yet.

Boy Sam, Chear Up! First you say 231V6's motor will become a paperweight, then you say I'm plain lucky that my car still runs! I would think that based on the number of GN's out there with a lot of miles, probably many have been rebuilt, and only a minority have self destructed from poor machining. Of course we read about them here, so we ASSume most machine shops suck. The guy who did my TR had never done one before. Aside from the oil leaks, he did a good job (I hope). The guy who did my GN had rebuilt 2 GN's before mine. I spoke with the owners and they were happy with the results. Actually, I was kind of expecting potential problems with any shop i went to, which is why I stayed in the local area. I know one guy who sent his motor out to New Jersey- twice. And that was to a supposed expert who was written up in a 3 part magazine article. We all know your problems with the "experts".

No cheering up needed, I'm picking up my 700 rwhp LS1 next weekend!

Honestly Rick, I'm suprised as hell your Hedrick motor has lasted this long. he doesn't even have that good of a rep with SBC/BBC guys, so I figured since he didn't have hardly any TR experience and no buick specific tools (torque plate, etc) the motor would have oiling issues. Didn't it have low oil psi though? Thought I remembered you saying that one year at BG, maybe it was overheating, hell I can't remember.

I gotta tell you though, I don't miss the buick headaches one bit. There are some serious HP LS1's out now, and the future looks bright. Several turbo cars are pushing well over 1000 HP, still streetable. Mine won't be that wild, but it will be 100% street car--pump gas, A/C, leather, etc. Then we spray it.........

breakdown of prices

LABOR complete bored block prep....................................410.00
install stress plates...............................................59.00
[fit billet main caps]align bore...............................350.00
v6 align hone block.............................................125.00
square and deck v6 block.....................................170.00
balance complete v6 assembly..............................295.00
add heavy metal 2@60.00....................................120.00
file fit ring end gaps..............................................56.00
thermal install piston on rods 6@6.00.......................36.00
preassemble short block and check clearance
before balance work............................................125.00
v6 assembly of short block...................................375.00
locate, drill and tap for front oiling..........................75.00
glyptal lifter valley & crankcase..............................65.00
cut rods & piston pins for side clearance..................80.00
radius main bearings to fit crank...........................125.00
SUBTOTAL.......................................................2466.00

PARTS
ms960v-std clevite.............................................123.97
7/8 X 1" heavy metal ea. 2@20.00..........................40.00
cb1398h-std clevite 6@13.71.................................82.26
sh1448s clevite cam bearings.................................16.00
SUBTOTAL........................................................262.23
TOTAL parts & labor.........................................2,728.23

231V6 said:
He Said He Was Too Busy To Take On Any New Jobs.
Hmm, when a machanic/shop says this to you...run like hell. This means one of two things....they don't want to work on your stuff, or they don't know jack about the application you have....a machanic will never admit they do not know how to work on something ;)
If they are not taking on new jobs, how do they stay in business, a complete overhaul shouldn't take much more than 2 weeks on average..so in 2 weeks they should be done with all current business and if they turned away everything today..then no new businss means out of business.

BuickGn Boosted said:
:biggrin: That was the hardest post to read that I have ever seen. :eek:

You know what it is..its one of those mind trick things- look straight through it and blur your vision..see it?...yes you do keep trying... now yes.. AHHH WTF a FORD emblem........lol