Any truth to this Volvo rumor?

ez at nova

I hate rice
I just heard a rumor that Volvo is planning on releasing a car with a hood that can only be opened by their dealer techs. Anyone else heard of this?
I would NOT put it past them. I know the S40 has a crazy oil filter CARTRIDGE to make you buy them from the dealership, and the brake pads require a "special" Volvo tool to push in the pistons to get the pads out! What a scam! My friend and I were able to do the job by rigging different tools to finally get the job done, but it took no less than 4 hands to do it.

Actually, this is not a woman bashing comment, but I read an article a while back about a car that Volvo had women design for women. And one of the attributes that they most wanted was that the hood couldn't be opened and the car could only be serviced by technicians.

Read this link.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-03-02-ycc_x.htm

My wife can beat up their wife. If she could not open the hood, my wife would freak. I can not wait till the bills go through so the car companies can not do this to us. I hate crap like this. Can not work on your own car. I bought it, I payed for it is mine. I should be able to do what I want. I would love someone to tell me I can not replace my hot water heater in my house.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I can only attest to having heard the same rumours. Looking at it from an auto manufacturer's point of view as it pertains to warranties it makes sense, but still stinks.

remember when EFI came out... it was "The End of Hot-Rodding"...LOL. Then it was OBD II.. "The end of Hot-rodding II"...

Point is: The Hood WILL open.

Well, you have a point, but it is quite different from PHYSICALLY prohibiting people from working on teh car, which is what Vulva is doing.
I just talked to my friend again and he says he has yet to be able to change the plugs because the stupid fake plastic engine cover is held on by odd size torx bit bolts. Sheesh.

I imagine the idea of the hood not opening is ONLY for this model. Come on folks, people WOULD NOT buy cars if the hood was sealed shut. Granted, some people would like the idea and that's fine.. open the market to thos people who are looking for a sealed hood.

But the day my hood is sealed shut is the day I gotta break out the Sawzall. :)

"We learned that if you meet women's expectations, you exceed those for men," Olsson said.

Crock of sh!t. Ridiculously funny, but a steaming, stinking, fresh crock of sh!t nonetheless.

Steve

Years ago (1950s) Rolls Royce did the same thing. But if your car ever broke down, there would be a Rolls tech there within hours - if you lived in SoCal at least. For Rolls I think it was a status type thing and they probably didn't want some guy who only know Plymouths to wrench on their masterpiece.

I heard the same about Volkswagen

I would not buy a car I couldn't at least change the oil on.

"Yes, you can buy this house for $200,000 but the doors are locked and no one makes a key except for the people who built the house. So if something breaks let us know and they will come and fix it."

Originally posted by XLR8
Years ago (1950s) Rolls Royce did the same thing. But if your car ever broke down, there would be a Rolls tech there within hours - if you lived in SoCal at least. For Rolls I think it was a status type thing and they probably didn't want some guy who only know Plymouths to wrench on their masterpiece.

I dont know why,well I do know why. The Rolls V-8 of the 50's,60's and 70's was a direct copy of Oldsmobiles famous Rocket V-8 to the point that the cylinder heads and valve covers would interchange, or so I have heard. Never bothered to look at one close enough but the last one I saw at a car show did look simuliar. It would only make sense that Goober or Cooter be granted temperary certified R-R technician status in an emergency. Did you ever wonder how long it takes a part to come from Conventry,England to the USA. Forever back in the days before FedEx. Can you imagine if every car maker made it impossible to work on your car? My prediction for the future: Which ever car maker that offers a car or truck with a hood that opens will sell the most. Disturbing fact, over 60% of NEW vehicle sales are made by women. Maybe the future isn't that far away. The next time your at a car dealer, car show,car race or anything remotly related to cars take a look at how many women you see actually working on a car. You wont see many!

If my hood doesn't open on my car it's because the whole front body clip unhinges and tilts forward...;)

Where's the battery gonna be located?? Coolant reservoirs,Windshield washer fluid tank???

Headlight bulb goes out, what do I do??

Wonder if you even get a spare tire??Bet the lug nuts need a "special tool" to get them off.
:D

What if the fuel line breaks or an oil line splits spraying hot oil/gas onto the motor causing it to catch on fire and your goin' down the road at 65mph+ and by the time you can get slowed down to the side your car is on fire and so you call 911,(I keep it on speeddial on my cell:D ), and call the fire dept and they rush to the scene only to find out.........................................:rolleyes:

Originally posted by turbofish38
Disturbing fact, over 60% of NEW vehicle sales are made by women.

Because a man knows what he wants in a car when he buys it.

And with a used car you can typicaly just get alot more of what you want for the money.

This is why I never bought a car new and don't see myself doing so ever.