Is it worth the trouble to have stock heads ported?

I'm sooooo happy I didn't read this thread before I took a set of stock heads to the machine shop, drank beers, cut for larger valves, drank beers, sent a bowl port down the throat, drank some beers..... Then hand blended the cuts to the port in TTA308's garage while drinking beers and listening to the Allmand Brothers with *I forget his screen name*. Literally easy stuff that anybody with a Dremal tool could do after the seats are cut.

I could have just spend an extra $1100 for the same thing. (maybe).

I'm sooooo happy I didn't read this thread before I took a set of stock heads to the machine shop, drank beers, cut for larger valves, drank beers, sent a bowl port down the throat, drank some beers..... Then hand blended the cuts to the port in TTA308's garage while drinking beers and listening to the Allmand Brothers with *I forget his screen name*. Literally easy stuff that anybody with a Dremal tool could do after the seats are cut.

I could have just spend an extra $1100 for the same thing. (maybe).
Is it really that easy? Seems like critical work that an amateur such as myself could screw up in a hurry.

Is it really that easy? Seems like critical work that an amateur such as myself could screw up in a hurry.

You can't cut seats at home without special tooling.

but any monkey with a Dremal tool can open up the choked down bowls pretty quickly.

Just open up the bowls first, that way if you kiss the seat, it'll get fixed during the valve job.

Never have owned a set of aftermarket aluminum heads for these cars. Is it easier to make power? Maybe...... but, ported stock irons have been 8.80's so I don't see a huge advantage. Aluminum can be welded and repaired if severely damaged but irons won't damage as easily either.

Aluminum wicks more heat out of the combustion chamber and puts it in the cooling system. When you switch to alum heads, you really need to increase the compression to keep everything equal.

You can't cut seats at home without special tooling.

but any monkey with a Dremal tool can open up the choked down bowls pretty quickly.

Just open up the bowls first, that way if you kiss the seat, it'll get fixed during the valve job.
Are you calling me a monkey? Damn dude iv'e been like a daddy to you...lol... Btw his screen name is Eric Church

Are you calling me a monkey? Damn dude iv'e been like a daddy to you...lol... Btw his screen name is Eric Church

I opened up the bowls with the seat and guide machine. Your monkey ass tried to blend the port to the bowl cut I made. :D

There are no Almonds in the Allman brothers band. ;)

RIP.

Best music to do anything by... :cool:

I would add up the cost of everything involved to the job start to finish if I were to make that decision.

I wonder what the best times on monkey ported heads was? o_O

Probably 9's.

Moneywise on Roberts monkey heads so far are the price of the oversized intake valves and 12 seals. The rest is labor.

The machine shop will have to do the 3 angle valve job and machine the heads flat. If you do the porting at home then take the heads to a shop, it's basically be a standard rebuild. It'll be more money if any exhaust seats or guides need to be replaced. OD intakes will offer up new meat if those seats are beat up. Might be a small charge to lower the guides and cut the exhausts for seals. Nothing that's huge money.

Any monkey can hand clearance the pedestals for roller rockers at home too (I used a milling machine and a ball mill since I had one).