Any thoughts on the GT 6152 Turbo?

dgreene

Broke as hell.........
I've been thinking of upgrading from my current TA-49 to something a little larger possibly the GT 6152 Turbo. Any one try one of these? How does it compare to the TA-49? My current mods are in my sig.

TIA!

I think on a stock motored car, the TA49 and TE44 are tough to beat. Just crank it to 25lbs and let them rip. You will need a converter and run the 61 at 25+ to see any gains. My $.02.

dgreene said:
I've been thinking of upgrading from my current TA-49 to something a little larger possibly the GT 6152 Turbo. Any one try one of these? How does it compare to the TA-49? My current mods are in my sig.

TIA!

I honestly can't compare the 2, but it has a much more efficient wheel and should flow significantly more at lower boost. I recently started pushing mine to 18-20 psi on the new engine and the car is absolutely violent. On pump gas only and low timing, the car blows the tires off of the street in 1st & 2nd from a roll. I'm sure the heads, FMIC & cam are helping to see these 448-468 grams/sec MAF readings on Turbolink, but the turbo spools up quickly with a 3K stall. From a highway roll, it pulls unbelievable and this is all on a street tune.

I came from 10 second turbocharged 99 GT I owned and raced for years so I have good experience regarding what a fast car feels like. This car feels like it is making more torque down low than my GT ever did. I love this turbo and combination. I refused to follow everyone else and get a TA49/TE44 only to sell it in a year and went straight to a PT6152 from stock and glad I did. It seems to pull hard in any gear. Once I can get a tire on the car and tune it, I will provide more info. I would honestly be scared to drive this car on alky with 23-25 psi and more timing on the street without ET streets or some real sticky tire.

I have seen a lot of people with stock motors go from 44s or 49s to 60 series turbos and the car runs about the same. If you plan on going into the motor eventually, then get the bigger turbo. You may go a little faster with a bigger turbo, but it will cost a lot of money to do so after you out a TC in.

You will need a converter and run the 61 at 25+

Does the 6152 need more convertor than the 3200 Vigilante that I already have? I thought they needed less stall? Also, I'm running my TA-49 at 26PSI all the time as I only run Sunoco 112.

If you plan on going into the motor eventually, then get the bigger turbo

I have some big plans for the engine( or I should say another engine) in the near future!!

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!! :cool:

dgreene said:
Does the 6152 need more convertor than the 3200 Vigilante that I already have? I thought they needed less stall? Also, I'm running my TA-49 at 26PSI all the time as I only run Sunoco 112.

I have some big plans for the engine( or I should say another engine) in the near future!!

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!! :cool:

Your stall will be close, maybe a tad laggy but definitly streetable. I ran this turbo for a little while and it was nice on a stock motor with a nl Vigilante 0 pump. But when I decided to go into the motor ( set up in my sig ) the 61 wasn't the best for the set up I had in mind. I went with a Turbonetics T-70 P trim with the .82 ar housing from Cottons ( non ball bearing ) and it is a monster, regular street driving it's as friendly as can be but once you hit the pedal :eek: watch out. It'll blaze the tires off at will and from a 55mph roll and you kick down say to pass someone be careful cause it'll blaze the tires off then too. I have to pull out and be straight before I can kick to pass. I love it! :D

DonnieShort said:
Your stall will be close, maybe a tad laggy but definitly streetable. I ran this turbo for a little while and it was nice on a stock motor with a nl Vigilante 0 pump. But when I decided to go into the motor ( set up in my sig ) the 61 wasn't the best for the set up I had in mind. I went with a Turbonetics T-70 P trim with the .82 ar housing from Cottons ( non ball bearing ) and it is a monster, regular street driving it's as friendly as can be but once you hit the pedal :eek: watch out. It'll blaze the tires off at will and from a 55mph roll and you kick down say to pass someone be careful cause it'll blaze the tires off then too. I have to pull out and be straight before I can kick to pass. I love it! :D

Sounds awesome! My friends told me I should move to a 70 series with my setup. I ran a T-76 on my GT and the car trapped 121-122 @ 12 psi locking the converter on 93 octane. I'm sure I would be able to get good money for the PT61 since the prices have gone up and I might go for a BB T-70 after Christmas. We will see. I do love the PT61 though.

As far as lag, I'm sure the heads & RJC BC are making a big differnce , because 10 feet out and the tires are gone from a flat punch.

Hey,

The only turbos I've ever had in my car are the stock one and a GT6152. My mods are in my sig., if it's not there then it is stock (I do have vacuum brakes). I have 60,000 mile car with even the stock timing gear (need to change that soon). With my 3200 stall converter the car is awesome on the street.

I went to the track for the first time last night (1/8 mile). I drove my car there 100 miles and was able to drive right onto the track and run. Unfortunately all my vacuum hoses blew off (no brakes!!), and I couldn't keep them on so I only made two runs. On 18-19 lbs. of boost, in the exact street trim that I drove there (30 lbs. of air in my BFG Dr's 275/60), here are the times that I ran on my second run:

60 ft. 1.9378
330 ft. 5.2219
1/8 et 7.9627
1/8 MPH 89.66

As you can see from the mph, it looks like I am making similar power to you with less boost. I am really happy with my GT6152.

Mark

mark_123456 said:
Hey,

The only turbos I've ever had in my car are the stock one and a GT6152. My mods are in my sig., if it's not there then it is stock (I do have vacuum brakes). I have 60,000 mile car with even the stock timing gear (need to change that soon). With my 3200 stall converter the car is awesome on the street.

I went to the track for the first time last night (1/8 mile). I drove my car there 100 miles and was able to drive right onto the track and run. Unfortunately all my vacuum hoses blew off (no brakes!!), and I couldn't keep them on so I only made two runs. On 18-19 lbs. of boost, in the exact street trim that I drove there (30 lbs. of air in my BFG Dr's 275/60), here are the times that I ran on my second run:

60 ft. 1.9378
330 ft. 5.2219
1/8 et 7.9627
1/8 MPH 89.66

As you can see from the mph, it looks like I am making similar power to you with less boost. I am really happy with my GT6152.

Mark

It's a really nice turbo and I loved mine. Before I changed my set up to what I have now, I ran a bolt-on only stock motor and I ran an easy 11.40 @ 116.5mph on BFG DR's through the mufflers, the 1/8th et and mph on that run was 7.26 @ 94.82mph. So it will go fast. But for comparison purposes, the T70 pulls harder at 16psi than that 61 did at 26psi with a ton more on top end. BTW, my 61 was a P trim not the 52 wheel they are now using, so my exhaust wheel was a little bigger.

Picking a turbo is such a chore.

What about the version of the 6152 with the 4" inlet and the 3" outlet? Would it be pretty good?

As far as my future plans, here's what I have gotten together for the new engine so far.

Low mileage 109 block
.030 over TRW forged pistons with lightweight pins
Eagle forged crank - plus the correct flexplate and balancer
RJC Girdle
Ported iron heads
ported intake
ARP hardware(bolts and studs)
208 Cam
All the gaskets and all the other little things you need for a rebuild.

I still need to find me a good set of rods(I have a couple of sets of 2 dot rods, but would like something a little stronger to go with what I have). I will also probably go with a good roller cam as well since I'm at it.

Anyway, may just keep beating on that 49 for awhile and see what all else I can come up with for my new build before going with something else. :cool:

I would really like to see how fast people have gone with a PT6152 with Ported Irons or GN1s, Cam, intercooler on pump gas and on C16. If you can run 11.40s with stock engine, I'm sure good flowing heads, intake & cam would easily touch 10s probably on alky. I still would like to try a T-70 next year. :biggrin:

The scary thing is, there are 4 cylinders making over 600 rwhp with the GT-35R which shares the same compressor wheels as the PT61. They are running them at 30 psi though and they are BB.

dgreene said:
Picking a turbo is such a chore.

What about the version of the 6152 with the 4" inlet and the 3" outlet? Would it be pretty good?

I'll let you know here shortly. If my schedule doesn't change, will be doing timing chain, valve springs, front cover in preparation of bolting on my GT6152S, which is the 4" inlet, 3" outlet version, shortly. Just need to get the valvetrain freshened up a bit.....then will be ready to play a bit.

Slo86GN said:
I'll let you know here shortly. If my schedule doesn't change, will be doing timing chain, valve springs, front cover in preparation of bolting on my GT6152S, which is the 4" inlet, 3" outlet version, shortly. Just need to get the valvetrain freshened up a bit.....then will be ready to play a bit.

Cool. Keep me informed on how it goes!!

dgreene said:
Cool. Keep me informed on how it goes!!

No problemo......gonna call SE Turbo in the morning to see when I can take Ol Gray to them for the valvetrain work. Probably gonna have them install some other goodies as well......not having a lift or shop sucks....lol. Should (knock on wood) be done by the weekend after Thanksgiving...I hope. Bunch of folks are getting together at Carolina Dragway for a day of TnT on the 26th. Hoping I can make it for that with the new setup.... :biggrin:

dgreene said:
TIA!

To answer your question, I have done many upgrades from 44/49 to the GT6152. No way in hell can you get it to perform nearly to its potential with a stock converter.

Should have at least a 3600 stall. With this converter, ported heads and the other good stuff needed, easy low 11's can be achieved, and possibly a high 10 if the tune is right on the mark.

Even with the right converter, it is not a responsive as a 44/49, but very close, and will blow them away any time over 20 mph.

I've also read that you need a little more converter than a 3200 stall with the GT6152. I'm looking at upgrading my T over the winter from the stocker and I'm looking at the GT6131, which has a smaller exhaust wheel (same as TE44). Should spool a lot better and match my AC 9" 3200 real good.

I guess it depends on how snappy you like your turbo on the street vs the track and how fast you need to spool the turbo at the line. I also read somewhere that the peak HP difference is probably only reduced from 650 to 625 HP with the smaller exhaust wheel.

Just another option to consider.

murphster said:
I've also read that you need a little more converter than a 3200 stall with the GT6152. I'm looking at upgrading my T over the winter from the stocker and I'm looking at the GT6131, which has a smaller exhaust wheel (same as TE44). Should spool a lot better and match my AC 9" 3200 real good.

I guess it depends on how snappy you like your turbo on the street vs the track and how fast you need to spool the turbo at the line. I also read somewhere that the peak HP difference is probably only reduced from 650 to 625 HP with the smaller exhaust wheel.

Just another option to consider.

That GT6131 sounds more like what I would be after, of course I could always have my convertor restalled from 3200 to 3600.......

I would think you might want the higher stall if you have stock heads, stock boost controller and plan to use slicks on a track. On the street, I can't imagine 3500 stall being a good move. I have a 3K stall converter with my PT6152E and 10-20 feet out in first gear the tires are blown off of the street and I saw 5500 rpms on Turbolink in a flash. It's possible the cam is making a big difference down low as well. Without a real sticky tire, no need in having boost right now unless you want to make a smoke show. This is just what I experience last week and that was spinning in 1st and in 2nd from a roll on 245/50 street radials. Time for ET streets or MT D/Rs then I might see it bog down and want higher stall.

I would have to dis-agree with some of you guys on the stall recommendations...I run a 3200 non lockup art carr converter and my 61 will spool just as fast as a stocker...I think even a 3000 stall is ok to run on the 61, it's all a matter of tune! if you guys wait a little while, we will probably have this turbo in a ball bearing which you might not even have to change the converter! we'll find out soon enough I guess...

I would be easily in the 10's had I not known I was running on a bad headgasket two days ago...not to mention I run heavy ass GN wheels and the GNX wheels up front...the slicks were spinning a little on the rim too which doesn't help much...the 61 turbo is a killer turbo and could easily do high to mid 10's on a perfect tune and good heads