Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

I got mine back together and running this past weekend. I think I had one of the first shipments from TA. Very nice lifters, just like the ones from the pics.

Once the engine was running it took about 3-5 minutes for the lifters to pump up. Since then they are definitely an improvement over the CC lifters. I went through 3 sets of those pieces of dooky... trash inside them, could never get the pre-load right because some would collapse, some were weaker than the others, had to wait for some of them to pump up every damned time I started the motor, sounded like a couple of angry gremlins with ball peen hammers beating on my cam, etc.

None of those problems with the Morels so far. It still is not as quiet as a flat tappet cam, but I think it is about as good as it's going to get for rollers with tie links. There is still a click but I think it is the tie link and I don't think there is any way to avoid it. Maybe they will get quieter more once I get some miles on them. I'm running 5W30 right now, so maybe thicker oil will help. Either way, I can live with it.

For me this was the best solution versus trying to rig up the FWD roller set up like some are doing now. I didn't want to pull the engine again to tap the lifter valley, and I was tired of the car just sitting there because of the CC lifters (among other problems).

I am happy with these lifters and would recommend them to others. Both the quality and the price are an improvement over what was out there before. I'm relieved that I'm not looking at the prospect of having to pull the intake yet again to replace things I've just replaced. On to other things. I finally have roller lifters that are functioning as advertised.

well got all my issues taken care of took it out for a 20 minute ride today to work.Quiet as a mouse,perform awesome,Have not turned the boost up yet still breaking it in but man what a difference.Get in it after work turn key no click click click at all..I love these things thanks Morel and mike bernard for researching this problem.If you guys want an alternative lifter i highly recommend these.

Nice!

So far we're three for three on these new lifters. My experience was, that after you put some miles on them, they quiet down even more.

Happy spooling ...

Mike Barnard

Holy cow...I honestly never thought I'd see the day that Morel would do lifters for these engines...that's just awesome.

I've dealt with their lifters on several different BIG-inch engines, and anyone with experience outside just the Buick stuff will tell you that.....bar none.....Morel makes the best lifters money can buy. He started out doing them decades ago, all by hand, and his stuff is in more $50-$100K engines than you'd believe. Jesel and Isky stuff is top-notch also for the applications that they offer, but doesn't really apply here.

And for under $400, too. Unbelievable. AWESOME news, and great job doing the homework, Spoolfool2.

What's the recommendation for min. idle oil pressure with these (hot), and what is the pre-install procedure (if any) for filling the lifter body with oil?

Your welcome.

Not sure on the min oil PSI, or prelube. You might ask TA. I just soaked mine in oil over night. Also primed the oil pump before start up.

Mike B.

I pumped up my rollers with an old pushrod while submersed in oil. CC Customer Service is the real kicker in my book. I'll never buy another product from them. I sicked my engine builder and some other big motor heads on them and still waited for 4 months for the new lifters. Glad there is now another supplier 's of rollers now. Gene

I did the same as SpoolFool2... soaked the lifters for a few days.

I turned the car over a few times with the fuel pump unplugged to get some oil pumped up into the motor, then reconnected it and fired it up. Took a little while for the lifters to pump up completely, but they have been smooth since then.

If you can hand pump them while submerged in oil with a push rod they should be quiet as soon as the engine starts.

My four year old did not enjoy the noise while waiting for them to quiet down. That and smoke from oil, sealant, and degreaser, etc. burning off the headers, turbo, heads, etc. after all the other work I had done sent him into a tizzy. Good times, good times. :D

What did you use to determine correct push rod length/roller motion across the valve stem? A solid roller replica or a pushrod length checking spring in place of your valve spring? Since my engine is in the car and not on a stand a solid roller would be much easier.
Mike
86 GN

For me,the way to adjust preload with hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers is with an adjustable pushrod. The measuring is done after setting optimal adjuster nut position which depends on which rockers you're using.

1. So bring the #1 intake lobe to its base circle.
2. Set the rocker adjustment screw in the optimal position (T & D rollers).
3. Then tighten the adjustable pushrod till 0.030 preload is achieved?
This sounds like a good starting point. After doing that is it not necessary to put a sharpie mark on the valve tip, install the new length pushrod and the rocker arm and spin the engine a few times to check the motion across the valve stem? Without a solid roller lifter with the exact dimensions as the hyd. roller the spring will not compress properly giving false readings. Without going through this kind of check the valve guides can be wiped out in short order if the roller action is not in the center of the valve stem. Does this company who makes this new lifter offer a solid roller replica so we can check our valvetrain geometry? I know companies like CC make very light springs for this and I was wondering how others do this check with this new length lifter, springs or a solid roller?
Mike
86 GN

I was at TA yesterday and mike says theyve sold about 12 sets so far...I bought some valve covers...and they are working on a 3 1/2 inch down pipe for our cars also.....

What did you use to determine correct push rod length/roller motion across the valve stem? A solid roller replica or a pushrod length checking spring in place of your valve spring? Since my engine is in the car and not on a stand a solid roller would be much easier.
Mike
86 GN

On page 2 (post #39) of this thread, I posted a picture of checking the pushrod length with a adj pushrod. No need for other springs, or taking the head off. Just make sure that your on the base of the cam. Not the lobe.

Mike B.

Question on the TA_V1412....

It says in one place :

Product ID: TA_V1412
V6 Hydraulic Roller Lifter

Then in the details.... it says:

Unlike transplanted Chevy type lifters, TA Roller Lifters are specifically designed for the Buick engines. These SOLID roller lifters have the necessary shrouding to eliminate oil hemorrhage from the oil galley at full lift. TA 1413 is for use with any Stage 1, 2 or 3 roller cam combination. TA 1414 is for use with Stage 4 heads, these lifters incorporate a .200” offset for the intake valve. TA 1104 Lifter Bore Girdle is highly recommended with the use of any roller camshaft big block

I assume the "solid" is a typo.... these are the hyd roller morrells mentioned in this thread?