Any Dodge Magnum Owners?

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
I am testing a Magnum RT tomorrow at a local dealer. I did a search and saw some older posts about them, but figured I'd chime in and see if anybody owned one. Considering the speed freaks on this board, I would guess that the HEMI is probably in any Magnum owned here.

Since they're so new and have gotten pretty rave reviews, I am just wondering if there are any problem areas that arent well known that I should keep an eye out for. And what would you say a fair price is for the following

Black 05 Magnum RT
Rear Wheel Drive
Moonroof
Heated seats
Sirius Sat. radio
Factory Racks
4800 miles
MINT

Thanks for any info, I am sure I'll fall in love with it and have to adopt out the Alero to a good home. I AM VERY EXCITED. And I will LOVE being able to say to the salesman "Its PRETTY fast...I guess. But I wouldn't wanna roll up next to an 87 Buick with it.." :p

had many magnum motor vehicles pick up and grand cherokee with paxton etc. mileage sucked ass, had few friends that bought hemi motored mopar trucks and traded back in for as said mileage was worse than my regular magnum vehicles

My friend ran his silver Dodge Magnum R/T last october just for fun to see what it would do, and went 14.02... not bad for a big everyday driver! He was really pleased!...
Claude :)

P.S: Personally, I prefer the look of the 300C, but it's just my personal taste...:)
'bye!

I looked at one also and am considering one myself. I have researched them quite a bit and here is my conclusion.

First - Dismiss the mileage critisism above. Truck mileage has nothing to do with mileage in the Magnum. The Magnum will bet mid-low 20 MPG on the highway.

Second - The quality of the Magnum is first rate and arguably better than GM and Ford right now. Long term tests by magazines are reporting no troubles.

Third - the aftermarket is kicking in on Hemi engines and the fact that the car pulls a low 14 at over 4,000 lbs says alot about that motor.

My only complaint is you cannot get the Viper 6-speed in one, but that might not be an issue for you.

Go for it - it's a great car.

Originally posted by lieu910
I looked at one also and am considering one myself. I have researched them quite a bit and here is my conclusion.

First - Dismiss the mileage critisism above. Truck mileage has nothing to do with mileage in the Magnum. The Magnum will bet mid-low 20 MPG on the highway.

Second - The quality of the Magnum is first rate and arguably better than GM and Ford right now. Long term tests by magazines are reporting no troubles.

Third - the aftermarket is kicking in on Hemi engines and the fact that the car pulls a low 14 at over 4,000 lbs says alot about that motor.

My only complaint is you cannot get the Viper 6-speed in one, but that might not be an issue for you.

Go for it - it's a great car.

first--bs
second--BS
third--total BS!!!!.

one of my best friends is a dealer/owner--he disagrees with all this!!!!The interior looks like it was designed by a 4 yr. old:rolleyes:

The 300 is a different story.

my wife and i went to look at one to replace her 02 325----we left laughing.I don't think bmw's fit and finish is anything special---but her car looked superior in every aspect to this car----just simply not impressed---or i'd have one

Geoff

Originally posted by ghall
first--bs
second--BS
third--total BS!!!!.

one of my best friends is a dealer/owner--he disagrees with all this!!!!The interior looks like it was designed by a 4 yr. old:rolleyes:

The 300 is a different story.

my wife and i went to look at one to replace her 02 325----we left laughing.I don't think bmw's fit and finish is anything special---but her car looked superior in every aspect to this car----just simply not impressed---or i'd have one

Geoff

Geoff,

You're entitled to your opinion, but what's the hostility towards me for?

I won't argue your opinion - don't buy one. However, the majority of reports and tests on the car are very positive, which was what I was basing my reply on - not just my opinion. Just curious how is my third point "total B.S? The car runs low 14's and the aftermarket for the Hemi is gearing up and it's a heavy car. What's the total B.S. - maybe I'm missing something - let me know.

I'm not sure how blasting me is useful to this board member looking for some good information.

Lighten up - life is too short and nobody on the board enjoys being told they're quoting facts to help a board member and be told it's B.S. :)

I have to dissagree with the negative opinions about the Magnum. It's the same freaking interior as the 300c except for the faux woodgrain (which you can get btw if you want). In fact, its the same car besides the body. So how can the 300c be a different story?
The Magnum RT and 300c both have cylinder deactivation on the highway that gets mid20s in gas mileage. Maybe you're confusing the "magnum" name with the old Magnum series of V8s and not the new "HEMI"
I took one on a long term test, but decided to wait to buy a used one instead of taking the new car plunge.

If you can afford it, wait for the SRT. :D

yup, vision is obscured, but there is a backup system if you want to order it. I guess Dodge thought if visibility is your top concern it probably isn't the right car anyways.

Originally posted by kalifornia87
What about the visibility out the back. It looks like your vision is obstructed...

Amen brother. I won't take anyhting away from the car, but like bishir I couldn't justify a new one, since they're going for sticker, and in some cases MORE. I found a sweet deal on a used one. Cargo setup, with racks, heated seats, moonroof, and that DAMN fine soundsystem. It had 4800 miles, although the tires swore it was more like 20k. I got them down to $27.9k. Looking at Autotrader, that's a good price and I know this is a hot car. I pawed it over and took her out on the road. And here is my take.

Car feels like a Benz. It is SOLID, around corners it is balanced very well, very tight. The doors shut DRUM tight and despite the mighty motor and nice sounding exhaust, it is a really quiet ride inside. Allowing one to exploit that EXCELLENT stereo. The brakes are SICK, I was surprised on such a big vehicle wearing the Dodge name. And acceleration, forget about it. I'm not too worried that one with light mods will give the GN a problem, but hey, that bar is pretty high :p

I went thru the driver information stuff when I got in. It was reading 7.8 mpg average. Now I know people don't drive this thing kindly on test drives, but that was scary. And I'm not buying it to get 30+ mpg, that is for sure! But still, commuting on back roads, and after reading many reviews, I know I wouldn't come CLOSE to that 20mpg claimed in a city-highway cycle. I would be in all eight cylinders for the most part, and even light driving I could be looking at 17mpg.

The BACK is what got me. It has a large floor area, but the way the roof comes down, there is very little room back there for larger items I felt. I have two pitbulls, and for them to chill in the car the back seats would have to be down. They are just too tall to sit happily in the back, they'd clambor over the seats, obscuring what little vision is offered in that car. ONTO the leather, no less. For carrying my smoker, or much else that stood up high, forget it. The cargo area is LOW by way of sculpting the back to look slippery, this is no mid 90s Volvo.

And the visibility was horrible. the back seats come within a few inches of the roof, and the way it tapers down after that, with the big metal post between the C and D pillars, looking over into the right lane, out the back, was troublesome at best. But of course with that Hemi, not much is gonna be hanging out there in your blind spot if you're just coming off throttle. But envisioning carrying large items, this is no SUV. The Saturn Vue is 20" shorter and feels like it has more room. Pair that with the LARGE rearview mirror with all the controls that seemed to sit right in the middle of my field of view, I was honestly unnerved driving the car. Now that WOULD get better with time, I'm sure, but it was as bad as I've seen in a car, and I've driven 20' long mid 70s GM boats a lot of my life.

So despite the awesome performance, the car did not meet my carrying needs. Other than that it is a great vehicle and I feel proud knowing that an American make can build a car that feels like a vault, and can absolutely massacre any european wagon on the road, regardless of price. If they didn't do so much with the styling, and in turn KILL the rear cargo capability, it would be in my garage.

Thank you all very much for the information, and if anybody wants a Hemi Magnum and a trip to the best skiing on the East Coast, let me know. They wanna move the car and as best as I can tell, this thing is about $2k lower than what comparable rigs are going for on EBay and the like. Take care all!

Got mine in Sept. Very happy with it. I get 22mpg on the hiway at 70-75 mph. And ya,it's got a Hemi.

Originally posted by lieu910
Geoff,

You're entitled to your opinion, but what's the hostility towards me for?

I won't argue your opinion - don't buy one. However, the majority of reports and tests on the car are very positive, which was what I was basing my reply on - not just my opinion. Just curious how is my third point "total B.S? The car runs low 14's and the aftermarket for the Hemi is gearing up and it's a heavy car. What's the total B.S. - maybe I'm missing something - let me know.

I'm not sure how blasting me is useful to this board member looking for some good information.

Lighten up - life is too short and nobody on the board enjoys being told they're quoting facts to help a board member and be told it's B.S. :)

HAHA--i promise --no hostility towards you---i was simply stating an opinion.I promise i am the last person that needs to lighten up---if you ever met me--you would agree!!!

I will stand by opinion of the interior----it is generic and poor generic at that!---as i stated--i went there with the intention of purchasing the car from my buddy(dealer/GM)---so well below msrp---there was NOTHING impressive about it.Other people might find something different---i have owned almost 50 cars in my life---this would be very low on my list.

Geoff

Originally posted by ghall
HAHA--i promise --no hostility towards you---i was simply stating an opinion.I promise i am the last person that needs to lighten up---if you ever met me--you would agree!!!

I will stand by opinion of the interior----it is generic and poor generic at that!---as i stated--i went there with the intention of purchasing the car from my buddy(dealer/GM)---so well below msrp---there was NOTHING impressive about it.Other people might find something different---i have owned almost 50 cars in my life---this would be very low on my list.

Geoff

No hard feelings here either Geoff, thanks for the reply. It's interesting that your opinions on the Magnum are so contrary. I would really disagree, but hey that's why we don't all drive the same car.

I've owned a ton of cars too and the Magnum really impresses me. It's everything I wish my 96 Impala SS was.

Judging by how extremely well Magnums and 300's are selling, I think DC is content not pleasing all the people.

Maybe the 6.1 Magnum for me next year.

;)

I drove one on an autocross course - not really what it was designed for but fun anyway.

There is no getting around the fact that it is a HEAVY car. Lots of understeer.

The only other thing is that you can't totally shut the stability control off. You can flip the switch but if you get it really sideways the system will kick in.

Again, an autocross is probablly the worst place to judge this vehicle. I'm sure it would rock on the highway.

It is way better than an SUV/Minivan!

I have owned a magnum rt for about 7 months and I am very pleased with the car. I have owned and can own most any car I want too. I have taken several long trips in the car and can average 24.5 mpg at 80 mph on the highway using the cruise control. The car is firm riding and is very peppy with the hemi. I have owned a viper for several years and if you want attention this car will get it for you. Plenty of thumbs up from people and many questions about the car. As for the interiour being cheap well that comment would have to come from someone who thinks bmw is the answer? Dont park your bmw next to the magnum as they will sit on the bmw to look at the magnum rt. The other models need a better tire wheel combo to look decent I put a set of 300c tire and wheels on my rt and it helped the looks a lot

Originally posted by rtviper
As for the interiour being cheap well that comment would have to come from someone who thinks bmw is the answer? Dont park your bmw next to the magnum as they will sit on the bmw to look at the magnum rt.

:D I got a good laugh out of that line. I thought the interior of the car was exceptionally well done, the seats could use a little more bolstering, but I'm a scrawny guy. They were firm and VERY comfortable. The doors shut like a bank vault, and there wasn't the "sea of plastic" look that a lot of the GMs nowadays have. The moonroof operation was very smooth and quiet. I was expecting a LOT of quality to be skimed on, because how else are they gonna get you a car like that for $30k. But the interior quality seemed very tight.

The two things that got me were room with the back seats up, and pretty ad visibility IMHO. However those are things I think I could adjust to, and it's still the leader in the "new car" race. I have to test a Volvo V70R wagon, but they're gonna be more expensive for sure. I'll keep you all posted, thanks.

all I have to say about the hemi magnum is what a POS!
I just bumped it off with 1 yesterday morning, the guy was in 1 he thought he was 1 bad mofo. well I'll tell you what I took him by 2 1/2 - 3 truck lenths up to 100 mph, yes I said "truck" lenths. I was in my 8,900# 03 6.0 powerstroke,crew cab, 4x4, wich it was only in stage 2 (tow mode) on the superchips tuner. how embarassing is that when you get beat by a diesel 4x4 p/u with oversize tires! I don't want to hear no "he wasen't trying", I was there you should have seen the look on his face.:cool: so go ahead & buy one but don't buy 1 if you think your getting performance.;)