Another GN Converted.

You may want to rethink your pump mounting.
The A1000's will not last if they are not below the fuel level. They are not siphoning pumps and will die on you.
That is the number 1 killer of these pumps and what gives them the bad name is in proper mounting.
Don't ask how I know.

Nice build also

You could be somewhat right. I searched around a little and found a lengthily post from an employee of Aeromotive who contradicted this though. He said the pumps are more than capable of sucking and pushing you just have to have an extremely unrestricted system. I got under there and looked at a few different ways I can lower the position of the pump. I'm going to leave it until the project is finished and speak with Aeromotive. The fact is, I may have to change it all to -10 and -8 return regardless so than I'll redo everything.

Well, I speak for experience. I have gone through two of them because of the way the previous owner mounted it. And he tried to get it low but it wasn't low enough.
image.jpg

All I know is they are making money of rebuilding them.

Awesome build! Very informative! I too will be swapping in a 5.3l when my v6 goes out in my mustang. Going to cheap out on either factory pcm for tuning or go possibly the sloppy mechanic route.

Well, I speak for experience. I have gone through two of them because of the way the previous owner mounted it. And he tried to get it low but it wasn't low enough. View attachment 247334

I mean this in the most respectful way, but that looks absolutely terrible! I would rather have the pump fail than have that mounted like that. For the record, this pump has been mounted since 2007 like this.

Awesome build! Very informative! I too will be swapping in a 5.3l when my v6 goes out in my mustang. Going to cheap out on either factory pcm for tuning or go possibly the sloppy mechanic route.

I kind of wish I went a cheaper route with the computer and harness. To be perfectly honest I was just being lazy and wanted everything to be plug and play because of a lack of time to do this. Plus i'm already used to Aftermarket ECU's and I want to have more options when it comes time to have the car tuned.

Luckily I'm fairly close to a very reputable ls tuner. For me the availability of performance parts for the v6 platform is diminishing and the ls is gaining even more ground since the turbo article in gm high-tech.

My pump is in the same place as yours up above the rear end. I wouldn't want people to see the pump by the bumper either

Well, I speak for experience. I have gone through two of them because of the way the previous owner mounted it. And he tried to get it low but it wasn't low enough. View attachment 247334

Also, your situation is different than mine because you have your fuel coming from a sump that's a foot below the bumper. Mine pulls fuel from the hat that's a foot above it.

I mean this in the most respectful way, but that looks absolutely terrible! I would rather have the pump fail than have that mounted like that. For the record, this pump has been mounted since 2007 like this.
I know I hated it too. That's why I moved it and know problem since.

Also, your situation is different than mine because you have your fuel coming from a sump that's a foot below the bumper. Mine pulls fuel from the hat that's a foot above it.
That's why I see it as a problem. Mine is feed by fuel as long as it had 1/4 of a tank or more. Yours has to suck it up to get it to the pump no matter how much fuel you have, and they are not meant to do that.
It was just a suggestion. I you haven't had any issues then great. I just was giving food for thought. I believe there is a big post on the Bullet on this also.

FYI mine is now mounted in front of the tank but is slightly below the fuel level of the tank

I stopped by over the weekend to put the transmission in. I had a hell of a time getting the converter to seat. The big 10.5 core weighs around 40+ lbs so it eventually wore me out. I brought it into work where we build racing converters and transmissions. I put a 4L80E pump into it and it went right in with no issues. I decided that instead of lugging this big ass converter back over and trying again I am going to build another converter that I think will be much more responsive than this core. So out with the 265mm Northstar and in with the 245mm 3800 stall. Note the billet oversized lock up piston with high pressure carbon lining. I believe 60ft's will be just right with this. Should have it done tomorrow and than the trans can go in.

Here's the Hooker Transmission Crossmember for the swap. You can see the cantilever bracket sitting on it for the 4L80E specific fit. The mount is the generic poly one that came with the energy suspension engine mounts so i'm not exactly sure if that will work yet.

I may have posted these already but this is the black braided Lokar throttle cable for the LS swap. I hope to squeeze this into the project before the deadline of 3/25 when I lose the shop its in. I have the matching flexible trans dip stick for the 80E.

The converter is done and the trans and converter are in the car. I'm having some trouble getting the hooker trans crossmember to line up right for the bushing. It seems to be all out of wack.

Great project.
I have a t76 turbonetics turbo on my 2010 ss camaro. Since I added the turbo I've wanted to convert everything I see to a ls with a turbo.
Hope to add a 2007 and up lq9 to my 69 camaro one day.
Best of luck looking foward to seeing it done.

I was able to get the converter in along with the transmission. After digging around in the box and finding the instructions I was able to use them to correct all the things I did wrong with the crossmember. Now that I have it all right and lines up I have to find a different mount because the Energy Suspension one is about 1/2 to tall to fit this application.

Next thing on the list is getting a driveshaft made.

I kind of wish I went a cheaper route with the computer and harness. To be perfectly honest I was just being lazy and wanted everything to be plug and play because of a lack of time to do this. .

Nice build. Did you purchase the transmission harness separate and does it have factory connectors on the ECM side? I looked on the Holley web site and didn't see it..

It has factory connectors on the transmission side. Input and output sensors and something else. On the computer side it's a bulkhead that plugs into the Holley ECU. The cable is only like $160.