...and then there was GNX #548

As an avid owner of many Turbo Regals, a TTA and a Typhoon over the past 23 years I'm interested in the straight scoop. Not some fictitious account of a car that doesn't exist in ASC/McLaren or Buick's official records as a bona-fide GNX. If this offends people so be it. Be proud of what you make with your own two hands, but it is what it is and it's NOT what it's not.

I encourage people to spend their money to make GNX clones, it helps our economy. But they're CLONES and always will be. I was recently reading about prototype GNX #000. Now is that a REAL GNX? It was the prototype test car that was used, abused and given to the head of production of ASC/McLaren as a gift by GM. I say NO it's not, it was a prototype, not in the registry, not recognized by either ASC or Buick as a GNX but is a "one-off" and a very valuable car. This information is readily available on the GNX Registry site at www.gnxregistry.org.

Here's another example. When I had my TTA#1233 there were officially 1550 built available to the public. However there were 5 test cars 3 of which were not white. All were crushed except two. I have the photo of the maroon test TTA which is currently in private hands, now is that an official 20th Anniversary Pontiac Trans Am Pace Car......answer: NO. GM does identify 1555 built but puts an * by the five test cars and aren't included in the official "for sale" manufactured vehicles. PAS (who built the cars) confirms these numbers as well, there's no secrets here. If you want to take a 1989 white Trans Am, badge it up and put the proper LC2 motor in it, put "OFFICIAL PACE CAR" on the doors is it now an authentic 1 of 1550 TTA made.....hell no.

Back to the GNX, my opinion is www.gnxregistry.org is the "end all, be all" of ALL official GNXs produced.

Tta1.jpg
Tta6.jpg
Tta2.jpg

Well put. Although, in my personal opinion in which I realize I may face oppisition (and respect others right to disagree), undocumented cars such as the Turbo T/A's and GNX's below and beyond the numbers still hold a significant place in the history of GM performance cars. These weren't "badged up on a beer-drinkin' Saturday night in my friend's garage" cars, they were more official and have ties to General Motors even though not properly documented. If documentation is the ultimate determining factor, then certainly these cars will have limited monetary value. However, people will still desire and respect them no less than a documented car given their history. They're either worth a million dollars or one dollar, but have a "cool factor" that's off the charts.

Its off to body shop will get some updates soon

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Built by GM and finished of by ASC. Isn't that the path the other 547 took?
Its a real GNX end of story.
NOW If i owned a GNX id be saying Its NOT a REAL GNX because of XYZ.

BTW great job on the car keep it up

I have a simple question. Is it ONE of the 547 that GM and ASC/McLaren state were officially produced?

I have a simple question. Is it ONE of the 547 that GM and ASC/McLaren state were officially produced?
obviously it isn't BUT by the above birth description of how it came to be (assuming its accurate) I consider it to be the real deal made the "real" process at the "real" location by the "real" people using the "real" parts that made the other real 547 GNX.
to each its own.
I put this on the salvage title no damage only broken key cylinder car is now worthless dumb shit that comes up from time to time.

Thanks a lot for a good comment I will

there were 547 RECOGNIZED GNX's, all others are/ were prototypes, or sneak thru,
and NOT official GNX's PERIOD! (duh,maybe thats why their NOT NUMBERED)
you can call em what you want, but Buick only made 547 gnx's

Who's got 547?
that one should feel the most valuable as it's the most mentioned gnx number

there were 547 RECOGNIZED GNX's, all others are/ were prototypes, or sneak thru,
and NOT official GNX's PERIOD! (duh,maybe thats why their NOT NUMBERED)
you can call em what you want, but Buick only made 547 gnx's
It is numbered with asc numbers just like all the others but I care not what u or any one else think it still bad ass on my book :cool:

Who's got 547?
that one should feel the most valuable as it's the most mentioned gnx number

Not sure rick may know were it is as lots of x owners

547 is in New Jersey

Btw sometimes the story is bigger than the car, such as X-ray car being it was a t type regal amd morphed into a Gnx from the beginning, as too is the case for 548,
If the story is well documented then it's worthy calling it a Gnx
Should X-ray car not be worth anything ?
548 is history if it can proven and documented its part of the family

548 is a clone!
always will be a clone, nothing will change that.
the number 548 was NEVER an official recognized number,
so..........CLONE!
say all you want, doesn't change the FACTS

548 is a clone!
always will be a clone, nothing will change that.
the number 548 was NEVER an official recognized number,
so..........CLONE!
say all you want, doesn't change the FACTS[/quote:eek: yah yah I love it

I agree 548 and X-ray car are indeed clones, not recongnized as one of the 547
But doesn't it count as a grand national with real Gnx components assembled by the same people who assembled the 547? I, not saying its worth as much as a real Gnx but what's it worth?
What's a real good clone worth..
And what's the value in that ?
Your thoughts?

548 is not a clone it was built like every other gnx was built at the time that they were built by the same people that built them.

Like I said before if I owned a $$$$$$$$ GNX i'd be right with you guys.

548 is not a clone it was built like every other gnx was built at the time that they were built by the same people that built them.

:D;):eek::cool: thanks

How in the HELL can anyone contend GNX "548" is NOT a clone? GM doesn't recognize it, ASC/McLaren doesn't recognize (nor do they either recognize the X-Ray Clone) and neither are in the GNx registry? Are we in Alice in Wonderland?? That'd be like me saying I have a GN because it went down the same assembly line as the rest, was assembled by the same people, using original parts and it came off the line LOOKING like a GN. Funny thing is it's not recognized as a GN by General Motors and WILL NOT be counted as a real GN, in fact it wouldn't even be VIN'd as a GN, no different than someone doing the same thing to a non-GNX like #548. If someone tries to VIN #548 as a bona-fide GNX they're committing fraud on two levels....federal and state. So, if it's not VIN'd as a genuine GNX it's NOT a GNX. I'm sorry but the truth hurts.