And so it begins.... (lsx content)

Here are some pictures of progress:

Tore the a/c box and inner fender out. I'm thinking of leaving the inner fenders out because i've always liked the look. I was able to remove everything without breaking anything. Saving every last nut and bolt just in case.
2012-05-07_21-44-11_552.jpg

Should have my rod bolts tomorrow. Going to regap the top rings in this junkyard engine.
2012-05-07_19-19-58_953.jpg

Picked up some 241 heads for cheap today. Just going to put them on untouched.
2012-05-07_21-53-53_824.jpg

Sounds good i just called my body guy this morning and stopped it tonight he already welded in the A/C delete plate and had a coat of glass on it not playing around! I found a guy on the LS forum that is will to build the headers and piping without the car just need a ton of measurements and pics his work looks to notch and his price is supposed to be very reasonable to boot!
Chris

Sounds good i just called my body guy this morning and stopped it tonight he already welded in the A/C delete plate and had a coat of glass on it not playing around! I found a guy on the LS forum that is will to build the headers and piping without the car just need a ton of measurements and pics his work looks to notch and his price is supposed to be very reasonable to boot!
Chris
nice! A friend and myself will do the turbo system. Hope to.start here soon.

Got a bunch of parts today. Got started on the ring gap. I gapped the top ring to .030. Also added arp 2000 bolts. I didn't resize the rods like some do....I have friends that haven't done it and they still run good. Also got my intake:)
ring.jpg
intake.jpg

Wow, You are making some very good progress in a very short period of time. I personally can't wait to see the end results. Keep up the great work and documentation too. I may have to follow in your foot steps early next year when I get back from deployment. Hope to see you running 9's reliably all day long when everything is said and done.

Raymond

Are you pretty sure that intake and elbow/tb are going to fit under the hood? That intake is a lot lower than I thought it would be, you might get it to work!

Are you pretty sure that intake and elbow/tb are going to fit under the hood? That intake is a lot lower than I thought it would be, you might get it to work!
I haven't bought an elbow yet. I'm waiting to get the engine set in the car to see what clearance I got.

Got some more things done tonight. Finished the short block gapping the rings to .030 and installing the arp rod bolts. Got my head gaskets. Going with the GM MLS gasket. Also got my free ls1 cam in. Almost scored an ls6 cam but missed out. Heads will go after I get the yellow ls6 springs on.

Here's a couple pics. The GM gasket looks like a cometic gasket. Picked up a th400 shell today from Lonnie @ extremeautomatics for mock up purposes....a lot lighter than a complete 400 that's for sure. My BRP motor mounts should be here by Monday I hope.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120509_235156.png
    ForumRunner_20120509_235156.png
    282.5 KB · Views: 158
  • ForumRunner_20120509_235145.png
    ForumRunner_20120509_235145.png
    349 KB · Views: 164
I'm sure a standard elbow on top of the intake will fit no problems. My SB2.2 intake was alot taller than that LS intake and it fit under the glass Hartline hood.

With a standard elbow? I wonder if I should have got the super victor instead.

Yep. I had the standard 90* elbow on top of the manifold. I'd try your lower profile intake to make sure. My SB2.2 manifold was actually taller than my current 9.8 deck BBC with a super victor. But Hartlines glass hood gives you an extra 2-3" of clearance because you can trim the support and utilize the bulge in the hood. If you have clearance issues with a stock hood using Cal's hood is a nice option.

Got my BRP motor mounts. I got the solid ones.
My plan to get the engine in the car this weekend fell through do to some family plans.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120511_161444.png
    ForumRunner_20120511_161444.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 138
Thanks i did not know if they sold them without the kit. Any idea how they place the motor 1" back? higher than other mounts?
Chris

The sbc mounts and adapter plates they sell on ebay (1" setback) will get you in the right position for the trans, but they sit pretty low. You could cut and fab the solid mounts to where they extended higher. I think his BRP mounts place the motor 1 inch or so forward so the trans will have to be moved forward also. I haven't tried it myself, that's just from my foggy memory.

I plan on sitting the engine back and will weld/drill new holes as needed. I will post what I do.

I seems having it low and back 1" seems to be what most guys do but i think the BRP mounts sit the motor a litte higher and forward because they claim you can clear the a/c comp. without notching the frame. I'm just not a fan of solid mounts on a mostly street driven car.