And so it begins.... (lsx content)

KevinB

Well, I once was a LSX hater.....and now I find myself going that route. Funny how that works.
I was wanting to go faster, but not on a big budget. Didn't want some hobbled up used junk either. If I went stage 2, that's what I would have. I know the 109 has been in the 8's, but I didn't want a grenade with the pin pulled. I know my 109 is capable of low 9's, but I really don't feel safe taking it there. That's where I decided to go LSX. A stock block that can go 1000+ hp, a stock crank that can go 1000 hp, stock heads that out flow $2000 aftermarket Buick heads....it's a no brainer.
Plan is:
stock crank
wiseco pistons
k1 rods
317 heads with a mild port job
cam??
headers??
powered by my gen7 dfi
88mm turbo
96lb injectors for now
still in the air about intake
th400

I can't wait. Hopefully my v6 sells here soon so I have a budget to work with.
Goal is to have a 100% streetable and reliable car on e85 that will run 8.99 on a tight budget....and will do it for years without pulling it apart.

Here's a few pics...

Everything in the back here was $850 with a ton of extras. One complete 5.3, 2 blocks with cranks (cranks just need a polish too.) I got the two blocks and cranks and wiring harness and truck manifolds, My friend Tom got the complete engine possibly for his GN.
2012-04-21_16-28-35_111.jpg

Getting ready to disassemble this one then send it to BES (Bischoff Engine Service) up the street for the machine work. They have done some nice stuff with these engines, including a NA LSX in a 2010 Camaro that runs bottom 8's.
2012-04-21_20-35-39_745.jpg

That is all for now. Stayed tuned for how it comes together. I will try to keep a total amount spent for others trying to do this conversion.

BTW...what motor mounts are the best?

The cheapest header is to flip those manifolds upside down. We cut the flanges off the exhaust of a truck and welded 2.5 tubing to it so it could bolt directly to the manifold. Others are welding v-band flanges on the stock manifolds or you can buy the stainless headers from stainless works.

The good news is your current converter should work well with the motor. These junkyard builds are getting very popular. Two 6.0's have been mid 8's at 3000#. Since your doing some nice mods to the engine you won't have any issue running 8's.

Thanks Dusty! I was going to get with you about the ptc. It works great for the v6, was wondering about it for the v8. I am switching to a th400. I guess you guys can respline these? Thanks!

I forgot you had the 2oor. Best thing to do is sell what you have and buy another. Half the converter has to be changed so it's usually cheaper to sell yours rather than paying to rebuild half of the converter.

I am using solid Moroso SBC mounts and the 1" setback adapter plates. Puts the motor in the stock position. I have a 6.0 and I'll be doing a smaller turbo and making less hp than you (street car) but I wanted some strong mounts that I didn't have to worry about destroying. Using those mounts (I cut about .25 inches off them and welded) I got the truck intake, alternator, and power steering pump all to clear. I have a slight clearance issue with the oil pan (also truck) hitting the steering linkage. Other than that, it fits great.

I cut off the truck manifold flanges and I'll weld a curved 2.5" pipe to each of them, then do v bands, crossover, mount turbo on the pass side, etc. I bought EFI live to tune it. Never used it before but I hear it's good.

Thanks for the ideas!
Jegs has the passenger car swap oil pans for $150. That's what I plan to use. Comes with windage tray and dip stick.

I'm gathering parts now. Not having luck selling the v6 right now. Going to beat the v6 until it breaks, then pull it and start this project. We will see how fast I can go. Should be a fun summer not caring lol

If you are refering to the GM swap pan from jegs, it may be to low depending on final engine position. I used the Holley pan(more expensive) on my buds car and it ended up much higher than the bottom of the crossmember. On his car the GM pan would have worked due to the final position for ac clearance.

FYI we have a S2 motor we cant sell either.LOL

Thanks Louie.
I heard the h2 or was it the h3 pan works too. I sall those holley units in jegs also. What mounts did you use?
The headers are my biggest obstacle in this project. So many different ways to do it.

You would think a proven 9 second engine would sell quickly at $5k lol

Kevin
Congrats on a wise decision going with the LSX. I went with the BRP mounts had to drill a few holes is the crossmember to mate up with my existing th400 location. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

I had to give away my stage stuff, the LSX is killing the Buick V6 prices

Will do Dave. Right now my biggest questions are on the long block. Getting mixed answers about the compression to use, what factory heads to use etc. I plan on a short block with stock crank and forged pistons and rods. No idea who makes the best cam for my setup or if I can get a custom grind. Been thinking of doing a single gt4788 or equivalent. Not sure how streetable it is....lag I could careless about. I still have a little blue bottle setup in my garage that can help that lol.

For now, I am wanting this v6 to go down the road. I will keep going to the track with it until it sells or breaks. As soon as it is sold, it is out of there. Then I will put my spare block together as a mock up to get started. May try to do a custom set of headers with a friend. I have some truck manifolds and I know they work but I kind of want the bling of custom ss headers lol. My neighbor is a tig welder by trade, so the welds will be nice looking.

you may want to rethink the 317 heads,you say 100% streetable....well most on ls1tech highly regret going with 317heads since its a dog out of boost,so if your one of them states that can carry a hand gun,,,you might just shoot yourself while driving...please research the heads...

Am running 317 heads on my car and they said 317 is the same as 243 heads which came in the Z06, but am not boosting but shooting 200, Kevin I have the other set of Mike Bamford Headers if you interested, make your life and your neighbor alittle easier :). Since I bought my car with the 6.0 and shooting 200 shot ,am neglecting the GN :D.

Bandaid, I am starting to read that. That's why I'm throwing my combo up everywhere. I appreciate the feed back.

Boostdenutz...sent a conversation/pm your way;)

Kevin, we had to make custom frame mounts and used camaro engine mounts. The reason was the darn AC. My friend wanted to use the entire Cadillac accessory drive with AC which did not allow us to use any of the mount kits he bought. The pass side slider mount got into the back AC compressor. I had to notch the frame behind the compressor too.

A no AC swap should be a breeze unless you use the high mount aftermarket denso compressor.

If you use the GMPP pan you can pick em up at your local stealer for around $115, it come with everything even gasket and bolts for the pan, I also have this setup that you use 2000 Camaro engine mounts if you interested .

Attachments

• Resampled_2011-10-26_21-09-44_222[1].jpg
    Resampled_2011-10-26_21-09-44_222[1].jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Resampled_2011-10-26_21-08-47_292[1].jpg
    Resampled_2011-10-26_21-08-47_292[1].jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Resampled_2011-10-28_17-10-35_580[1].jpg
    Resampled_2011-10-28_17-10-35_580[1].jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 255
Lenny, how much for those mounts, LOL!

BTW I got the EFI live package in, everything looks great, you are an awesome guy to buy from.

Kevin you might want to look at pics of the dimensions for LS pans before you buy. No matter what pan you use, it's gonna be close to hitting something!

dim_oil_pan_ls1_camaro-910x882.jpg

fbody pan

dim_oil_pan_02-06_truck-900x800.jpg

truck pan

I hear the CTS-V pan works really well with most mounts.

I pay $150 for it , I also have 2 body pan if you need one, am glad you got it cuz I didn't buy insurance for it LOL,