And boom goes the dynamite. 2nd motor down

Onalky87

This past week my $5000 fully forged motor melted the #1 piston and u can see the #3 was getting hot. 90% my fault 10% the fuel pump. I tore the motor apart and will post pix tomorrow. Bison said he will rebuild for me but not for a Lil while as he is busy. I feel sick to my stomach and havnt gotten much sleep the last week and can barely eat. So now I'm $40g into a car I'm only put 1000 miles on

What happened was I was racing a buddy and over revved 3rd then shifted into 4th after hitting the limiter and kept going. Idk what I was thinking. Totally stupid and it's my fault. Was a cool night and I added fuel and took Alky but didn't add enough fuel clearly. Melted the piston. Ruined the bearings from metal and gouged Cly wall a little. Hopefully not past the point of honing as the block is already .20 or .30 over and that mean new block and 6 pistons instead of 1-2

So note to self. BUY A TACH and LEARN TO LET OFF before 150mph

So please leave neg comments to yourself as I already feel horrible and I know it was operator error :frown:

Wow, that was really hard to read.
I am really sorry for your luck.
My 109 in Super Junk was cursed, but I would hi-jack your thread with
my bad luck...

I am glad you have Brian on your side, he will get you on the right track.

I am glad you have Brian on your side, he will get you on the right track.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, him and Otto are the only reason I still have this car. There my knights in shining armor. Well maybe instead of armor and swords an oil covered shirt and a torque wrench;)

sorry for your bad luck. did you win?

That's partly why I'm so upset with myself. Bc I was so much faster I had no business staying in it that long. It was a 440whp 300zx twin turbo 5 speed. I toyed with him n let him get out about 10-15 cars and then around 80 I matted it. And came by him hard at 130 Well he said he was doing 130 and I passed like he was standing still

With all due respect you dont need to upgrade the fuel pump, you need to get the car tuned correctly.

The car was dyno tuned. But on a 90* day. Nd I didn't add enough fuel to compensate for the pulled Alky on that 67* night with good air

Plus I've been down that over revving did not help at all sense pump couldnt keep up

Here's what happened.................

You hit the rev limiter with alcohol. NEVER use a rev limiter in a chip if you use alcohol. EVER!!!! The ECM rev limiter shuts the fuel off, but not the alcohol. So at rev limit, the alcohol is the only fuel entering the engine and it WILL melt alot of parts. Have your chip burned with no rev limiter function or you will melt your engine down again. With a forged rotating assembly you can twist it to 7500 no problem so no need for a rev limiter at all. Use a Bob Bailey two step for your rev limiter function, as it shuts the spark off, not the fuel. Bailey Engineering 2-Step Support Page His box would have saved your engine. Best next buy for you.:smile:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Been there done that with many engines over the last few years. Just lost a StageII 274" engine due to fueling issues with a hose popping off inside the tank. 10.03 @ 134 with only 50 psi fuel pressure is a problem. :eek: I'll post in another thread what happened.

I've seen a broken block due to rev limiter and alcohol before. If you only burned a piston consider yourself lucky.

Thank you for all that info as I had no ideA the fuel is what was being cut although it makes total sense Il send my chip to Eric

Here's what happened.................

You hit the rev limiter with alcohol. NEVER use a rev limiter in a chip if you use alcohol. EVER!!!! The ECM rev limiter shuts the fuel off, but not the alcohol. So at rev limit, the alcohol is the only fuel entering the engine and it WILL melt alot of parts. Have your chip burned with no rev limiter function or you will melt your engine down again. With a forged rotating assembly you can twist it to 7500 no problem so no need for a rev limiter at all. Use a Bob Bailey two step for your rev limiter function, as it shuts the spark off, not the fuel. Bailey Engineering 2-Step Support Page His box would have saved your engine. Best next buy for you.:smile:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Been there done that with many engines over the last few years. Just lost a StageII 274" engine due to fueling issues with a hose popping off inside the tank. 10.03 @ 134 with only 50 psi fuel pressure is a problem. :eek: I'll post in another thread what happened.

I've seen a broken block due to rev limiter and alcohol before. If you only burned a piston consider yourself lucky.

Do I need to send you my lucky rabbits foot Fred.:biggrin:

You've had some bad luck this year for sure. Now that Ken's told us what happened you can take care of the issue so you can get the car running right and go out and break some ones heart on the track.:smile:

I can't wait for that!! Honda boys around here r talking so much shyt Bc his civic went 10.9 And sense my cars down we have noone that can best him. He's talking $2-300 too. But it looks like it'll have to wait till next yr :(

I wonder if this problem could have been avoided if you were running an XFI? Would it have made the fuel correction to overcome the over rev?