Aluminum fabbed valve covers

Personnally, I'd rather have some good one piece, notched corners, roller rocker clearing fabbed valve covers. :wink: That gimmicky "two piece" idea is just an invitation to some oil leaks...:frown: Besides, who really needs to have two piece covers?...With these cars, you don't remove the covers to readjust the valves after each run like on some race cars, so why bother with two piece unless it's an absolute need? :rolleyes: I prefer KEEPING IT SIMPLE.

Claude. :smile:

Some people want to run a solid roller or solid flat tappet cam. There will ALWAYS be advantages to doing so. The biggest disadvantage to doing so, is getting the valve covers off to check lash. Far as I know, there are no two piece covers on the market. Building them two piece would introduce a new product to the market, that gives people a reason to pick THAT set of valve covers. There are several sets of aftermarket one piece covers out there already. I'm sure some have issues and others may not, I've never researched them. But a properly engineered o ring seal won't leak. It WILL add to the cost but at the same time be a home run to those who would REALLY like two piece covers. I can and will run rjc spacers with felpro permadry plus gaskets before I spend a bunch of money on a product that just looks pretty and doesn't gain me anything. My polished stockers look fine to me.

NOT trying to flame you on this, rather trying to enlighten you as to why some here are drooling over two piece valve covers. You want me to spend $200+ on valve covers? Make them so that they gain me something. Sounds like a moot point anyway, as the project is DOA and not going anywhere.

bob :)

Some people want to run a solid roller or solid flat tappet cam. There will ALWAYS be advantages to doing so. The biggest disadvantage to doing so, is getting the valve covers off to check lash. Far as I know, there are no two piece covers on the market. Building them two piece would introduce a new product to the market, that gives people a reason to pick THAT set of valve covers. There are several sets of aftermarket one piece covers out there already. I'm sure some have issues and others may not, I've never researched them. But a properly engineered o ring seal won't leak. It WILL add to the cost but at the same time be a home run to those who would REALLY like two piece covers. I can and will run rjc spacers with felpro permadry plus gaskets before I spend a bunch of money on a product that just looks pretty and doesn't gain me anything. My polished stockers look fine to me.

NOT trying to flame you on this, rather trying to enlighten you as to why some here are drooling over two piece valve covers. You want me to spend $200+ on valve covers? Make them so that they gain me something. Sounds like a moot point anyway, as the project is DOA and not going anywhere.

bob :)

bob, don't worry, I didn't feel "flamed" at all...We all have our own opinions and this site is about sharing them!.:wink:
About the valve covers, a long time ago, I raced in NHRA's "super stock" classes and after several runs (if not every one of them!), we used to cool the cars down and remove the valve covers to check and if needed, adjust the valve lash. But nowadays, I wonder if this is still the case with Buicks...:confused: maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know...but having attended a lot of Buick-related events over the years, I don't remember seeing any racers removing the valve covers to check the valve lash. All I know is that I'm running faster now than I've ever did with my two past super stockers and that my GN requires far less maintenance than any other car I've raced before...:redface:
Also, you're were mentioning that the valve covers on the market right now aren't "gaining" you anything...Well, all I can think of is that the tall ones save you from using those spacers and adding one more gasket increasing the chances of a leak!...:redface:
Last, I'm not saying that two-piece valve covers are a bad idea...just that they'll probably be popular with a small minority of racers those, like you said, who run solid roller of flat tappet cams, but for most of us far from being a ''must have". :rolleyes:

I never understud that CAS copy that came out that didn't use a thick base flange like CAS used.

They just rolled sheet stock down for the flange. Bet that didn't work too good..

Just to change the subject a bet ,when i installed a set of 1.65 TD roller rockers on a set of champion iron heads i had the rocker adjusters hitting the inside of the stock valve cover.....This is with rjc spacer siliconed to head and 1 rubber gasket.....I installed 2 rubber valve cover gaskets and this cured the problem....my question is i am not comfortable with 2 gaskets and what is the best aftermarket valve cover to clear my rockers useing rjc spacer...THANKS

...my question is i am not comfortable with 2 gaskets and what is the best aftermarket valve cover to clear my rockers useing rjc spacer...THANKS

Bob, with some taller aftermarket valve covers, you won't need any spacer at all, and it also lets you get rid of one gasket...i bought my covers at Jack's but I think they're made by Champion...While you're in Florida, it would be a good opportunity for you to go to Champion and buy yourself a set! :wink:

i would be willing to lend out more parts if you want,i just needed back my tall valve covers before. if you want to try again just say the word!;)