Alradco Dual Fan Install with pics

Reggie West

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I did an install of Alradco's new radiator and big dual fan and thought I would post up the steps.

You can see the difference in the stock radiator and the new one. This one is powder coated black and the shroud is as well.

After removing the stock fan and radiator make sure you keep the rubber spacers at the top and bottom of the old radiator. You will need them.

This new radiator bolts right back in the stock location but don't bolt it up if you have the shroud as well. The new shroud covers all of the fins on the radiator. The shroud is secured by placing it inside of the bottom radiator support. There are no bolts to secure it. The holes that are cut out of the bottom and the top of the shroud DO NOT line up with the stock bolt holes on the car. You dont need them so don't freak out.

The top of the shroud is held in place by the upper radiator support bracket. You may need an extra set of hands to make sure the shroud is lined up with the radiator as you snug up the bolts.

You will need to reuse the bolts that hold the clamps around both AC lines, they go back in as before with no problems.

Before the fan install this car would heat up to 200 degrees in stop and go traffic and would not cool back down. Even when you would get on the freeway it would cool down after 10 to 12 miles of steady speed. This stock fan was wired to come on high only and still would not cool off.

With the new radiator and fan the car can get up to 180 in stop and go traffic and it cools back down to 160 every time.

First off, the radiator and shroud are nice pieces. Good fit and finsih. The wiring supplied with it is quality stuff as well.

I had talked to Pete at Alradco about a couple of observation about the kit. The dual fan kit is set up to run only one fan on low or both on high. One single fan can actually bring temps down with the car up to temperature sitting at idle. We let the car run in park, it heated up to 185 and one single fan brought it back down to 160. I would like to see both fans run on low or high. I think it would only help keep the car cool in traffic, especially when outside temps are hitting 105 degrees or more sometimes. I believe Pete will be addressing that shortly.

The supplied wiring harness was just a little tight when it came to routing the positive and negative terminals up to the battery on the car. I suggested to Pete to add about 8 to 12 inches to those wires so they can be routed around the front and sides of the battery so the installation could be a little neater.

As you can see from the photos, the intercooler pipe from the turbo to the intercooler has very little space between it and the fan. We are getting that remedied with a U bend of pipe so there will be sufficient space between the pipe and fan. We reclocked the compressor side of the turbo but that alone was not enough. With all the different pipes and intercoolers out there you will have to look at space between the pipes on your car. It can be done.

All in all this is a very good product and it works very well.

I hope this will help some of you.

100_3198.JPG
100_3192.JPG
100_3194.JPG
100_3200.JPG
100_3201.JPG

I did an install of Alradco's new radiator and big dual fan and thought I would post up the steps.

You can see the difference in the stock radiator and the new one. This one is powder coated black and the shroud is as well.

After removing the stock fan and radiator make sure you keep the rubber spacers at the top and bottom of the old radiator. You will need them.

This new radiator bolts right back in the stock location but don't bolt it up if you have the shroud as well. The new shroud covers all of the fins on the radiator. The shroud is secured by placing it inside of the bottom radiator support. There are no bolts to secure it. The holes that are cut out of the bottom and the top of the shroud DO NOT line up with the stock bolt holes on the car. You dont need them so don't freak out.

The top of the shroud is held in place by the upper radiator support bracket. You may need an extra set of hands to make sure the shroud is lined up with the radiator as you snug up the bolts.

You will need to reuse the bolts that hold the clamps around both AC lines, they go back in as before with no problems.

Before the fan install this car would heat up to 200 degrees in stop and go traffic and would not cool back down. Even when you would get on the freeway it would cool down after 10 to 12 miles of steady speed. This stock fan was wired to come on high only and still would not cool off.

With the new radiator and fan the car can get up to 180 in stop and go traffic and it cools back down to 160 every time.

First off, the radiator and shroud are nice pieces. Good fit and finsih. The wiring supplied with it is quality stuff as well.

I had talked to Pete at Alradco about a couple of observation about the kit. The dual fan kit is set up to run only one fan on low or both on high. One single fan can actually bring temps down with the car up to temperature sitting at idle. We let the car run in park, it heated up to 185 and one single fan brought it back down to 160. I would like to see both fans run on low or high. I think it would only help keep the car cool in traffic, especially when outside temps are hitting 105 degrees or more sometimes. I believe Pete will be addressing that shortly.

The supplied wiring harness was just a little tight when it came to routing the positive and negative terminals up to the battery on the car. I suggested to Pete to add about 8 to 12 inches to those wires so they can be routed around the front and sides of the battery so the installation could be a little neater.

As you can see from the photos, the intercooler pipe from the turbo to the intercooler has very little space between it and the fan. We are getting that remedied with a U bend of pipe so there will be sufficient space between the pipe and fan. We reclocked the compressor side of the turbo but that alone was not enough. With all the different pipes and intercoolers out there you will have to look at space between the pipes on your car. It can be done.

All in all this is a very good product and it works very well.

I hope this will help some of you.

View attachment 196830View attachment 196831View attachment 196832View attachment 196833View attachment 196834
What front mount are you running?

Car has a Precision front mount on it.

Cool... I was thinking about going with an RJC.... Heard the same thing that the pipes hit and you have to cut them... I dont want to have to connect piece back together with hose. Would rather be welded. Can you take some more pics of the piping and where you intend on modifying?

Clint

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Its in the works. I will post up some pics when that is done.

Sweet... Cant wait!!

Does anyone out there have an RJC front mount with Alradco fans and radiator?

Clint

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Great write up and glad you're happy. If I had known you have a chrome radiator cover I would have suggested the new chrome powder coated shrouds we are doing. Thanks for your business. Glad the radiator and fans got your temps down.

Peter

Did you have any issues with the way the upper radiator bracket fit?

Since I'm doing a 84 conversion I've had to buy a few parts like the upper radiator bracket. It's not fitting right. It won't sit down flush.