Alky Thinking Outside The Box

I think there is no question from a simple g force of launch perspective the direct port would be better. There is no way of stopping the heavier laden alky users from the alky mix tending towards the rear of the intake on a hard launch. Many cars have made big power on the dyno with adding a alot of alky only to blow the front headgaskets at the track from the launch.

I'm thinking the more probable explanation for this would be loss of fluid at the suction to the pump and an overall lack of alcohol in the motor.

I suppose alcohol pressure logging would tell the tale on that though...

The pressure switch output to a boost controller is a good idea though. I need to see if the boost leash can accept that as an input.

Heavily ladened air is the key here. I mean a car where the tune is really spraying the house down (past saturation temp and now supplementing octane and fuel) rand really launching hard...trust me it happens. This isnt speculation it has thappened.
A loss of pump pick up wouldnt pop only the front two cylinders others would.
Low Low tens and faster cars tend to this when tune is alky heavy,

Last edited:
Boost is simply air that is pressurized in the the intake tract.
You can have a pipe filled to 30 psi and have liquid in it and still slosh it around. Dont get wrapped up in the alky is atomized completely...Im not... repeat not.... saying that every car should worry and get into a pissing contest about this.
What im saying..... is there is scenarios in higher horsepower cars that really use alot of alky and launch hard where direct port would stop the dense charge from tending to rear of plenum/plenum manifold etc.

Boost is simply air that is pressurized in the the intake tract.
You can have a pipe filled to 30 psi and have liquid in it and still slosh it around. Dont get wrapped up in the alky is atomized completely...Im not... repeat not.... saying that every car should worry and get into a pissing contest about this.
What im saying..... is there is scenarios in higher horsepower cars that really use alot of alky and launch hard where direct port would stop the dense charge from tending to rear of plenum/plenum manifold etc.
I can use Robert Wilson as an example 9.1 on pump gas.

That is why the feed hose is long and or larger ID as it holds fluid.

If your 60 footing really hard you should be on a fuel cell.. actually if your running in the 9's you should be on a cell.. this is where we can get real.. expecting a simple tank designed around a street car to hold fluid properly on a car making 1.2-1.3 60 foots.. well ya know..

Everyone loves pushing things to outer limits. Us Buick guys have been doing this for decades.. nothing new.. But thats why i'm on a fuel cell on my own setup. Sooner or latter you just have to breakdown and accept that going faster has a cost. This more than doing 6 nozzles as a start..

That DPI would have to atomize like a fuel injector.
Direct port is used more for fueling than cooling in most setups. There is less time for vaporization and phase shifitng. Water is a better fluid to be introduced in the intake manifold as the fluid has a stronger surface tension, and therefore less finely atomized. It doesn't have curves and walls to worry about, it simply goes into the combustion chamber. A direct port kit is as simple as a splitter, hose, and more nozzles. The main issue with direct port is the nozzles. Because the flow is cut down by the number of cylinders, the orifices are smaller and more likely to clog. Probably won't be an issue for most TB people that get a significant amount of fueling from their kits.

Other "advancements" that have been out for a decade or more would be IDC mirrored flow, and valve controlled flow rather than pump controlled flow.

Little something I am experimenting with this year:
IMAG0260.jpg

I often wondered if you couldnt use a small spacer with a spray bar in the center just like a NOS type setup... Would definately be a cleaner look in my opinion and would still be above the level of the alky..

Had thought about that too a while back, just couldn't see how to be sure equal amounts were being fed to each runner. With a lot more interior volume I would have considered mounting the manifold and injectors inside the plenum area, similar to DonW's setup. Also thought about mounting underneath the intake, but didn't like all the fittings out of sight on a test rig--plus nozzles installed pointing up seems like a recipe for plugged nozzles. Going to run it like this for the time being, and look at all the options again after a period of time--I definitely wanted it hidden a lot more than this ended up to be. Looking to take it to the track this weekend and see how it performs.

You gonna run the car with no hood?? Thats an awful lot of real estate up there next to the hood

Little something I am experimenting with this year:
View attachment 224042

I often wondered if you couldnt use a small spacer with a spray bar in the center just like a NOS type setup... Would definately be a cleaner look in my opinion and would still be above the level of the alky..

Been there, done that. A few people have them I didn't sell many.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Not sure how I miss some of this stuff. With the single spray bar, even at the floor of the plenum, I'd wonder if under actual conditions the directed sprays still squarely hit their intended targets. Perhaps a twin spray bar, with each located to the far driver/passenger sides of the plenum? I do remember seeing the spray bar plates on the OGS site some years back.

I think spraybars would work good... according to Razor at 75 degrees it immediately vaporizes so it would be a very clean look.....

Clint, it was just like you are thinking, a spacer plate between doghouse and intake with a central spraybar, believe it ran front to back through the plate