Alky pointers

85monte

Just wondering if any of you guys might help a few of my friends out. I'm am posting under my brothers screen name, so dont think has gone crazy. Anyway to the point, a lot of us are looking into alky injection instead of meth for our wrx\sti's, so i couldn't think of a better place to ask. Please don't think we are a bunch of ricers, i bet if anyone of you would hang out with us at one of our get togethers, you would surely see that. i guess my biggest con would be the drive to get the meth, compare to alky being so easy to get. Thanks for the help.

buy the way this is the link that was started on it
http://www.wrxatl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4314

Steve from SMC does a lot with the WRX's ... where u guys located?

Also what do ya wanna know?

Phil

just looking for the pros and cons of alky, just really some starting infomation. People have been hitting some great numbers and performance out of the meth kits, but i would have to drive around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get a jug filled. i would really love to use the i/c spray jug in the trunk for the alky, although i guess i would have to run a new line. sorry if i'm rambling, but i would just like to know how alky compares to meth, and just a little suggestion from someone that just does not want to take my money.

btw we are in atlanta, and have a big install day planned next weekend(1-28) if anyone wants to come show off their alky kit.

You mean methanol? Methanol is a type of alky... along with many other types including ethanol...

Ethanol is more readily available at hardware stores and homo depots, etc... and works close to methanol although meth will give you a (lil) performance edge and its much cheaper. Eth is almost $10/gallon and you will go thru it pretty quick since alky injection makes your foot heavier. :) We tend to use both, depending on what we have laying around and what the customer has access to (similar you your situation).

There really are no cons to doing it, especially on a street car. Only problems that would occur are that if its tuned wrong or the system fails. For non progressive systems, you may also experience "bog" at the initial boosts when running a large boost range...

more? detail plz...!

Phil

There are two issues with an alky injection system.

One is having a reliable setup. This comes from design and placement of components. This step is crucial since part of your fuel map now comes from the injection system. You cheapen/cheese ball this.. you'll be picking up lots of parts.

The second is tuning.

Your big issue once you get past the first... is then the ability to tune the motor now that additional fuel is being shot in. Here is where the stock ECU has limitations in its ability to pull enough fuel out. So what is done is supply a kit with really small nozzles that cant overwhelm the motr.. the down side is lack of alky flow into the motor. The Evo8 crowd uses the AEM for this exact reason. I dont know if there is an AEM for the Suburu yet.. but do know the stock pcm does not allow in its tables tons of fuel to be displaced.. creating issues.

This is the reason I dont make kits for the SRT4's for example.. they cannot be tuned effectively. I know Doug at Top Speed does a lot of EVO and WRX's.. he's on top of his game, but my knowledge on the WRX comes from talking with him. And tuning issues encountered.

The three types of alcohols used are isopropyl, methanol, and ethanol aka denatured alcohol. Denatured can be obtained at any paint/hardware store. Its expensive at 10 dollars per gallon approx. Methanol.. look at the sticky in this section of the forums. Isopropyl... any drug store. Thos typically found with water.. once you choose an alky.. stick with it to keep your tuneup the same.

If an aftermarket ECM is available for engine management... the sky is the limit on how much power can be extracted on pump gas.

HTH

you can use AEM's stand alone with anything. A local shop here was big on a electromotive in the past...now they are big AEM guys. THat issue can be tuned around in the SRT4s...it may take the stand alone or a piggy back though.

actually i am running ecutek engine management, so i understand i will have to be retuned. i am also familar with doug, and he will prob be the one to tune my car when i upgrade the turbo, injectors, and which ever i decide to bump up the octane. Thanks a lot for the help guys. I would really like to find a GN or a T Type one of the these days, but i first have to pay my sti off. I know where a couple of 87 GN's are sitting, maybe the guy will still have them in a couple years.

thanks again for all the help

grocerygetter said:
you can use AEM's stand alone with anything. A local shop here was big on a electromotive in the past...now they are big AEM guys. THat issue can be tuned around in the SRT4s...it may take the stand alone or a piggy back though.

Well thats kinda true/not true. It has to do with compatability with the current engine sensors as one issue..then we have a 40K dollar vehicle and nobody wants to hack the wiring up.. point of no return scenario.. so the wait for an adapter harness..

As to the SRT4.. putting clamps on sensors is not the way.. either the computer is hacked(Chrysler) or they wait for AEM to comeout with a plug-n-play.. and that should be ready pretty soon..

razor, i am guessing an ecutek tune could handle this upgrade. or are you refering to hydra em. to my understanding, i should not need hydra unless i go with a huge turbo to control boost levels that the factory ecu cannot handle. correct me if i'm wrong. btw which one of your kits would you recommend on a wrx or sti.

85monte said:
razor, i am guessing an ecutek tune could handle this upgrade. or are you refering to hydra em. to my understanding, i should not need hydra unless i go with a huge turbo to control boost levels that the factory ecu cannot handle. correct me if i'm wrong. btw which one of your kits would you recommend on a wrx or sti.

See.. this is exactly the question.. to which I dont have an answer too. Since my knowledge on these cars is limited.

Its not an issue of controlling boost.. its an issue of controlling fuel delivery. And the ability to yank out a ton of fuel.

Sorry if i am sounding like a dumb@ss, but i am still trying to learn. I know a couple of tuners, but i just wanted to get some info before i go to spend the cash. We have got a dyno day next month at Topspeed, guess i will try to pick Doug's brain a little bit. Thanks for the chemistry lesson though *not trying to be smart.

I ended up going with the SMC akly kit and got it tuned with heet. Hats off to Smc and Subaru of Gwinnett(Scott Siegel). The SMC kit was a VERY easy and clean install. We stayed around 335whp, 397wtq all day after the road tune. After letting it cool down, here are the numbers we did on the following mods.

All Perrin TMIC, Inlet tube, MAF Hose, ECBS, Catless TBE
Fram Air Hog Panel filter, Stock Air Box, BONE stock Turbo, and The SMC Kit

http://www.siegelracing.com/dynos/ALLISON.jpg