Alky on w/ ignition on!

Torque2

Hey, can someone help me fix this problem with my alkycontrol set-up?
It just started pumping all the time when the car is "on". I checked out the wiring and found the shielding wire hanging loose under the dash, but I can't find a "big brown" wire coming from the PAC that it attaches to (according to the instructions). I've confirmed good grounds. The green MAP wire has 0.0v, the wire to it's left has 5.2v and grounding the black MAP wire makes no difference. I also noticed that my low-fuel bulb, which never worked in the past is now on! I'm guessing this is a wiring issue.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim

Well, seems the problem has somehow fixed itself. I checked MAP voltage (the right way this time) and got the correct 1.6, disconnected and reconnected power wires and even ran a new ground from the MAP to be safe. I'm not comfortable that it won't happen again, and will go along with Razor's suggestion to upgrade my controller and pump to the newer ones for a little more security.

Well, seems the problem has somehow fixed itself. I checked MAP voltage (the right way this time) and got the correct 1.6, disconnected and reconnected power wires and even ran a new ground from the MAP to be safe. I'm not comfortable that it won't happen again, and will go along with Razor's suggestion to upgrade my controller and pump to the newer ones for a little more security.

I think your problem was MAP related. Either by moving the 3 prong plug or grounding issue. As the old saying, keep an eye on it.

Glad it was something simple. 20 year old cars with 20 year old wiring.. vibration, temperature changes, etc etc etc. Its amazing there arent more problems.

Yea, I once had a bad connection on the map and it caused my low light to stay on as well, but i never noticed the pump running the whole time. I did once forget to turn off the alky when I had an ecm out and turned on the key, then the pump kicked on when I turned the key on.

Took it out for a spin last night. It would stumble with the test light at idle, so I knew it was putting out alky. Cruising down the road, a couple of teens next to me in a loud pick-up truck kept reving their engine and egging me on, so I decided to see if the alky was working for sure and gave it a wot blast. Awesome, no knock and that awesome "seat-of-your-pants" feeling was back until ... "POP!" It was like a shot gun went off, and the car started hesitating and coughing. Here comes that sinking feeling. Not a head gasket again!!! I could barely get it pulled off the road. When I popped the hood I was expecting the worst:eek: , what I got was a blown off up-pipe:D I had no tools, but managed to put my tire iron to work as a giant screwdriver and I was back on the road. Whew. Time for some "real" hose clamps! I'm guessing those kids thought I blew up my engine. I know I did.

Lol, yea no substitute for good t-bolt clamps... I prefer the ones with the springs if you can find those. I think they're used on diesels mainly.

Just picked up some good t-clamps at my local irrigation supply store for $3.00 each! Now I'll KNOW it's a head gasket next time.;)

That's a good price, do they ship? I am used to paying $5 a pop for them... I personally don't need them but others may be interested.

Never got them from ebay, got the bulk of mine from a buddy at a ford dealer, uses them on the diesel trucks and got a couple replacements from striping mine from a buddy who runs sngperformance.com.

Glad you got the alky working.

Do yourself a favor. Go buy a small tool set to keep in the trunk of the car with all the basics along with a test light and the whole array of fuses that you may need. Other things I keep are electrical tape, duct tape:cool: , flashlight and zipties. Also a small fire extinguisher and a couple of bottled waters. After 21 years of driving hotrods these are my small list of essentials that I have needed and did not have in the past at one time or another. My list gets a little bigger after each "incident".

Dont ask about how I learned to keep a fire extinguisher....:eek: :redface:

x2, i have a stash of tools I always take to the track with me, the flashlight and fire extinguisher never leave the car...i'd say the fire extinguisher is the most important especially running alky, never can be too careful.

I normally do carry tools in my trunk, but unfortunately I decided to vacuum out everything while I was trying to figure out the problem. I probably ought to tach weld one in place to keep that from happening in the future.:rolleyes: I am going to buy an extinguisher tonight, excellent idea!
ps - I just noticed that I blew a big hole in my insulation pad, bummer. I don't imagine that is the reason for carrying duct tape in the trunk, right?

I normally do carry tools in my trunk, but unfortunately I decided to vacuum out everything while I was trying to figure out the problem. I probably ought to tach weld one in place to keep that from happening in the future.:rolleyes: I am going to buy an extinguisher tonight, excellent idea!
ps - I just noticed that I blew a big hole in my insulation pad, bummer. I don't imagine that is the reason for carrying duct tape in the trunk, right?

NASA equips all missions with duct tape. I figure if they use it so could I.:D

Seriously, duct tape could seal up that blown IC pipe if your hoseclamp stripped...it will get you home at least. It is just a useful item.

NASA equips all missions with duct tape. I figure if they use it so could I.:D

Seriously, duct tape could seal up that blown IC pipe if your hoseclamp stripped...it will get you home at least. It is just a useful item.

I used duct tape for a fan belt once, made it 6 miles, then re did it a little better and it lasted 13 miles...to my house