Alcohol Pump

UnderPSI

My old alcohol pump is no longer working as my car sat for a few years and it locked up. It is a Bosch pump from an F150 I bought 5 or 6 years ago. Back when I put this kit together, this was the most common pump to use but now it seems ther are more choices out there. I have a 2.5gal alcohol tank mounted in the trunk and the pump was located on the frame rail just below the fuel filter. This worked great but now I have to replace the pump and I was wandering what would be a good replacment for it. I would like to keep the pump mounted on the frame rail. Also, what prices would the new pumps be? Thanks

Dave,

I hope that's not the case - look at that last line:

"Note: This pump can not be used with flammable liquids" :eek:

It is true that the pumps from Shurflo are not meant to be used with flammable fluids. Something abount the design of the motor itself. That recomendation I believe is meant to cover the company's butt. Not sure what the design requirements need to be for a motor handling flammable liquids and for UL approval. Pretty sure that is the pump I use and others who have built DIY systems. I don't think it poses any more hazard of igniting the alcohol than the failure of anything else in the engine compartment that might produce a spark or short ckt in the vicinity of the alky. Pretty sure none of their pumps are approved for flammable liquids although I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.:eek:

Well.. see the Ford EFI pump was really designed to run with blends. That is alcohol mixed fuels. Not really straight alcohol. So if your using a lot of lube with the alcohol, that pump should work until run dry or???

The Shurflo issue I found a different twist on. See the materials used wont be compatible with oils and gasoline. Yet compatability with alcohol on the seals/materials is not a problem. Look at those who have used it for years now and no issues. The motor sticker issue from Shurflo is they're CYA wink wink deal.

If the concern is safety, then mix the alcohol down with water, and run lower boost. But dont run water/mix on an EFI type pump. That will kill it in short order.

I personally have been running 100% methanol alcohol through my pump for over a year now, and no issue. In other words, my pump has had long term contact with methanol, and not had any problems.

If you want, there are companies that sell sell alcohol pumps for use with EFI systems, but expect to pay a huge premium. And I have no data from weldon, aeromotive, BG, etc that sell the pumps for use with race cars and alcohol.

The Flojet has the same issue as the Shurflo. As long as there is electrical connected to any pump, there will always be a possibility of a spark issue. There is no 100% anything.

Looks like I'll go with a Shurflo pump. I took the old Bosch pump apart and found that it is not made of all stainless components. The housing is obviously made of alluminium which had corosion on it and there was a lot of rust in it from other non stainless comporents.