Air Ride

Danno

Anybody on here running air ride in their Regal/GN? I saw a show where they did testing and it showed great improvements in handeling. What are your thoughts on this? I'm not posting to hear 'will be expensive, just go with springs'. I want to hear any pros and cons and how much of a difference it really makes. Not worried about the cost of it and I'm not looking for some crazy ass car hopping kit.

The Air Ride Technologies kit is $2200 (With other kits up to $6500:eek: ), and once I start getting an income, this will be the first thing going on the GN. I really liked how my GN looked with the GTA rims and the drop spindles/springs, but the fronts rubbed at nearly every dip in the road, now it seems too high with stock springs. The $2200 kit doesn't have digital gauges, and doesn't have the presets to automatically go to a certain height. My father has the AirRide tech front kit on his '57 and has had no problems with it. Not sure about the handling aspect, but from what they show on their site of that pro-touring Chevelle, seems like it works.

The lower priced kit is a basic kit that doesn't include the bags with the built in adjustable shocks (QA-1 ?) if I remember correctly. The expensive kit is the one they are using in their handling setups.

I am installing an AirLift digital setup in my Fairlane. I only have the front set up done so far but I have taken it for a drive down the street and even without shocks the ride was noticeably smoother and handling didn't seem to suffer. Should be a lot better with shocks.

If you want it to handle you will probably want to go with the air over shock digital setup. You will probably only have 4 or so 1" holes for your air lines, all other mods could be set up to bolt in and out, just like the springs. So you could return to stock easily.

Thanks for the replys. I have been looking for a decent kit for a GBody and they seem hard to find. I've done quite a few kits from AirLift on trucks and they offer one for G Bodies but by the looks of it it is just a coiler helper design that has a bag inside the coil spring which is not what I am looking for.

I'm sure I could make my own kit. Shouldn't be too hard, just have to order a pump and air tank and make a few brackets myself.

Yea you're thinking of the helper springs that a lot use for drag racing.
They have a "crafter pack" that you can get that has all the basics; bags, valves, airline, tank, compreesor and you fabricate your own brackets. It's under there EasyStreet line. You can also get a digital controller they sell which simplifies a lot of the installation and has neat features like being able to set ride height and leak detection. This is what I have on my Fairlane.

There are a lot of resources that sell what you need to make the brackets (basically DOM Tubing and steel for the base of the tube to mount the bag to). The rear would be pretty easy as the tubing could be straight and shocks could stay in stock loc. Some of the vendors sell axle brackets that could easily be adapted.

Ya, I figured they were more for drag racing. I've only put them in trucks for load leveling. I'm sure we have enough tubing and air bags at work already so I'd probably just order the air tank and compressor separate (although we might have an air tank already to). I would definately like the electronic system because it keeps it looking very clean and you can put presets in it.

Any recomondations for the front? Should I buy new control arms or do you think the stock ones will be fine?

Also have you heard of anyone with increased handeling with air bags? or is it about the same as changing out the springs?

Mainly the ride improves and you can realy drop it down low.
I guess it would depend on how you set it up and what pressure you drive it at. I think a good shock would be really important.
Most of the guys using bags just want the look.
I wanted the look and to help out the ride. Kinda funny because one day I will probably tear the entire front suspension off the Ford and replace with something more modern.

Well, I need all around shocks anyways. The plan is to do up a 350 so the rear end will be swapped out in the end so I'm trying to plan it so I don't have to buy things twice. And if I'm changing out the rear end, it would be the perfect time to do the suspension mods.

I guess I'll have to price out some more stuff and see what I'm going to end up paying for a smoother ride and that extra bit of 'looks' before I do anything.

Well, I need all around shocks anyways. The plan is to do up a 350 so the rear end will be swapped out in the end so I'm trying to plan it so I don't have to buy things twice. And if I'm changing out the rear end, it would be the perfect time to do the suspension mods.

I guess I'll have to price out some more stuff and see what I'm going to end up paying for a smoother ride and that extra bit of 'looks' before I do anything.

Dan,

Give this company a call: FESLER BUILT.COM

I priced out the top end Air Ride system (with an Accuair control system versus the Air Ride Airpod/controller system) and it was less than $4500 from what I can recall.

The Accuair control system looks to be a real nice unit: AccuAir - Air Suspension

Rob

Pretty sure this one I've seen at a few Midwest shows is bagged. Sorry I don't have a better photo.

DSC02899.jpg

Not sure why I didn't manage to get a better picture of that car. Here's the best one, next to other GNs for comparison.

dropped-1.jpg

Airride was at Goodguys this weekend and had their display set up. They do have the setup for a g-body now with the bags with the built in shocks. There are special control arms they make too, guy said about $1600 for a g-body setup without compressor/tank/valves/controller.

Look guys, I've had serveral bagged cars and let me tell you. With Airride your simply paying for a name. You can get a much better set up with higher quality components by going with some one like suicidedoors.com.

Believe me. I have had both and with Some one like suicide doors you get more for your money. Airride kits are about twice as much as any one else.

Thank you all for the responses. I will look into those companies but more likely than not, if I get bags for it, it will be from AirLift as my work deals with them and I would be able to get a discount. I'm thinking it may be cheaper to make my own brackets for the bags rather than finding a complete kit and I would have a vehicle with a kit already installed as a guide for making the backets anyways.

@ 1LowLeSabre, what difference did you notice in handeling?

Well Danno, It all depends on how it's set up. I had a '53 Suburban that road like a Caddy but handeled like a bread truck. I had a '61 Buick that handeled like a Vette but road like a right our at the state fair. It's all ab0out getting the right stuff for the right car. And honeslty, I wouldn't do it to one of our cars. It looks great, but they are made for srpings not bags. Bags are really for lowriders. I say this because I'm in a lowrider club. And I'm not craizy about using them for every day use. If you loose one bag going home from work dues to something rubbing because of poor crafstmenship or splimy something flying up under your car going down the road, your pretty much dead in the water.

What ever kit you do decide on, make sure taht you plumb all four corners sepreate from one another. It keeps you from having body roll when cornering due to the air in the bags on one side rushing to the other bags opposite them. You also want a rear sawy bar and I would go with a four link in the rear wit with a panhard bard as well. You can keeo it simple or you can go crazy with it. Just depends on what you want to do.

That GN did look nice lowered like that. How much extra weight is being added to the car with one of those setups? I think as far as handling there are much better and cheaper ways to go IMO.