Air conditioning

Turbo_KITT

Hello all-
I am new to this board and just bought a TTA clone for a Custom car conversion. The origional car had Air Conditioning and I was wondering if any TTA's came with AC? I have only had the car a couple weeks and I need to learn quick what these cars need to run their best and how to bring the Clone up to TTA spec's. The previous owner didn't have much info to tell me. It was a 1988 that had a TTA drivetrain installed. That's all he knew!

JOe

yes - all TTAs had AC - if you google 89 Turbo Trans Am pace car and connotations of the same, you'll find one or more sites where guys have posted their window stickers/options list. Other than interior, ttops (and for 2 cars color) they're the same

In fact... from my declining feeble memory... it's the a/c unit that forced using the fwd heads instead of using the Buick TR heads.

AC

I thought they used the FWD heads because the GNX heads wouldn't fit between the strut towers? Does someone have some AC info and pic's so I can get some part numbers? It is getting warm in Massachusetts and the humidity isn't getting any better :)

Not fitting between the towers was the same story I got when I was on the TR lists. The more knowledgeable TTA people told me it was actually the A/C, because without it the heads would fit.

I also think of it this way. I've seen TTA's with stage blocks. Those heads are bigger than the FWD type heads, and I've never seen a TTA stage block with A/C. Maybe the wrong correlation...

Where are you in MA? There's some TTA's in the Boston area.

YES! Excellent pictures! Hang onto them for future use. I'm going to save them once I get back on my own PC!

looks like mine :)

Lots of room in there now

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 200
My motor is out and I'm REALLY debating whether to pull the a/c. If it was only used for racing I'd do it in a minute and also get that nice Champion billet a/c delete bracket for the compressor. But if you drive any of these cars in the summer, they can really get hot with the t-tops and that big glass hatchback

Here's the other, Same belt works fine by the way....I put all the parts into a black plastic bag and sealed it and stored it up in my garage rafters......

Attachments

• resized 2.jpg
    resized 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 169
Originally posted by trading t/a
Here's the other, Same belt works fine by the way....I put all the parts into a black plastic bag and sealed it and stored it up in my garage rafters......

What do You think about this setup? I too have that AC-delete pulley, but I thought it felt a bit weak, so I never installed it.

AC

So what you guys are saying is that you removed the compressor and added a spacer pully? I still need to buy some books on the TTA so I can see the differences between the TTA and regular Trans Am engine set up...

Anyonw know where to get AC parts for a TTA? It looks like the GTA my car was had AC, it still has the accumulator, and the compressor looks intact on the TTA engine. Options??? Comments??? HELP!!! It is too hot for this garbage!!!!!

TTA a/c could be megabucks...check some of the parts-for-sale areas of the turbo buick boards. I think the lines are the biggest problem. I do recall someone selling them recently.

The a/c compressor delete is a kinda like a spacer pulley ( I guess). There have been several available for the Buicks over the last few years. The Champion unit is real nice but expensive.

From the TTA SMS:

"The manually controlled air conditioning system is similar to that of the base Firebird with the LB8 V6 engine, with the following exceptions. The compressor is mounted to a cast metal bracket attached to the front of the left cylinder head. The bracket also supports the generator and power steering pump. For accessibility and clearance, the compressor clutch coil electrical connector is moved to the left side of the mounted compressor. The compressor and condenser refrigerant hose and connector block assembly is similar to the type used on the 1987 V8 engine installations. Heater inlet and outlet pipes are routed just inboard of the right-hand valve cover and are connected to the heater core inlet and outlet tubes by short formed heater hoses. The forward end of the heater inlet pipe is connected to a fitting near the top of the intake manifold. From the forward end of the heater outlet pipe, coolant flows down through a short vertical pipe and two short connecting hoses to the engine oil cooler at the base of the oil filter adapter. After absorbing excess heat from the engine oil, the coolant flows through another pipe and two connecting hoses to a fitting cast into the coolant pump inlet. At that point, the coolant joins the main flow through the engine's cooling system. Branching fittings near the forward ends of the heater inlet and outlet pipes are connected by short hoses to the coolant inlet and outlet fittings at the throttle body to warm the air entering the engine. Because a vacuum-controlled hot water valve is not used with the LC2 turbocharged 3.8L V6 engine, the vacuum hose for the hot water valve vacuum actuator is cut off and capped."

HTH,
Tom