Aftermarket shifter?

Buickforlife

Tyler Northcutt
What would yall recommend? I found this website Hurst_Quarter_Stick_and_BM_Shifter_Installations

I like the hurst shifter much better than the B&M shifters (personal preference)

The only problem with that website is none of the part #s are correct. I did however find a hurst shifter on summit that will work with a 4 speed automatic. Pretty sure that it will work Hurst Shifters 3160001 - Hurst Quarter Stick Shifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And anybody know what length cable I would need. Thanks in advance.

Here is a thread I started a few years ago. I went with a B&M, but any will work. In the case of a Pro Stick or Quarter Stick, all you need to change is the gate plate to make it a 4 speed. It costs about 15-20 bucks extra. If you are looking to keep it factory looking, the B&M Megashifter plate looks awesome in the console. Look at the thread and choose. It does require cutting your console. This is a pain in the butt. Use a ROTOZIP tool to do it. A drill or saw breaks the plastic real bad. Let me know if I can help.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/254707-shifters-pics-installs-please.htm

Coach

I used the pro stick part#80701. It came with the cable. There was a write up in The Source newsletter how to do it. I could not get it perfect enough to work with the T brake and the overlay BUICKGN sells so I had to open up his plate more. Putting it in seemed to be a PITA for me to get it perfect. Maybe this was all my problem but its in there now and looks could and is functional. Just not as easy as I thought it would be.

I did find the right cable bracket and lever for the 4 speed transmission. Here is a link to everything that I found. Hopefully it is everything I need.

Thanks for the link, and suggestion Coach. But I personally don't like the B&M shifters. I have one in my GSX, and I hate it.

Here are the links to what I have found. Let me know if I am missing anything.

Hurst Shifters 1058572 - Hurst Shifters Shifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hurst Shifters 1174778 - Hurst Automatic Transmission Cable Brackets and Levers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hurst Shifters 3160001 - Hurst Quarter Stick Shifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit Racing SME-6003 - Summit Racing® Shifter Cables - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I literally just finished an installation of a B&M Quicksilver shifter minutes ago! Took a bunch of pictures and will start a separate thread with the pics when I get a chance. I have everything under the stock console plate. Little bit of work but came out nice. No going back to the stock shifter though with the way I did it. No big deal to me.:)

Already working on a custom knob to replace the cheese B&M one.:biggrin:

Having installed a few of the Hurst and B&M shifters I would recommend spending money elsewhere. The stock shifter is perfect until you switch to a TH400 then you can get a real shifter/Winters, Precision. There are great troubles with the bracket that comes with both the Hurst and the B&M. The bracket that bolts to the trans on the mechanism that changes gears has to be modified to use the stock coluum lock (the odd looking bar that runs from the coluum to the side of the trans). Also the hole(s) are in the wrong place on both these shifter brackets to allow you to shift properly from first gear all the way to park (angle is too steep). The cheesy directions for Hurst say to wire the coluum lock up and don't use the factory rod, I can tell you that will create problems with the ECM as it uses this rod to tell it what gear you are in. This creates odd behavior. You want a "positive dentent" shifter not a "slap shifter" which at times will not fully engage each gear which can damage the trans. The bracket I am talking about is in the attached pic. I currently have the Hurst and the reverse lock-out stopped functioning (you can shift right into reverse without moving the little lever) after about 2k miles. I posted a few times in the new parts wanted section a few times over the years that a properly thought out bracket would sure help out but no takers yet. The one in the pic is one I built using a combination of the stock bracket and the Hurst bracket and the hole is shifted forward. I regret not keeping the stock shifter.
Mike

Attachments

• DSC02091.jpg
    DSC02091.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC02088.jpg
    DSC02088.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 486
Having installed a few of the Hurst and B&M shifters I would recommend spending money elsewhere. The stock shifter is perfect until you switch to a TH400 then you can get a real shifter/Winters, Precision. There are great troubles with the bracket that comes with both the Hurst and the B&M. The bracket that bolts to the trans on the mechanism that changes gears has to be modified to use the stock coluum lock (the odd looking bar that runs from the coluum to the side of the trans). Also the hole(s) are in the wrong place on both these shifter brackets to allow you to shift properly from first gear all the way to park (angle is too steep). The cheesy directions for Hurst say to wire the coluum lock up and don't use the factory rod, I can tell you that will create problems with the ECM as it uses this rod to tell it what gear you are in. This creates odd behavior. You want a "positive dentent" shifter not a "slap shifter" which at times will not fully engage each gear which can damage the trans. The bracket I am talking about is in the attached pic. I currently have the Hurst and the reverse lock-out stopped functioning (you can shift right into reverse without moving the little lever) after about 2k miles. I posted a few times in the new parts wanted section a few times over the years that a properly thought out bracket would sure help out but no takers yet. The one in the pic is one I built using a combination of the stock bracket and the Hurst bracket and the hole is shifted forward. I regret not keeping the stock shifter.
Mike

Mike,

I wish you would have posted before! I already ordered the B&M Pro Stick shifter. (I got talked out of the Hurst by some friends) I am getting this because I am getting a transmission with a 1st gear transbrake. And was worried about over shifting with the stock shifter. Is there a solution to that problem for the stock shifter? If there is I might try and get my money back for the pro stick shifter.

I have a B&M carbon fiber Pro Stick shifter installed in car and I'm very happy with it. I had Brian Cotton install it for me and he did a great job. He welded the stock transmission lever to the one supplied by B&M so the back-up lamps and neutral switch still function properly.
In the pictures below, you can see:
1° stock shifter before installation of the B&M unit
2° B&M carbon fiber Pro Stick shifter intalled in console
3° B&M lever welded to the original GM shifter lever

Claude. ;)

I like the carbon fiber look, but isn't that one a ratchet shifter?

Not sure what you mean by "ratchet" shifter, but it has a small lever on it that you have to squeeze to go to the next gear...Here's a picture taken from another angle...

Claude. :wink:

Thanks for the closer pic. That is the shifter I was wanting, because of the carbon fiber. But I thought those were a ratchet shifter, instead of the gate type. Oh well. I'll just have to deal with not having the CF lol.

Yall are killing me my piggy bank cant take much more!!!! That thing makes my swapmeet hurst prostick look like a big silver turd :eek: I dont think im gonna put it in now lol!!!! Whered you get it and how much dare i ask???

Thanks for the closer pic. That is the shifter I was wanting, because of the carbon fiber. But I thought those were a ratchet shifter, instead of the gate type. Oh well. I'll just have to deal with not having the CF lol.

Unfortunately, that shifter is discontinued...It was the B&M carbon fiber Pro Stick part # 81043. I think I bought one of the last ones...

Claude. :smile:

Unfortunately, that shifter is discontinued...I think I bought one of the last ones...

Claude. :smile:

No wonder I couldn't find it! I looked and looked for a carbon fiber gate shifter. Stupid B&M, the one that I really wanted is no longer made.:rolleyes: