Lightning Rod shifter question

Tori

Hi guys, i've been reading some of the past posts regarding the Hurst Lightning Rod shifters. I still have a few questions.

I see there are 4spd, and 3spd shifters. Did the '83-'84 Hurst Olds come with both 3 and 4 spd trannys?

I have seen 4 stick LR shifters on ebay, are those the 4 Spd ones ?

I just bought a 3 stick style, the guy says it came from a Hurst Olds, so i'm trying to gather more info on doing this swap.
My brother had an '84 HO back in the day, and i think something like this shifter is the only thing our cars are lacking. They are badass in every aspect, except the shifter. We got granny's floor shift. (guess it's not as bas a column shift. LOL )

Thanks in advance for the info....

So the 3 speed is for 3 speed transmissions and is even repopped now.

The 84 through 87 4 speed is the one you want. These are also the hardest to find intact and all the pieces, no repops available.

Hope that helps

And the 84 through 87 only came with a 4 speed from the factory. The transmission was a 2004r. The transmission however is different from the GN / TB one as it has a different identification and uses a different valve body. Maybe some other differences too but cant remember.

Thanks, but i'm still wondering about the 3 stick vs. 4 stick bit. From what i've seen here, our cars would use a 3 stick version so i guess that answers that.

So the 3 speed is for 3 speed transmissions and is even repopped now.

The 84 through 87 4 speed is the one you want. These are also the hardest to find intact and all the pieces, no repops available.

Hope that helps

Although not an exact repop, there is one available for 4 speed autos...

So, how can you tell the difference between 3spd and 4spd. (visually) Don't have one in hand to count the shift gates.

Thanks Nasty, so does this looks reasonable then ? It's the best pic i have of that side of the shifter.
Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 6.40.58 PM copy.png

Makes sense.....fwiw I've heard of people using a 3 speed on a 2004r and you just can't pull down to 1st. So all levers back would be second with a 3 speed set.

Lil brag....adding brush sweeps so you can't see down in the console.

Attachments

• 1429383047985.jpg
    1429383047985.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 550
Looks great Nasty. I think i'm in good shape then with mine. Wasn't quite sure if i had the 4spd or not. The part number shown in my auction referenced back to the 3spd one, but seller says he took it out of a HO. The rubber gate seal, and brush sweeps are a must !