Advice needed: 1979 LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe - No Spark

flyfisherwiz

I have a 1979 Buick Le Sabre Turbo Sport Coupe, Carburated model-4Bbl, Nice car given to me by my Brother in Law (Single owner) Cannot get any spark so I began my quest to get it to fire doing common sense things ... Here is what I have done thus far to attampt to resolve no spark problem:

1: Replaced Coil
2: Replaced Rotor
3: Replaced spark plugs and wires
4: Replaced ignition module & condenser
5: Cleaned all connectors and checked wire continuity

Here is what I know: I have power to BATT terminal, wiring is correct and complete ... checked and re-checked that. Have followed standard ohm-meter testing procedures for all components and everything appears "Normal" and I am at a loss of what to do next ... pickup coil would be on the list but it too tested O.K. or should I replace anyway to eliminate causes?

I do not believe this car had a computer-control, anyone have input on that? If it does, where wold it be located?

I have seen a reference in another thread about a CCCI fuse and a crank sensor... I have to check that yet, if my car even has either of those for I don't know if they are on my model or if they are items used on later models.

Question: TheTurbo Control Center...is it needed for car to run or not? Do these units go bad? Could it be jumpered out to test ignition sequence?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Have pics posted on my website ... if you want link, let me know.

Thanks!

Peter

I think I maybe should have posted this in the NON SFI section ... I will duplicat there ... If moderators could please please delet it from this section that would be great!

1979 was final year for the HEI distributor using a vacumn cannister, because of the constant movement the wires to the pick-up coil inside the distributor break connection inside the insulation(green&tan colored I believe), pull distributor cap and give each wire a gentle tug to feel if stretchy(broken internally) use to be very common in the Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles due to the extreme amount of vacumn advance they used then(emission era), good luck.

Kevin.

1979 was final year for the HEI distributor using a vacumn cannister, because of the constant movement the wires to the pick-up coil inside the distributor break connection inside the insulation(green&tan colored I believe), pull distributor cap and give each wire a gentle tug to feel if stretchy(broken internally) use to be very common in the Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles due to the extreme amount of vacumn advance they used then(emission era), good luck.

Kevin.

Tested, again with ohm meter, the pickup coil and it tested O.K. ... may just replace anyway to eliminate another factor. Thanks for the quick reply Kevin ... anyone else?

Have you checked to see if the distributor rotor spins when the engine is cranked? Pull the cap off and either have an assistant crank the engine over while you watch or vice-versa. Either way if the rotor isn't spinning when cranked over, that's the start of your troubles.

Kevin.

Told him pretty much the same thing in the other thread Kevin. One thing most people don't consider is the ignition switch though. It has a seperate set of contacts for run and start. Turn the key to the on position and jump the starter to see if it has spark. If not then it's most likely the ignition switch.

BTW, the last year for non CCC is 80.:biggrin: 81 was the first year for the CCC system.

Check ign fuse and if good run your own 12v wire to the dist and re-check for spark.

+

All of the above + check and double check your ground-take the coil out and make sure the ground wire is under the screw and tight.If you have to experiment with jumper wire for ground and 12 + to get the coil to fire..:D