Advice needed: 1979 Buick LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe - No Spark :(

The big question is how the knock sensor is sensed. If the later ESC changes the signal to a useable one can it be tied in and used instead of the original accellerameter design?

The big question is how the knock sensor is sensed. If the later ESC changes the signal to a useable one can it be tied in and used instead of the original accellerameter design?

well its based on a count of pulses... the reason it was an accelerometer early on was because the piezo element had not been perfected yet. while later knock sensors have a frequency vs pulses. However, I had already made the plans to eliminate that section of the board. the plan is to only use the "logic" section of the the original ESC unit and combine it wth the avilability of the newer ESC board.

A.j.

no worrys... i spent half an hour on it last night and mapped about 2 square inches without too may problems...

but again... those bastard chips are gonna be hard... theres only 2.... cause all the other little ones were voltage regs. but the mighty huntron machine should tell all of its secrets. !

A.j.

After looking at a whole bunca GM patents I sent a letter off to 2 retires GM engineers that are on one of the patents ... sent them pics of the board and explained that there is a need for a aftermarket replacement and that there is a need also to know the various functions of the IC's that are on the boards .... and/or a useful schematic and/or if they could put us in touch with anyone that had past or working knowledge of the boards ... the way I look at it, it never hurts to ask cause you never know the rely you'll get til you ask. So, we shall await results.

Peter

After looking at a whole bunca GM patents I sent a letter off to 2 retires GM engineers that are on one of the patents ... sent them pics of the board and explained that there is a need for a aftermarket replacement and that there is a need also to know the various functions of the IC's that are on the boards .... and/or a useful schematic and/or if they could put us in touch with anyone that had past or working knowledge of the boards ... the way I look at it, it never hurts to ask cause you never know the rely you'll get til you ask. So, we shall await results.

Peter

That's a great idea Peter. I wonder why no one else has tried to do this before. The logic circuits shouldn't be that hard to duplicate now so I don't see why we can't make one work. The box was built in the stone age after all.:biggrin:

That's a great idea Peter. I wonder why no one else has tried to do this before. The logic circuits shouldn't be that hard to duplicate now so I don't see why we can't make one work. The box was built in the stone age after all.:biggrin:

because GM electronics are not well thought out.

yea, the tech is simple... but they made alot of demands from early electronics.... kinda like its easier to smash a square peg through a round hole then to cut the hole square.

A.j.