Advice needed: 1979 Buick LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe - No Spark :(

Well doesn't look like it's a turbo carb. THe number isn't listed and I keep coming up with 76 monte every time a google it. Here's the number just in case I'm wrong... 17056228

does it have the center vac port on the base plate?

We should start a thread titled "ESC project" now that we got a visible circuit board

we will see if AJ makes one to show us his progress, but i feel it wont be a over night thing. i dont know much about electronics but it must take a while to just get the parts. i dont know

C'mon guys!

This started as a thread for a 'no-start' condition and now we're swapping carb pics from a parts car. I'm with the thread starter. Let's move on to an 'ESC' topic or start one specifically for this ESC idea these guys are working on.

Just an suggestion. :frown:

It has a big port and 1 small port to the right of it

Look under the fuel inlet Jesse. there should be a tube directly under it. That's the power valve channel.

C'mon guys!

This started as a thread for a 'no-start' condition and now we're swapping carb pics from a parts car. I'm with the thread starter. Let's move on to an 'ESC' topic or start one specifically for this ESC idea these guys are working on.

Just an suggestion. :frown:

How many people with ADD does it take to change a light bulb.....

Oh look, a chicken.:biggrin: LOL

back to the ignition thing......

for the mean time.... do you know how to bypass the ESC, so you can check for spark?

hook the white and black wires together that are in the plug for the ESC box. jump with a paperclip or so and you should see spark if the distributor is good.

A.j.

:eek:
back to the ignition thing......

for the mean time.... do you know how to bypass the ESC, so you can check for spark?

hook the white and black wires together that are in the plug for the ESC box. jump with a paperclip or so and you should see spark if the distributor is good.

A.j.

AJ: yup, I did the bypass and got spark, so it runs. Now, here's the killer .. I got my 79 Buick service manuals and previously in this thread I mentioned a little relay mounted on the inside drivers side fender wall and asked if it could possibly be related to the ESC ... no one seemed to answer that question ...:mad:

Now, in the manuals, it says in one of the troubleshooting steps to "check the ESC relay o mounted on ... yup, you guessed it, the inside drivers side fender wall! Just DAMN!:eek: Now I am wondering if my ESC was actually good!?!:eek: The relay, apparently, completes the power circuit for the ESC and activates when you turn on the ignition! I am so kicking myself in the butt right now!:redface: On the bright side, you just may be getting a freed from it's goop and working ESC to reverse engineer! Just Damn again!

Peter

LOL It happens to all of us at one time or another. All it means is that Aj has one to work from and if it's good then he can figure it out that much easier now. He may even be able to put it all back together again and send it back to you.

well the part that might screw us is where you cut the knock sensor cable. it was a specific ohm shielded cable. im not sure if i will be able to duplicate that part but its of no big loss.

I think this works out fine, I will send you mine and I have yours... that way we both have a GOOD ESC unit... the only difference is mine cannot be opened and looked at. its completly filled with conformal coating.

so no worrys man, we will be just fine!

A.j.

well the part that might screw us is where you cut the knock sensor cable. it was a specific ohm shielded cable. im not sure if i will be able to duplicate that part but its of no big loss.

I think this works out fine, I will send you mine and I have yours... that way we both have a GOOD ESC unit... the only difference is mine cannot be opened and looked at. its completly filled with conformal coating.

so no worrys man, we will be just fine!

A.j.

I still got the cables sitting on my bench ... if ya want'em I send them on to you also.

Peter

It occured to me that if you can figure out the ESC circuit you could adapt it to the later design by using the 87 ESC unit Aj. It may not be feasible but if you can that would mean a better knock sensor to use. A seperate ESC from the timing controls would be a good thing for these cars.

I GOT THE BOARD!!!!!!

lemme say man..... this is gooooood stuff! im excited to get to looking around on the card!

from what I can tell, we can make this board WAY smaller.... its a single side single pole board... (means negative on both sides)

if we converted this over to a modern multi-layer board it should compact down to about a 2x3 square.

anyways...

Peter: sory it took so long, apprently i got the box last week... but the fed ex guy had left it on the front porch when nobody was home.... i never go through the front door! LOL always through the garage.
so sorry on the delay...

I should have your ESC unit out tomorrow!

A.j.

I had wondered what happened Aj. Glad to know the mad scientist has it now and if you can figure out how the ESC circuit works then we can use a seperate ESC to translate the knock signal with the better knock sensor. I really do hope this works.

no worrys... i spent half an hour on it last night and mapped about 2 square inches without too may problems...

but again... those bastard chips are gonna be hard... theres only 2.... cause all the other little ones were voltage regs. but the mighty huntron machine should tell all of its secrets. !

A.j.