Advice needed: 1979 Buick LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe - No Spark :(

Pics of ESC / Turbo Control Circuit Board

Here are the pics of the ESC after removing it from it's confines ... weird stuff that it was packed in ... some sort of flexible resin mixed with silica sand.

The IC's are not marked Motorola or anything like that ... they all, with the exception of one, say DELCO on them. Capacitor values are easily readable ..resister values are easily calculated. The transistors are all of the same type and readable ... in fact many of the components are easiy readable as seen in the pics .... cross referencing may be the problem.

I would be more than happy to send this to A.J. for him to analyze. That still leaves me without a ESC for my LeSabre ... so my hunt continues. AJ, if your interested, let me know I can UPS it out to you. You can contact me via personal e-mail to arrange: pvenlet@sbcglobal.net ... anyway, on to the pics:

ESCtp.jpg

ESCbt.jpg

Aj will be on in the morning so I'm sure he'll ask for it. The rubery substance is a silicone substance and the "sand" is after it has become rotten. Kind of a silicon heat sink at this point.

It would be awesome to figure out how to speed up the timing retard. Just think how much more accurate the timing would be and how much smoother acceleration would be. Better yet, how about making the WOT timing ADJUSTABLE!

If you can draw out a schematic , even though we do not know at this time what P/N’s are the IC’s. We can figure that out by how they are connected .

Ok kool... we have made it!

FlyFisherWiz: I have a good ESC box here myself, why dont I lend you the box and you send me what you have in the pictures.

Hopefully I can offer a repop unit soon. just by the looks of the board though, I see the 5 smaller voltage regulators, 2 5816 processors and a SCR.
it actually looks fairly simple, a basic logic circuit that simply "counts" knock pulses and gives a 0-5V signal that relates to timing for the 5 pin hei.

Hard part is going to be straighting out that board layout....... it might increase in size, or even just go to multilayer, but it will be much easier to trace than that engineering blob.

LOL

Cheers!

A.j.

Sweet AJ! Will do ... I think I posted my e-mail address in a previous post ... send me you address through there or PM me here with it and I willpackage and send out UPS today. I cut the wiring harness off but I left enough wiring intact on the board so one can see what wires go to where on the board.

Peter

Did you get out there to see if there was an ESC available for me :) or any other parts for folks here might need ?

I did get out there this morning. Just got back. I never searched the inside of the car for other parts yet. The distributor, esc box, upper radiator shroud, turbo, and air intake were not there. THat doesn't mean some stuff might not be in the car which I wouldn't be surprised if they are. I know the turbo is gone for sure. They cut the up and down pipes to get it off. If the turbo and plenum was there I would have grabbed the whole engine. BUT,
I DID GET THE CARB! Anybody need one? I'm sure it would need rebuilt but the inside did look clean.

FlyFisherWiz: I have a good ESC box here myself, why dont I lend you the box and you send me what you have in the pictures.

Hopefully I can offer a repop unit soon. just by the looks of the board though, I see the 5 smaller voltage regulators, 2 5816 processors and a SCR.
it actually looks fairly simple, a basic logic circuit that simply "counts" knock pulses and gives a 0-5V signal that relates to timing for the 5 pin hei.

Hard part is going to be straighting out that board layout....... it might increase in size, or even just go to multilayer, but it will be much easier to trace than that engineering blob.

LOL

Cheers!

A.j.

Welll see if you can adapt it to the later knock sensor like the 83 and up Aj. That would be a much better control than the early one. This is very good news for all of us now.:cool:

I did get out there this morning. Just got back. I never searched the inside of the car for other parts yet. The distributor, esc box, upper radiator shroud, turbo, and air intake were not there. THat doesn't mean some stuff might not be in the car which I wouldn't be surprised if they are. I know the turbo is gone for sure. They cut the up and down pipes to get it off. If the turbo and plenum was there I would have grabbed the whole engine. BUT,
I DID GET THE CARB! Anybody need one? I'm sure it would need rebuilt but the inside did look clean.

Have you checked the numbers on it yet Jesse?:confused:

No I haven't. I can't remember where they are. Can you tell me where they are and what number I'm looking for?

LOL

Cheers!

A.j.

i sent you a pm yesterday to make sure you know he will send it to you. i guess you got the msg. i can wait to see what you come up with.

who much do you want for the carb.

well a new knock sensor is a definite, but that will be one of the harder parts of the retrofit. as the frequincy of the newer knock sensors is way higher and faster than the old stuff... its like comparing a nintendo to a playstation.

While I will aim to reproduce units for stock and restoration use, I will mainly concentrate on modifying for performance use. elimination of the old knock is step one, step two will be an elimination of the CRAPPY stock 5 pin hei module, and third will be to develop an interface with the MSD BTM6.

in the end, total and complete timing control at a speed thats able to save us.

the future is now.

A.j.