Adjustable actuators

bakerlaw67

BQQSTED
What's the going price for a wastegate actuator? I want to hack mine into an adjustable, but I want a non-adjustable for restoration purposes.

Don't cut up your original yet. All replacement actuators were adjustable. It's actuallty harder to find the non-adjustables.

This place listed them on their website before, but I don't know if they actually have them:
http://www.bramall-turbo.com/

Just another thought. You could either add an external spring along the rod so it takes a few psi more to open it.

OR

I have my actautor so short it doesn't do anything but hold the WG closed (it never opens). I think the stock downpipe limits you to about 12 psi tops and at that level I don't see any knock (on 93 octane). You could hold it completely shut with something liek a turnbuckle. You risk overboosting, but if you have a good boost gauge and can monitor knock, you know if that's a problem or not.

That's a relief valve. It's list for 50 pounds on that website which is ~$75.:eek:

You can make it for about $20 following the directions on TurboGus Mahon's Website. http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus4/boostcontrol.html

If you go to Gus's opening page, you unfortunately find he was killed in a motorcycle accident. :( Gus was the guy with the 13 second Turbo Minivan. http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus/index.html

Turbo-Rich, I wish I could figure out why I can only get 14 psi while you can get 17. Do you still have the factory downpipe???

Originally posted by b4black
That's a relief valve. It's list for 50 pounds on that website which is ~$75.:eek:

I bought one of the older models he isn't offering anymore.
It was like $25 or so as I remember it.
The new ones he has for sale are "Hybrid".
I don't see where they would have that much advantage over a "regular" controller for the extra dough?
I have the instructions to build one just like it (reg.)for roughly $12 thru McAster's. I just wanted to see a working model first. It's a very simple piece. One will eventually make way to Tonya's T I'm sure.

Oh btw, I have those sites you posted on my favorites too;)

Originally posted by b4black

Turbo-Rich, I wish I could figure out why I can only get 14 psi while you can get 17. Do you still have the factory downpipe???

I was having that problem before I used sealer on my up pipe this last time.
Before that I was stuck around 12-14#'s also. Don't you remember me posting about that? It's been a long time ago.
You told me then (basically) how restricted the intake & exhaust systems are & how that was probabley limiting max. boost.
That got me thinking & I removed the restrictive stock air cleaner ass. & put on an open element air cleaner. I cut my exhaust completely off right before the cat. so its completely open. Surprisingly it isn't too loud that way & there is NO backpressure. I also removed the a/c comp. & smog pump (& acc.) to free up some HP. I'll eventually lose the power steering & heater core garbage someday.
I also lightly "ported" the intake & I polised the inside of the carb. plenum.
Anyway, have you tried alc.injection yet?
That drove the boost up 1 to 2 #'s alone.
I'm also running a lot of timing & a rich fuel mixture even at 17 #'s.

The open-air element has one problem. The Engine will be sucking in warm under hood air. Reworking the carb.hat and a Cold air intake may be better. I have found since I installed the hood scoop it has limited the times I can drive it, no rain, etc.

Has for Alky, I am running it 19-20 # of boost on 93 octane. My own progressive, pump speed setup.

Turbo-Rich I see you have removed your smog pump and accessories how well did that work? I was thinking hard about trying to get rid of mine.( I am not using the cat air injection or the piece that connects to the air filter box.)

Originally posted by fc227
The open-air element has one problem. The Engine will be sucking in warm under hood air. Reworking the carb.hat and a Cold air intake may be better. I have found since I installed the hood scoop it has limited the times I can drive it, no rain, etc.

I agree,
I had the open air element lying around & couldn't resist throwing it on. I believe it works lots better than the stock set up but only because that's so restrictive. I'll (prob) eventually put the stock one back on once I decide what direction I am going in next.
I plan on trying something different. I'd like to seal the bonnet so I could use it with this "cold air injection" set up I've been working on or possibley even for B.T. use on a part time "over-under" set up.
I've been tight lipped about my future plans here on the board because they are very un-conventional & currently under developement, which is going slower than heck btw.
I really don't want to misslead anyone with an idea that I haven't tested myself. It would probabley spark more arguements than new prospectives.

Originally posted by buick83-T
Turbo-Rich I see you have removed your smog pump and accessories how well did that work? I was thinking hard about trying to get rid of mine.( I am not using the cat air injection or the piece that connects to the air filter box.)

Sorry it took me so long to answer your post.

I haven't had any problems since I removed all that stuff.
If you look at some really fast IC cars you'll notice they don't run the stuff either. But like you, I wasn't using any of it anyway & it was all in SAD shape. The air lines were full of rust:eek:
I couldn't see just letting it piggy back a free ride on my turbo motor. Plus it's LOTS easier to get around the engine compartment & lots cleaner looking also.
The only negative effect I can tell you about is that the "check engine light" comes on occasionally. No diff. in driveability when the light is on tho.
B4black mentioned something about the PEVC(?):confused:
Maybe he can inform us more about that aspect?
I still have all the parts boxed up. I should weigh them just to see how many lbs. were saved.
I am sure the pump takes up some HP to run also.
Personally, If I had a TB that ran perfectly with the smog stuff hooked up, I wouldn't get rid of it just because. Every action has a reation+Murphy's law=:eek: . If it's not working anyway I'd rather get it out of the way & keep things as simple as possible under MY hood.