adding a moon/astroroof

TireFryer

The New Kid
I just found a mint moon/astro roof from an 85 car, and I want to install in on my hardtop car My question is if anyone has installed a moon/astro roof on their hardtop car, and what problems you encountered? Also, any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. TIA :)

To do it correctly would require replacement of the entire roof panel where it is seamed together.....that being at the tops of the windshield pillars and just below the side edges of the roof at the tops of the rear quarters near the quarter windows.
A very time consuming and costly job if you were to pay a body shop to do it. But it is definitely a viable option for some of the t top car owners who want a solid roof car.

Like GNVAIR said you would have to replace the whole roof. If you decied this is something you want to do I have a roof still on the car that I would sell cheap.

hehe...thanx for the advice, but I don't think I stated my question clearly....I am NOT replacing the ENTIRE roof panel... I just got the "glass, the slider, the motor and the switch" parts. I meant in regards to cutting a hole in the roof and putting in the MECHANICAL moonroof...not the WHOLE roof panel :p

The is no way to do that. The factory astro roof had a "stamped" opening and added reinforcements that are welded to the underside, plus the provisions for drain tubes. The only way to do it is to replace the roof panel. If you want a power moon roof, you can try to find an ASC type as they are installed by cutting a hole in the existing panel, but they are no where near the quality of the factory astro roof.

I don't know what all goes into the process,but go to specialty shop and see about the price. The reason I say this is because you might be better of buying a new sunroof. One with a warranty etc,etc,etc... I had a electric Hollandia installed and love it. I needed a new headliner, and I'm not gonna sell the car, so I said go for it. They used the old headliner pieces for the sliding shade. 850.00 bucks, but well worth it in my opinion.

also to GNVAIR> I think you might change if you saw this sunroof. It's got the drain tubes, retracts into the roof(not outside on top) # year warranty. Very good piece. Jace

if I did it I would do the whole roof....I like the factory style (no moulding):cool:

I am with Grumpy on this one. If I did it, I would do the whole roof just so I could use the factory sunroof assembly as it is by far the cleanest install and wont kill the value of the car.

I've done it!

I wrecked my car pretty bad in 1994. I ended up back-halfing the car and also installing a top from an 85 Regal with an astroroof. Everything went pretty good. I ended up running the front drain tubes back out to exit with the rear drains. The only problem that I had with the new roof was that I could never get the wind noise adjusted out of the driver's window.

Check out the pics!

http://home.mmcable.com/gnx445/gn.htm

It's like GNVAIR and Grumpy have tried to tell you. It's not as easy or strait forward as you might like to think. I've got an 86 with the factory Astroroof, and when I had to pull the headliner out to replace the astroroof's gasket, I was amazed at all the extra reinforcements, etc. that are up in there. :eek:

I'd definately have it professionally installed, and a new one at that, so you could get some kind of warranty.

I've got an astroroof equipped GN and a T-Topped Camaro. Sufice it to say, I've owned my LAST glass topped car of any kind!!! They leak, squeek, etc. sooner or later they all do it.

now Dave come on!!! just remember a nice day cruising with the tops out or the roof open :) kinda makes up for the rattles an squeeks;)