Adapting modern GM ESC?

flyfisherwiz

Has anyone ever tried to adapt a modern GM ESC controller to any of their cars like the one pictured below?

ESCmodule.gif

Pins on this module, that I know, are (from left to right)

1: Knock Sensor Input
2: Ground
3: Output - presumably to ICM
4: 12V input
5: unknown as of yet

Just curious.

Peter

I got a call after you posted it Peter. Pin 5 does nothing and can be ignored. The 86 and 87 are the best and the 87 seems to be the one you want. The 83 can use them because it's CCC along with the 82. The earlier ones have the ESC built into the little black box.

Modern i guess is a relative term, since that looks like it is from the 1980's. :wink:

I have that ESC module like that on my 1983 TR (stock). It also uses a piezo knock sensor. Same parts up as the 84/87 Turbo V6. 1978-82 used a accelerometer for a knock sensor.

This ESC module just translates the knock sensor output to the ECM. The ECM does the timing retard. The Tubro Control Center on the 1978/80 engines did all the functions. The module in the picture will only do half the job.

You could run a peizo knock sensor, ESC module and a Caspers knock gauge without the ECM. It would not reatrd timing, but would display knocks.

The 86 and 87 are the best and the 87 seems to be the one you want. The 83 can use them because it's CCC along with the 82.

1983 through 1987 use the same module, with the same number stamped on them. The 1981 and 1982 have their own modules that work with the accelerometers.

1983 through 1987 use the same module, with the same number stamped on them. The 1981 and 1982 have their own modules that work with the accelerometers.

Well according to one of the members here I was talking to when Peter posted the 87 is different. He's a friend of Norbs and is an electrical engineer doing research on making his 86 faster. He's also looking at whether the set up Petesbuick made will adapt better. He knows his electronics, believe me.:biggrin:

sounds like an Electronics Cold War.

everybody is trying to out develop each other.

he with most cash will win this conflict.

A.j.

Well if he's a friend of Norb's that changes everything...(sorry I don't know who Norb is).

1987 does indeed uses a different part number. 1983/86 uses 16022614. I would bet the differeance between a 87 and 1983/86 are trivial compared to the Turbo Control Center. Whichever module you use, it won't retard timing on it's own.

The easiest way to adapt one of these to a1978/80 might be to get a 1985-ish ECM, wiring, sensors and distrbiutor off a 3.8 2-bbl and convert the spark system over. I bet that could be done in an afternoon for very little money.

Then I'm out. I'm a cheap skate. :)

I like to keep it simple. Best bang for buck, money and time-wise. (I wish I had more of each!)

well in the course of devlopment I meant.... but the investment will be worth it if the product turns out well.... a simple and cheap plug and play unit could wipe out any other forms of ignition control and make cobbled units obsolete.

A.j.

LOL I'm suprised you never heard of Norbs, Rich. His sig is just funny. "Home of the 13 second stage II flop!" He's a knuck in Ontario and reallly seems to be making progress with his projects. He posts mostly on TBs.com and has adapted a distributor to the stock 87 system with out to much modification.