AC heat shield, is it necessary?

Jay J

I was just reading another thread about removing the passenger side valve cover. Seems like the heat shield can get in the way, especially with the tall valve covers. How many of you have removed it entirely? Any negative results?

TIA

Jay

Even though I ended up not having to remove mine, I did try, just for a short time. There is no way it was coming out with the head in place! It has too may curves and bends to get it up out of there. But luckily I didn't need it out after all.

There's a screw in the bottom attaching it to the AC box as well.

Took mine out last year, hardest part was getting the screw on the bottom out but I got it. Much easier to work on and have not noticed any negative results. Go for it.

I like the idea of having a shield there.....

But in the cause of this part it's not really a shield, it's an absorber!! Since its black, it's going to covert radiant energy from the engine/DP INTO heat. For it to reflect the long wave radiation, it would need to be light colored or shiny.

When I needed to remove my heater box a few months ago, I left the shield off because I wasn't going to pull the engine to put it back on. I have been thinking about lining my heater box with shiny HVAC tape though.

Well, as it is, I'm only running about half of the shield right now. I had to trim the bottom part of it off, because the tall valve cover that I needed for roller rockers actually touched the shield which vibrated it like a big metal speaker cone--it was awful! Cutting the part that touched the VC solved that problem, but now I think I will just ditch the whole thing... Thanks to all who responded.

Mine has been out a year. Yes the bottom screw is a PITA, however a long screw driver and hammer took care of the screw.

I replaced the metal shield with that foil backed fabric they use as a heat shield on turbos. Just sprayed adhesive on it and stuck it in place.

Here's shot of it behind the wire conduit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 170
I had to figure out which way way was up :LOL: But- I think that would do a better job than a piece of black sheet metal, as astutely noted by Earl, above.. Thanks for posting!

Jay

I have made many 10.50 runs without it for several years with no problem - AC still cold with R-12.

Mine has been out a year. Yes the bottom screw is a PITA, however a long screw driver and hammer took care of the screw.

Just did this today to make room for new valve covers. Also removed the AC evaporator and lines since the lines leak and with t-tops I will never repair it anyways.

The THDP is about 1/2" from the AC box, hopefully it won't melt without the shield there.