ac condenser as trans cooler?

MNwe4

The search function appears to have been down for a couple days, so forgive me if this information is already out there. I highly doubt I'll ever spend the money to repair and charge the ac system since summers in MN are pretty mild and I enjoy the windows down. At this point I'm in need of a larger/better transmission cooler than I currently have. With the condenser and my front mount on both sides of the core support cross bars, there appears to only be enough room for a 3/4" thick cooler in front of the condenser before contact would be made with the cross bars.

Has anyone ever tried flushing the condenser and using it as a very large trans cooler? I'm pretty sure the answer may be that it has too much flow restriction, but I thought I'd ask. If that won't work then approximately how much space will be gained by removing the ac condenser?

That would make a nice trans cooler. But with a front mount it'd get sandwiched with the radiator.
They all need a fan.

D

I converted my AC condenser to transmission cooler two years ago. Works great!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1434664523.176150.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I converted my AC condenser to transmission cooler two years ago. Works great!
View attachment 256702

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Did you cut and flare the fittings on the condenser or find fittings to work? I see soft lines from the trans lines but then connect to hose barbs which end up wrapped up. Are you monitoring trans temp and at what location (pan?) and what type of converter do you have?

I wanted to try this instead of ordering a better trans cooler, but too many people I spoke to asked me why I would want to risk my expensive trans on a 28 year old condenser that hasn't been charged or used in many years. They're probably right, but it would have been interesting to know how well it worked with a non lock spragless converter making a bunch of heat.