About to lose it with this

BIGJOE

okay just trying to tighten the 3 bolts on the inside my steering so it would be loose read all the directions says remove the steering wheel but or some reason it is held on by something more powerull then everything in the universe i used a gear puller to try to remove it yes rigged but trust me there so much tension on the wheel and it wont come off am i doing something wrong im so confused.

Capture.jpg

You need to find a puller that has slots in it and put two bolts into the threaded holes next to the steering shaft.

I would go buy a steering wheel puller. It bolts into the threads in the wheel and will put more force than your setup. Good try though :D

would it make that much of a diffrence there is insane amount of tension pulling on the wheel. it should pop off

only problem is steer wheel pullers arent readily available in england. ive looked many places no luck

Why not using the steering wheel puller kit , it bolts on to the center of ur wheel instead of try to pull it from the side this will give u much more leverage i did mine came out easily .

i had one that seemed stuck on before too. heres what i did.
1. put a pillow between the steering wheel and you.
2. apply tension to the wheel by pulling on it.
3. a quick blast to the centerbolt with a pointy tip air hammer.

it will be off in about 3 seconds.
if you are looking for a more country, toothless look, dont use the pillow.

I've used a cheap flaring tool to pull a steeing wheel in the past. The Part that holds the tubing. The hole spacing on it was right for the wheel and I was able to thread in two bolts. I don't remember what I put in between the flaring tool and the center. Probably a socket. It was about 15 years ago but it worked.

i had one that seemed stuck on before too. heres what i did.
1. put a pillow between the steering wheel and you.
2. apply tension to the wheel by pulling on it.
3. a quick blast to the centerbolt with a pointy tip air hammer.

it will be off in about 3 seconds.
if you are looking for a more country, toothless look, dont use the pillow.

Leave the nut on loose... Then the pillow is not used....:rolleyes:

You should use the pulley that wantattype2 shows....your set-up is causing the hole in the center of the steering wheel to actually go out of round as the pull contact points are far apart from the center hole of the steering whell, thus making that hole tighter against the center shaft..............there's a reason why the two threaded holes on the steering wheel for pulling are very close to that center shaft......the pulling forces are very close to the shaft, thus the hole in the steering wheel stays concentric (round) and it comes off easily..............just get that pulley puller on eBay, you'll be happy you did...................just my honest opinion.

Bruce '87 Grand National

thanks for the advice guys i ordered one off amazon get it in like 8 days Blah. oh well guess ill have to figure out a way to get it into my garage now cause when i was trying to get teh steering wheel off i gave the column a good yank and the whole thing came apart. hahahahah the 3 screws arent holding anything anymore

okay just trying to tighten the 3 bolts on the inside my steering so it would be loose read all the directions says remove the steering wheel but or some reason it is held on by something more powerull then everything in the universe i used a gear puller to try to remove it yes rigged but trust me there so much tension on the wheel and it wont come off am i doing something wrong im so confused.

Capture.jpg

LOL...what is that? Chain-link fence wire?

here is a project I have a lot of experience with as almost every car I bought and sold I had to remove the wheel to re screw the 3 little mini screws even on low mielage cars..its like the guy in charge at the Buick plant put them in finger tight....

You need one of those simple wheel pullers as shown in earlier post from any auto store....some wheels are tighter than others but that is the easiest method.

here is a quick similar story....happened on the early C5 Corvettes....seems like the gu in charge of clamping the cables to the batteries always snugged them alittle past specs....

what happened is down the road the battery case would split and the battery acid would get on the ecm or some computer part that was located near the battery in the C5 Corvettes and cause problems....(true story)....

Here are some other things that may be lose on your car..rearview mirror, and pwoer trunk release solenoid....tow more common problems you can easily fix.....the windows in the doors is a whole new issue!

good luck

denniskirban@yahoo.com

THERE ARE 4 TORX BOLTS UNDER THE TILT HOUSING. YOU ALSO NEED A PIVIT PIN PULLER TO REMOVE THE TILT HOUSING...DEPENDING HOW LONG THE BOLTS WERE LOOSE, THE LOWER COLLAR THAT THE BOLTS RIDE AGAINST CAN SOMETIMES CRACK,(IT CAN BE WELDED) BUT A PIA..UNLESS YOU DIS-ASSEMBLE THE COLUMN, YOU WILL NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A CRACK IN THE LOWER TUBE.GOOD LUCK WITH THE REPAIR, ANY QUESTIONS OR ISSUES, FELL FREE TO ASK...