? about column shift collar

turbosam6

My cars suck
I have the collar disconnected because the tach is mounted there. I noticed on my direct scan that it thinks the car is in P/N all the time. Is that because the collar is disconnected? Will it bother anything? Thanks!

I bet you can start the car with the shifter in any gear,correct?That's a safety feature GM built into the cars.Does your car still register the different gears for the LV8 calculations as you drive down the road?You might be confusing the computer[thinking the car's in park and 3rd at the same time].Ever throw a code?

Yep, I can start it in any gear, but I know why. No codes thrown, but I'm not sure about the lv8 calculations. How do I tell? I can tell you that the lv8 numbers change as I go down the track. Is it hurting the car?

Hey Sam....

There are 2 switches down on the column. One tells the ECM when you're in park or neutral, the other is your reverse light switch. To solve it simply unplug the connector (s) (top of column, White half moon shaped thing down by the fire wall wraps around the top of the column).

When in park or neutral the ECM sets a different idle mode. Other than that it effects nothing. You could leave it and it won't effect anything other than idle. I just got through discussing this with J. Spina on mine. I'd just unplug it and forget it.