A Cheaper Roller Cam

thewoodieb

Woodie
I have been going insane about the fact a hydraulic roller cam cost's over a thousand dollars! Why??!!:confused: On another note to all of the major cam producers?(COMP, Crane) WHY DON'T YOU MAKE A FLAT TAPPET LIFTER THAT WILL LAST?! :mad: Every flat tappet cam made goes out in about 4 runs. A lot of spring pressure and crappy materials. So what can you do for us?:confused: Thanks guys!

P.S. A little more duration for that extra POP would be nice too. Not everyone runs the 4.3!!!

Full Throttle's kit is complete and well under $1k...

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Kit Configuration Page

By the time you're done getting everything for a flat tappet setup (new cam, lifters, pushrods, valvesprings, cam button) there's around a $400 difference or so. If you're killing a flat tappet in 4 runs, you're doing something else wrong anyway, it's not the cams.

Awesome.

Full Throttle's kit is complete and well under $1k...

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Kit Configuration Page

By the time you're done getting everything for a flat tappet setup (new cam, lifters, pushrods, valvesprings, cam button) there's around a $400 difference or so. If you're killing a flat tappet in 4 runs, you're doing something else wrong anyway, it's not the cams.

WHAT!:eek: I see some 200 dollar price tags, does that include the lifters? If not the one kit I see is around 800 bucks, with shipping and handling it still isn't that great of a deal. I guess it's a kit in low demand, so people can just charge whatever they want, because people have to have it either way. As for the flat tappet cam, I have never installed one on any of my cars. NCTURBOS will tell you, that the higher spring pressure applied to handle more at higher RPM boost-age puts a lot of stress on these tappets. They were hardened for naturally asperated cars, they need a little more strength for forced induction cars. That's why most supercharger cars run roller cams. Thanks! Let me know if the 200 dollar price tag includes everything(doubt it).:redface: Have a great weekend!

WHAT!:eek: I see some 200 dollar price tags, does that include the lifters? If not the one kit I see is around 800 bucks, with shipping and handling it still isn't that great of a deal. I guess it's a kit in low demand, so people can just charge whatever they want, because people have to have it either way. As for the flat tappet cam, I have never installed one on any of my cars. NCTURBOS will tell you, that the higher spring pressure applied to handle more at higher RPM boost-age puts a lot of stress on these tappets. They were hardened for naturally asperated cars, they need a little more strength for forced induction cars. That's why most supercharger cars run roller cams. Thanks! Let me know if the 200 dollar price tag includes everything(doubt it).:redface: Have a great weekend!

The kits for $800 are a deal when you think about what you get:
cam
lifters
valve springs
retainers and locks
pushrods

If you think thats bad, price a solid roller cam lol.

The kits for $800 are a deal when you think about what you get:
cam
lifters
valve springs
retainers and locks
pushrods

If you think thats bad, price a solid roller cam lol.

Yeah that's not a bad price, but I just found out the one for 1k is billet. So it's worth it. So if I do go with a roller I will go with the billet.

Yeah that's not a bad price, but I just found out the one for 1k is billet. So it's worth it. So if I do go with a roller I will go with the billet.

If you go with a hydro roller, there is no need for the billet imo. I'd go with one of FT's kits for under $800.

A cheap roller cam...

Ryan, the words cheap and/or budget very rarely have a place in street/race high HP applications. The turbo Buick world has been there & done that in the past.

The austempered roller cam kits seem to work fine for our cars, I'm just partial to the billet cores due to running them for so many years with no issues. I also build the kits the way I want them. IE. upraded pushrods, lifters, etc.

Fingers crossed Ryan, if/when you buy the blue car, you don't have to worry about a camshaft swap for your performance expectations.

K.

$800 isnt $hit for a roller conversion. To tell you the truth i dont know anyone who has used a flat cam in any high performance engine in 5 years. Its not the materials. Its the poorly engineered/machined block that has lifter placement issues coupled with todays $htty oils that causes failures.

Ya $800 is pretty good considering what you get and what it saves your motor from.

Ya $800 is pretty good considering what you get and what it saves your motor from.

That is why I went roller in mine. Check with Flatlander Racing. They got me the best price on my roller cam. It is a Comp 206.

I have been going insane about the fact a hydraulic roller cam cost's over a thousand dollars! Why??!!:confused: On another note to all of the major cam producers?(COMP, Crane) WHY DON'T YOU MAKE A FLAT TAPPET LIFTER THAT WILL LAST?! :mad: Every flat tappet cam made goes out in about 4 runs. A lot of spring pressure and crappy materials. So what can you do for us?:confused: Thanks guys!

P.S. A little more duration for that extra POP would be nice too. Not everyone runs the 4.3!!!

Sounds like you want a 'Budget' roller cam.:eek: You might want to re-think that.

Sounds like you want a 'Budget' roller cam.:eek: You might want to re-think that.

LOL! You would have to be on a strict budget to pay for the repairs to your engine that was wasted from all the metal going through it.

LOL! You would have to be on a strict budget to pay for the repairs to your engine that was wasted from all the metal going through it.

haha! isnt that the damn truth. Its like the guys who drop 10k on their engines and bitch about $12 a gallon for 116 so they cheap out on the fuel and risk throwin a rod through the side of the block... :confused: