A/C Delco O2 sensor Issue's?

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
By any chance is anyone else having issues with the A/C Delco O2 sensors?

I have two brand new in the box A/C Delco sensors (ACD# AFS22) and I gave one to Donnie Brooks for his T-Type and he said the numbers were 0.00 all the time so he gave it back and I swaped it out for the other one I had and he said that one done the same thing. So he put his old Bosh back in and it ended up reading high into the 900's WITHOUT any changes to the car.. So today before we went to the cruise in he stoped off at Advance Auto for a new A/C delco O2 sensor with the same part number (#AFS22) and when he installed it everything was fine, numbers all over the place and very active and reading 790's at WOT then on the way back home leaving our last stop he calls me saying that this one is now doing the same thing..... Can three brand new O2's be bad? Really?

Has anyone else had this happen? What else could possibly be causing this on his car?

Tomorrow I will be taking mine out and installing both of the ones I have and testing them on my car and see what happens.

SW.

I have not had good luck with the ac delco units at all in years... I dont even run race gas anymore (gotta love pump gas plus alky :D) I do drive my cars alot but I can't see all the sensors being crap, but it appears that way :(

Okay I went out and pulled the A/C delco sensor out of my car that is working perfectly and I also happened to save the package it came in and the numbers are different.

The one in my car working perfect is A/C delco part number #AFS-20 / GM # 25162693

The ones I had and also Donnie got from Advance were A/C delco part # AFS-22 / GM part# 19178953

And they also look different as well, The AFS-20 is rounded at the end of the O2 and the AFS-22 is flat and kind of squared off.

Here is the part numbers for stock A/C delco oxygen sensors:
(Stock) 25162693 (AFS-20)
(GNX) 25162753 (AFS-22)

Not sure if the GNX O2 would be any different (I wouldn't think so) but even the part number on my box don't match these records.. HMMMM.

Time to see if the AFS-22's do the same thing in my car as in Donnie's..

SW.

Okay, The AFS-22's I have that did not work in Donnies car DO NOT work in mine either so either the O2's are all bad OR the AFS-22's do not work properly in our cars as the AFS-20's do.

Not sure why this is happening but it seems to work fine untill WOT then the scanmaster goes to ALL 0's.

Put the one I had in it (AFS-20) back in and it works fine as it should... :confused:

Looks like a Wide band is the only way to go, The Hell with this narrow band crap!!

SW...

Its time... use the Denso from Advance or Autozone.

The AC Delco stuff is going to hell in a handbasket. No longer the purple wire sensors we used and never had issues with.

Hopefully somebody in the know can correct me on this but I always thought the AFS-20's were the stock piece, and the AFS-21's were a GNX part. I don't remember the application for the 22's.

But Razor makes a good point, you gotta be real carefull with the AC Delco stuff!!!! Much of it is now being produced in China, and some of the off the shelf pieces are total chinese conterfeit stuff!! I've seen it in some of the oil filters I've pulled off the shelf!! :eek:

Personally I much prefer a heated AC AFS-74. Never had a problem with them. I think I'm on my third one in the 15 years I've been using them. Scot you know what I think of Denso sensors;) but hey, lots of guys seem to like them.

The best combo, a good narrow band for part throttle control and a good wideband for WOT control. :biggrin:

I have always had great luck with the Bosch's. The last one I had was in the car for 6 years with a lot of leaded fuel going though it. It still worked perfect. I replaced it anyway and the new one read the same as the old one. Been using Bosch's for 12 years and never had an issue with them.

Now that you mention it, I think I used to have the same problem on my 84. Never thought it could have been the o2 sensor because it was new. Brand new ac delco unit. By the end of the track it was reading zeros and then would come back after I let off. Sometime back I switched to the denso brand from AZ and have never had that problem yet. Even ran race gas on mine and haven't killed it yet.

Now I have a wideband on mine, and I can finally really tune my car.

Jerry jr.

Yeah AC delco started using Bosch sensors a few tyears back. youll notice the new AC has a black wire and I belive it says bosch on it as well.

Best bet is to put a heated O2 in and be done.:cool:

Hopefully somebody in the know can correct me on this but I always thought the AFS-20's were the stock piece, and the AFS-21's were a GNX part. I don't remember the application for the 22's.

But Razor makes a good point, you gotta be real carefull with the AC Delco stuff!!!! Much of it is now being produced in China, and some of the off the shelf pieces are total chinese conterfeit stuff!! I've seen it in some of the oil filters I've pulled off the shelf!! :eek:

Personally I much prefer a heated AC AFS-74. Never had a problem with them. I think I'm on my third one in the 15 years I've been using them. Scot you know what I think of Denso sensors;) but hey, lots of guys seem to like them.

The best combo, a good narrow band for part throttle control and a good wideband for WOT control. :biggrin:
Dave I got those GNX & Stock t-type-GN part numbers off GNTYPE.ORG's website.

With further investigating I found out that part supply stores and GM as a matter of fact have replaced the AFS-20 with the AFS-22. They said the AFS-22 part number superceedes(spelling?) the old part number now..

I would steer clear of the A/C delco O2 sensors seeing this does seem to be the wonderfull work of CHINA! :mad:

Yeah AC delco started using Bosch sensors a few tyears back. youll notice the new AC has a black wire and I belive it says bosch on it as well.

Best bet is to put a heated O2 in and be done.:cool:
Both mine still have the purple wire! and say AC on them...

Mybe donnie will chime in with what color wire his was that he just bought from advance auto.

By any chance is anyone else having issues with the A/C Delco O2 sensors?..........SW.

Since many AC Delco parts are made in China, Mexico and other foreign lands, their products have become crap.

About 6-7 tears ago many problems with their spark plugs caused LOTS of grief, and have been avoiding them ever since.

I always used Delco replacement parts for the TR's for many years, but if it does not say "Made in USA", I pass on it. :)

I do notice lots of makers do not even list the source of their parts on the box or label, usually because it is NOT USA made.

I am a real PIA for the local parts places as I tell them, "if you order it in and it is made in China, I do not want it" :D

I'm having 02 isues since replacing my stock 02

Replaced 02 from old to new, and runs bad...

was going to buy ac delco, now seems denzo is the way to go

I have slightly tweaked, will denzo work for all TR GN's

Scott chime in when you have the results

Brett

Replaced 02 from old to new, and runs bad...

was going to buy ac delco, now seems denzo is the way to go

I have slightly tweaked, will denzo work for all TR GN's

Scott chime in when you have the results

Brett
Brett,

The denso will work just fine with all TR's/GN's. I used them in my old GN for years running race gas and they seemed to hold up well but some don't care for them.

Next I am going to try out the new o2 that DELPHI offers and see how it does.

Donnie Brooks just went back to a new BOSH and it seems to be working great.

How about NTK? Anyone try them? I like the NGK sparkplugs. I also have their wideband.

I want to do it once, what 02?

Next week Tuesday - I have appt to bring my car for other work and replace 02 --- with heated 02 or denzo.. what sensor should I use...????

Denzo 234-1001?

Heated 02 AFS74?

What other options are there & who sells them?

HEATED!!
Way better idle and low speed cruise O2 temps. Caspers has a kit that comes with harness and sensor.

In a nutshell there is a reason why teh OEMS started using heated o2 sensors.

Ordered HEATED 02 - Thank You...

Install Next week tuesday... we shall see what happens...

=============================
Product ID: CASP-102042
Heated Oxygen Sensor Kit 1986/1987

Plug-and-Play kit installs in minutes with NO wires to cut or splice. Plug-in wire harness included in this kit. Its a known fact that additives in high octane fuel will damage your O2 sensor and affect driveability in short order. Our heated O2 sensor kit prevents deposits from sticking by "burning off" deposits, making the sensor live a longer life. Additionally, a heated O2 sensor helps cut emissions by becoming active faster than a non-heated unit, getting your engine into "closed-loop" sooner. Kit includes our NTK four-wire sensor.

Price: $89.95

Buick Grand National, Electronics | Cotton's Performance Buick Grand National Parts & Service