9" cone location

hamer

Just want to know opinions on where to put the filter. directly off the MAF or on the 90' bend? i would think cooler air would get in better with the filter hangin down off the 90, right?

Thats what I did, dont know about getting colder charge(seems it would) but sounds mean once the turbo starts pulling air

Matt Wenning

I think the best place for the K&N is out of the HOT engine compartment & Mount it like a "Big mouth cold air kit",I have mine mounted like this here is some pics of it http://photos.yahoo.com/whatupdun445
It is pic #2 I have it mounted near the spoiler in front & at idle you can hear it sucking air LOUD!when your driving you can hear it sounds like a JET!

motorhead, is that pvc pipe? looks like it would work pretty good. what size filter is on the end of it though?

PVC pipe

Yes It is a piece of 3" PVC pipe it is then connected to a 3" elbow then to a K&N(I think it is 3" also) Im gonna wrap the PVC pipe in some Thermo-Thec High Heat Tape(to make it look nice)E-mail me if you need exact measurements on my "homemade cold air intake"

The filter belongs in the engine compartment. I work on some of the local TRs around here and you'd be surprised at what I've seen. One guy had an old ATR setup that mounted the filter down low, near the bumper. His turbo was super slow to spool. I got to checking things and the inlet bell was caked with a mud-like substance necking it down to about 1". Even the compressor wheel was coated which I didn't know was possible. Leave the filter in the engine compartment and run some ducting to it for cold air. I like the old Kenne Bell system which used 4" plumbing from the cold air source with a loose fitting cannister around the filter which was mounted to the MAF. It allowed dust and water to blow past the filter and it would be nearly impossible to hydrolock the motor with that setup.