87 TR shuts off during WOT shift

neat

I'm working on reviving an 87 TR that's been sitting for a few years. I've done the spring cleaning stuff, and have noticed that the engine shuts off during the 1-2 shift if I'm at WOT.

Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

Sounds electrical...start car and wiggle harness at;
Ecm
Battery (pos post and starter)
Ground (neg post, engine block under turbo)
Main bulkhead connectors under wiper motor
Fuse block
Orange ecm wire at battery
Also;
Try another battety
Battery cables touching down pipe
make sure chip and calpac seated in ecm
Ill post more as I think about it

Like garyk said - Orange ecm wire at battery
A prime suspect

Actually the connector
To test - wiggle and listen fort he fuel pump to come on and cut off.

Follow the hot wire from the battery to the started and see if you can find a burned spot from contacting the exhaust while subjected to G forces.

then get under the car and give the fuseable links a tug and see how many are broken off of the ring terminals.

There's grounds on the back of the passenger side head that like to get all oily and stuff too. When they act up it's generally not Gforce related though.

This is kind of embarrassing, but should this come up in someone's search down the road, I should report the fix to my problem.

The car was almost out of gas. Put some fuel in it, problem solved.

Wow...you lucked out. Full throttle pull and running out of fuel is not a desirable situation. Glad you found the issue.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Gas gauges on these cars are notoriously inaccurate.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This is kind of embarrassing, but should this come up in someone's search down the road, I should report the fix to my problem.

thanks for posting your fix.....(y) your initiation is complete , welcome to the club......:blackeye:

Next time you have the tank down, modify the hanger and let the pump drop down till the sock is just touching the baffle. That'll give you access to another 1.8 gallons of fuel and more stable pressure when running low.